PDA

View Full Version : How Many Layers of Wax or Sealant

SATracker
05-27-2018, 05:17 PM
I'm getting back into detailing after a couple of years hiatus. The other day I was reading through a post, and related responses, about waxes and sealants (specifically KSG). Some responses talked about putting on many multiple layers of KSG (but it could be any product). My understanding was that 2 coats of any sealant or wax was more than adequate (the second coat hitting a section that the first coat missed) and that anything more than 2 was, chemically, useless. Has something in the industry changed? Have the products changed? As I said, it's been a while and I'm just trying to catch up. Thanks, guys.

Ronin47
05-27-2018, 05:33 PM
I don’t believe in layering, I read a test years back that proved regardless of howmany layers of any lsp you apply you always only left with 1.

FUNX650
05-27-2018, 07:34 PM
I'm getting back into detailing
after a couple of years hiatus.

Has something in the industry changed?
Have the products changed?

Welcome back, to the wonderful
world of detailing! :xyxthumbs:

•Changes? {Please see #3 below}

1.) I’m pretty sure that there are still,
at the very least, two different/distinct
schools of thought regarding “Layering”.
(Neither of which I will respectively
decline to enter into a discussion.)

2.) I’m also pretty sure you will recall
this particular Mike Phillips’ saying
(which hasn’t changed):

"Find something you like
and use it often"

3.) If I may, I would like to change-up that MP
saying by adding the following specific language
(Note: applies only for this layering discussion):

”..whether it adds layers, or not!”

•The results of said amendment, in a nutshell,
encompasses my viewpoint of layering:

"Find something you like and
use it often...whether it
adds any layers, or not!”

Bob

rlmccarty2000
05-27-2018, 07:40 PM
KSG is a special case, but the rule of thumb is one coat is sufficient (wax or sealant) and two is ok to be sure you did not miss a spot. If in doubt check the product label for more information.

james751993
05-27-2018, 08:02 PM
I read a forum post a while back where a test on layering was dont with collinite915. From memory a the second layer added less than half of what the first layer did. The third layer added a fraction of what the second coat did. The fourth layer actually removed a significant chunk of the others... almost starting at square 1. Ive tried to find the forum post but cant locate it. Moral of the story... dont bother layering. Use the time to clean your interior or something like that.

-James

james751993
05-27-2018, 08:03 PM
I don’t believe in layering, I read a test years back that proved regardless of howmany layers of any lsp you apply you always only left with 1.

Was it a test using collinite 915 by any chance??

-James

Ronin47
05-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Was it a test using collinite 915 by any chance??

-James

No, but agree with your post.

dlc95
05-27-2018, 10:33 PM
Just one.

Sometimes I'll apply carnauba wax over a sealant. It's a $50.00 up charge.

Route246
05-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Wax and sealant will degrade over time. Applying a second layer is restoring it back to the point of optimal coverage. Even if you apply another coat of wax each week you are not really augmenting it in "thickness" or effectiveness. You are just restoring it to the point of when it is "fresh" on the paint.

SATracker
05-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. This is why I LOVE Autogeek's forum; and Mike Phillips is a beast!

fightnews
05-28-2018, 03:50 PM
I'm getting back into detailing after a couple of years hiatus. The other day I was reading through a post, and related responses, about waxes and sealants (specifically KSG). Some responses talked about putting on many multiple layers of KSG (but it could be any product). My understanding was that 2 coats of any sealant or wax was more than adequate (the second coat hitting a section that the first coat missed) and that anything more than 2 was, chemically, useless. Has something in the industry changed? Have the products changed? As I said, it's been a while and I'm just trying to catch up. Thanks, guys.

Yeah you can layer ceramic based products. I just did 2 layers of c2v3 then a week later a layer of polish angel high gloss. Looked great I think the layer of high gloss really did good.

https://image.ibb.co/jKxzY8/20180526_081628.jpg

Now in a few weeks or a month after the pollen is gone I can top it with a nice hybrid wax called famous. I always use a drying aid or something and it always seems to add to the look. If I was you I would forget about klasse sealant glaze there are so many better products now that are easier to use.

fightnews
05-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Just one.

Sometimes I'll apply carnauba wax over a sealant. It's a $50.00 up charge.

Nice!