PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax on Tinted Windows

Pages : [1] 2

Sonnie
05-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Being that D301 is silicone and carnauba wax... would it not be okay to use on aftermarket tinted windows? Applied by hand of course.

Spectra Photosync dealer stated Brillianize (plastic polish) or some sort of silicone wax was best to use, so I was thinking the D301 would be sufficient without having to buy something else.

Thanks!

Belair
05-21-2018, 11:44 PM
I prefer my windows to shed water in the rain, not to bead.

Route246
05-22-2018, 12:30 AM
Tints are on the inside. Are you thinking of applying this to the interior surfaces of your tinted windows?

BudgetPlan1
05-22-2018, 04:36 AM
D301 has abrasives in it, no?

Outstanding polish and wax in one bottle, premium AIO product

Use after the DA Microfiber Cutting Compound or by itself as a one step process

Should be applied with a dual action buffer like the Porter Cable 7424 XP and the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Finishing Disc Buffing Pad

Removes very fine swirls, oxidation, etc. while leaving valuable protection behind

MattPersman
05-22-2018, 05:38 AM
I sure wouldn’t it does have abrasives in it as far as I know.

They are wanting a slick surface so it glides down the belt molding as easy as possible with less chance of damage long term

Any type of spray wax or sealant would work if you feel the need. Even a waterless was or QD should fit the bill

I can’t imagine optiseal being bad, 303 spray wax, ultimate quick wax, optimum wax, dodo tropical red mist, Blackfire waterless, jay Leno QD just to name a handful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBAILEY
05-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Try Plexus or M37 Plex-All if you want a very gentle polishing of tinted window films.

Sonnie
05-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Yes... this would be on the inside and applied by hand.

I decided to call Meguiar's and inquire about D301. According to "Brian" the D301 does not have any abrasives in it and should be okay on tint if applied by hand with a foam pad. He says he might not use a microfiber pad to apply it... definitely not a polisher, which I had not planned to use anyway.

lol.. decided to call back again, and this time "Ben" says it could have some light abrasives it in due to it being used in a system, but I don't think he really knew. He says "Ultimate" would be fine since it is pure wax with silicone in it.

I got this because I thought it being "Specially formulated to optimize surface after applying DA Microfiber Correction Compound" ... would mean the "Correction Compound" is what has the abrasives and this is the wax coat to apply to make it smooth and shiny.

I'll probably just send it back and get some Ultimate or what some of you have recommended.

Thanks!

Sonnie
05-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Hmmm... may need to scratch the Ultimate idea too since it is hydrophobic ...

You should NOT use hydrophobic products on interior glass. I hear of lots of people doing it but the simple fact is that hydrophobic means water droplet formation. Water droplet formation means 'fog'. A hydrophobic product is the OPPOSITE of anti-fog. It is not even fog neutral - it actually will encourage fog formation. What is worse is that these sorts of products are rarely removable with anything short of a polish - you can't polish the interior glass easily because you cannot get access.

So I am sorry to say that anything hydrophobic, on the interior is a very poor idea. I am shocked that someone from Optimum would advocate this - in a cold damp environment, such use could potentially lead to an accident.

DBAILEY
05-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Try Plexus or M37 Plex-All if you want a very gentle polishing of interior tinted window films. It is one of the things the product was designed for. Why are you insisting on an AIO for interior glass?

mwoywod
05-22-2018, 02:21 PM
If you're using it with a polyfoam wax applicator pad you'll fine. Just be smart with the amount of pressure you're applying.

In the past I've used HD Speed many times by hand with a foam applicator on aftermarket tinted windows for cleaning off smokers film. I just used really light pressure and applied it like I would a finishing wax.

Sonnie
05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Try Plexus or M37 Plex-All if you want a very gentle polishing of interior tinted window films. It is one of the things the product was designed for. Why are you insisting on an AIO for interior glass?

Not insisting on anything... simply inquiring about various products and possibly use what Prestige Spectra Photosync says is best to use. They state a silicone wax will prevent oxygen from penetrating the tint and therefore prevent oxidation.

However, I also want to be careful and not get into the hydrophobic properties that some waxes might provide... which now has me a bit reluctant to use the D301. As eluded to above... it won't be easy to remove if it doesn't work out right.

The McKee's 37 Plex-All looks interesting and claims to be "anti-fog" capable, but I wonder if it has any silicone in it.

DBAILEY
05-22-2018, 02:53 PM
I actually like the M37 one better that the original Plexus product. It is also very good at keeping headlights, motorcycle helmet visors and the windscreens clean and clear. Not sure about the silicone though. It leaves a slick feel but not greasy at all.

Sonnie
05-22-2018, 03:27 PM
The M37 Plex-All sounds similar to the Brillianize actually. It makes sense that it has some sort of polymers in it for protection. I think I'll try it, especially since it has the anti-fog abilities.

Route246
05-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Yes... this would be on the inside and applied by hand.

I decided to call Meguiar's and inquire about D301. According to "Brian" the D301 does not have any abrasives in it and should be okay on tint if applied by hand with a foam pad. He says he might not use a microfiber pad to apply it... definitely not a polisher, which I had not planned to use anyway.

lol.. decided to call back again, and this time "Ben" says it could have some light abrasives it in due to it being used in a system, but I don't think he really knew. He says "Ultimate" would be fine since it is pure wax with silicone in it.

I got this because I thought it being "Specially formulated to optimize surface after applying DA Microfiber Correction Compound" ... would mean the "Correction Compound" is what has the abrasives and this is the wax coat to apply to make it smooth and shiny.

I'll probably just send it back and get some Ultimate or what some of you have recommended.

Thanks!

Not sure what your objective is. I only have experience with 3M film. Maintenance processes explicitly say to use window cleaner that does not contain ammonia (which will dissolve the bond and is used for film removal) or mild soap and water. The local installer (3M installers are territoriality dispersed through franchise agreement) I use told me that the film is "self-healing" from scratches and has in excess of 200 layers. He told me to use Stoner or other ammonia-free glass cleaner and nothing more. The film should remain clear on its own.

Calendyr
05-22-2018, 04:33 PM
I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Tints are on the inside, are you talking about applying D301 inside of the car?

Otherwise, it makes no difference what you use on the outside, tinted or not.

I always do a light polishing of the windows when I polishing the car, especially with a cleaner wax like D301, D166, D151 or HD Speed. It will help remove any bonded contaminants, fill the micro scratches and make the window look perfect. Plus it applied a layer of protective wax that will last a while.

Only exception is the windshield, I applied a sealant on my windshield once, never again! For windshield, the only thing I use is Aquapel. Alternatives like glass coatings should work too. Or rain-x but that product has no durability at all. So I don't bother with it.