PDA

View Full Version : Had a run in with some birds the other day...

lostinheadguy
05-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Hello Mike and friends!

Long-time occasional lurker.

I recently bought a newer pre-owned car, and I've been quite smitten with it - that is, until a couple of birds decided to graze my passenger side doors. The aftermath follows. Apologies for the rain covering, the weather hasn't been particularly great. Rear door on left, front door on right. That's really the extent of it.

63592 63593

Thankfully, just scratches and a small ding that is likely a candidate for PDR. The car is a 2013 Toyota with the Blizzard Pearl white metallic paint.

I can feel the scratches with my fingernail, but just barely, and my fingernails don't catch or get stopped in their tracks when I move across them. For a comparison, I have a much older vehicle with more wear and tear, with scratches that my fingernails do catch on and are stopped by. The scratches on the new vehicle actually feel like something is sitting on top of / sticking out of the clear coat rather than sitting down in. A local detailer told me that they could get them 90% gone (that's all I really want, it's my daily driver) with some aggressive polishing.

What's the best course of action here?

Would these scratches become less noticeable with a normal all-over-the-car polish you'd get from a local detailer's higher-end package? Or would something like this need further correcting? I'm fearful that polishing aggressively in that particular area will take off too much clear coat, considering the car is only five or so years old. I know a coat of wax or sealant would hide them temporarily, but I really just want to have the job done and forget they're there. Are these even scratches at all, and more on the level of scuffs?

Thanks in advance!

rlmccarty2000
05-20-2018, 07:26 PM
He is right. A good detailer could probably make that unnoticeable without taking off too much clear. It would only take a few minutes to make that almost disappear. IMHO.