PDA

View Full Version : Clean air vents

sito
05-22-2018, 05:00 AM
What is the proper way of cleaning vents?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

KyleBis2
05-22-2018, 05:30 AM
Theres alot of different ways that you can approach it. Normally i would use a steamer along with some long bristle brushes and a little apc. The steam gets deep into the vent and the apc with the brush does good for the outside parts. Scott from Dallas Paint Correction on youtube also showed how you can use foam paint brushes in the vent.

sito
05-22-2018, 09:39 AM
What is a good steamer for Detailing?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mwoywod
05-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Tornador and a boars hair brush. If you have access to compressed air, personally I think that investing $100 in a tornador classic is a better investment than steamers in that price range.

I use distilled water with a little squirt of N-914 inside my tornador reservoir

Eldorado2k
05-28-2018, 01:58 AM
Normally i would use a steamer along with some long bristle brushes and a little apc. The steam gets deep into the vent

IMO using a steamer to clean vents is not a good idea because all you’re really doing is introducing a bunch of moisture inside the dash. There’s no cleaning or disinfecting going on when you steam into the vents.

If you take your steamer and hold it several inches from your hand you’ll just wind up with a wet hand and nothing else, and the same thing happens when you steam into your vents.

The most effective way to easily clean dirty vents is to use foam swabs sprayed with your choice of cleaner.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180528/3aa984c0ec2612b46647fb9cf8d9c76e.heic

MarkD51
05-28-2018, 06:50 AM
In most cases I'd say to be the least intrusive, and least aggressive as possible, meaning I myself would probably stick to simpler old fashioned methods.

For just simple dusting I myself choose soft small brushes, there's a good number of very nice detailing brushes sold here.

When it's your own vehicle, then time, and how fast you get it done is commonly not a factor. Just take your time and enjoy the processes.

When it comes to removing stubborn cruds, dirts, smoke residues, and one must feel a need to resort to a wet cleaning method, the cleaning sticks-swabs shown earlier would be one tool to use. Or what I've done is use disposable Q-Tips and a mild cleaner. Such could be a variety of household APC's, a Glass Cleaner, or an approved Interior Cleaner. The Blackfire Cleaner works very nice and is safe.

The Q-Tips again can be utilized if one wishes to go to the extent of also placing a protectant on the Louvers-etc, and giving them a dressed finished appearance. I'd stick with something that is water based, and again, the Blackfire Multi-Use Protectant would be one that would get my vote, very nice product I've found.

I like the use of simple Q-Tips, they get dirty, you toss them, and simply reach for another.

crovello
05-28-2018, 08:59 AM
IMO using a steamer to clean vents is not a good idea because all you’re really doing is introducing a bunch of moisture inside the dash. There’s no cleaning or disinfecting going on when you steam into the vents.

If you take your steamer and hold it several inches from your hand you’ll just wind up with a wet hand and nothing else, and the same thing happens when you steam into your vents.

The most effective way to easily clean dirty vents is to use foam swabs sprayed with your choice of cleaner.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180528/3aa984c0ec2612b46647fb9cf8d9c76e.heic

where do you get those swabs?

PA DETAILER
05-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Q-tips and small brushes. Canned compressed air would be your friend here too.

robert2008
07-17-2022, 08:27 PM
Over time, dirt and dust can accumulate in car AC vents. If neglected, they would cause polluted air within your car and even mold growth, which emits a musty odor. That is why car vent cleaning must be regularly done once or twice a month or more if necessary.

luckydawg
07-18-2022, 05:37 AM
Over time, dirt and dust can accumulate in car AC vents. If neglected, they would cause polluted air within your car and even mold growth, which emits a musty odor. That is why car vent cleaning (https://www.charmcitycirculator.com/clean-car-air-vents/) must be regularly done once or twice a month or more if necessary.

Who is gonna clean their vents twice a month?
Do you?

WhiteShadow89
07-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Over time, dirt and dust can accumulate in car AC vents. If neglected, they would cause polluted air within your car and even mold growth, which emits a musty odor. That is why car vent cleaning (https://www.charmcitycirculator.com/clean-car-air-vents/) must be regularly done once or twice a month or more if necessary.

I don't disagree that the fact that air vents could do this on neglected cars, but every 2-4 weeks seems excessive.