PDA

View Full Version : DA polisher

Mariana
05-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Now that I know that my Makita 5000 C is useless as a DA I’m going to get one that works and I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me choose the best one [emoji4].
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

FrankS
05-27-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm sure you'll get different recommendations but if you're looking for a free spinning DA I would go with the Griots Garage 6". If you're looking for a gear driven orbital, I would go with the Flex 3401.

MarkD51
05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Now that I know that my Makita 5000 C is useless as a DA I’m going to get one that works and I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me choose the best one [emoji4].
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

As an old saying once went and I was told roughly, "When the only tool one has is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail".

I had to look this tool up. It is said to be a Concrete Planer. I'd say definitely not the right tool and that any decent DA would probably be an improvement.

The "best one" will come under many different shapes, sizes and styles, and you could get numerous recommendations.

On the cheap, the Porter Cable 7424XP, or the Griots GG6 are adequate machines, more compact, lighter, easier to handle, and can be outfitted with a variety of different size Backing Plates, and Pads. The general recommendations are usually 5.5" pads with 5" Backing Plate, 4" pads with a 3.5" Backing Plate, and 3" Pads with a 2-7/8" Backing Plate.

Lake Country sells all these Backing Plates, Griots also makes a nice 5" Ventilated Plate, all are available right here.

Either machine works just fine, particularly if you just do your vehicles, and a couple others here and there. The money saved can be used to buy all the Pads, and Plates, and numerous accessory products such as Pad Cleaners, Pad Conditioners, Pad Brushes,

Or, if you're willing to spend more, and want a more refined machine, then the Griots Boss Line, the Rupes, and the Flex Machines are ones to be had.

The Griots Boss and Flex Machines will not be well suited for running many of the various smaller Backing Plates, being that they are physically larger machines.

All Griots Machines carry a lifetime warrantee, so that's a great perk.

It's been my experience, that even just buying the "lowly" PC 7424XP Machine, once you acquire a host of a good quantity of various pads, plates, polishes, pad cleaners etc, you can easily invest a cool $400-$500 no problemo. Go to the Boss, Rupes, or Flex, you might then be looking at $700, $800 or more total to be initially well established. That has to be your choice.

Mariana
05-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Thank you so much Mark, I already have a decent amount of pads and other products, I really want to buy the best option so I can stick with it for a while. I also want to buy a new rotary, but that will be later on, for now my old Makita is fine... I will look at the options you gave me and make a decision [emoji4]

Ronin47
05-27-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm sure you'll get different recommendations but if you're looking for a free spinning DA I would go with the Griots Garage 6". If you're looking for a gear driven orbital, I would go with the Flex 3401.

Why should he get a 3401 when he already has a 5000C?

Ronin47
05-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Thanks!!!

Look into a Rupes Duetto.

FrankS
05-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Why should he get a 3401 when he already has a 5000C?

That's true, my bad. He already has a gear driven orbital in the 5000C. Read the question too fast.

JWallace
05-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Thanks!!!

Your Makita is still a DA polisher. It’s just a forced rotation like the flex 3401 and the new rupes Millie.

From everything I’ve read and seen online it doesn’t work well in the free spinning mode. But it’s still a DA polisher and should be good for anything you want to do.

It does have a short 5.5mm throw so if your looking for something with a larger throw then that’s a reason to look for a different polisher. The larger throw might speed things up but with pad stalling could be negligible.

Mariana
05-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Your Makita is still a DA polisher. It’s just a forced rotation like the flex 3401 and the new rupes Millie.

From everything I’ve read and seen online it doesn’t work well in the free spinning mode. But it’s still a DA polisher and should be good for anything you want to do.

It does have a short 5.5mm throw so if your looking for something with a larger throw then that’s a reason to look for a different polisher. The larger throw might speed things up but with pad stalling could be negligible.

Thanks!!

dennis hiip
05-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Maybe inappropriate and to add to the mix, take a look at Adams Swirl Killer. I got one and like it. Good price and holiday sale.

Mike@ShineStruck
05-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Maybe inappropriate and to add to the mix, take a look at Adams Swirl Killer. I got one and like it. Good price and holiday sale.

SK is the best 12mm mini imo.
Wish I could find a 2in BP combo that kept it smooth..
I still use my GG6 with HD 3in plate more as it fits in more areas

Also going GG6 with HD 3in you can use the LC thinpros which is the best combo for the Makita PO5000C weather 3in or 5.5 setups for either machine