PDA

View Full Version : Pad experiences....long throw DA (5" and 3") with wool vs microfiber

Pages : [1] 2

JCDetails
05-21-2018, 10:12 AM
So, Rupes has released new coarse and medium wool pads for their DAs.

LC has had some wool options for DAs for a while now as well, in the Blue and Purple foamed variety.

What is the benefit behind the wool pads like Rupes vs your standard megs or LC microfiber? Do they cut better? Finish better? Both?

I've heard MF polishing to be more like slicing with a scalpel whereas wool fibers tend to be chopping/hacking....

LEDetailing
05-21-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm curious as well. I'm sure the regular youtube reviewers will get out some reviews soon. I really want to try Rupes new wool, but I want to wait and hear if they are better than MF. It sounds as though that might be the case.

JCDetails
05-21-2018, 10:27 AM
also seems like maybe the longer nap wool pads can maybe go longer before getting loaded up? Not sure.

Ronin47
05-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Rupes Wool especially the yellow long nap has changed detailing for me, resistance to matting,awesome cut,runs cool,high gloss haze free finish-simply put heaven sent.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-21-2018, 11:53 AM
MF, for the most part, still has a bit more cut than wool on a DA.

Rupes Wool especially the yellow long nap has changed detailing for me, resistance to matting,awesome cut,runs cool,high gloss haze free finish-simply put heaven sent.
How do you clean these when done polishing for the day?

JCDetails
05-21-2018, 01:13 PM

What MF pads were you using before?

rlmccarty2000
05-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Are the new Rupes wool pads for the DA or the new Mille? The Mille is like the Flex and doesn’t do well with microfiber pads so Rupes had to come up with something.

JCDetails
05-21-2018, 01:20 PM
Are the new Rupes wool pads for the DA or the new Mille? The Mille is like the Flex and doesn’t do well with microfiber pads so Rupes had to come up with something.

they are for both. They are not explicitly listed for the mille.

Ronin47
05-21-2018, 02:51 PM
MF, for the most part, still has a bit more cut than wool on a DA.

How do you clean these when done polishing for the day?

Just like any other pad, the spent product doesn’t cling to it, normal mist of apc under a tap of warm water.

What MF pads were you using before?

All.

All machine types.

DaveT435
05-21-2018, 05:02 PM

Now why did you have to go and make them sound that good, I'm sure it's going to cost me. lol I was actually thinking the cutting pad looked interesting, along the lines of CarPro Cool Wool.

rlmccarty2000
05-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Ok you can get your commission from Rupes, I’m buying some. Lol

Calendyr
05-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Hopefully they will have better durability on long throw machines. My experience with Meguiars Microfiber cutting disks (5 inch ones) is that they are amazing and only last about 10 panels before they start to delaminate. I have tried using foam as a replacement, but foam simply doesn't cut as well. I will give Rupes pads a try for sure, I hope they were designed to take the abuse long throw machines put them through.

Ronin47
05-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Hopefully they will have better durability on long throw machines. My experience with Meguiars Microfiber cutting disks (5 inch ones) is that they are amazing and only last about 10 panels before they start to delaminate. I have tried using foam as a replacement, but foam simply doesn't cut as well. I will give Rupes pads a try for sure, I hope they were designed to take the abuse long throw machines put them through.

I never go more than 3 panels on any pads before switching and brush on the fly.

DetailTrail
05-22-2018, 01:48 AM
also seems like maybe the longer nap wool pads can maybe go longer before getting loaded up? Not sure.

This has been my experience with the purple LC wool, kinda like them for bad areas then refine with MF. (don't like the lint explosion)
Will be trying the blue wools next, forgot I had some 5" ones , all I need is 3" ers and set to go.

Mike Phillips
05-22-2018, 07:11 AM
I have tried using foam as a replacement, but foam simply doesn't cut as well.

Or another way of saying that is, fibers are a form of abrasives.

This is why historically, microfiber pads are great for the correction step but foam pads will tend to leave a better finish for the polishing step over the widest spectrum of paint systems, (hard paint vs soft paint)

:)