PDA

View Full Version : Compound ideas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cruzscarwash
05-19-2018, 06:36 PM
So I've been using Meg's D300 alot and love it's work time, minimal dusting and great finish, the low price point is a bonus.

With that said what compounds cut just as well and finish just as good if not better with little to no dusting??

Bonus would be close to d300 price range but not a must.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PaulMys
05-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Since I only do my own vehicles and always baby them, I really have not had the chance to try out too many true compounds.

I've used Megs UC a few times. Worked Ok. But my wife went through the swirl-o-matic earlier this spring (Don't ask...Lol) and I used Griots Fast Correcting Cream to get rid of the nasty swirls incurred from that.

I found it to work very well. Almost zero dusting, had a great working time, and removed pretty easily. Finished down just like a polish. IMO

It's not as cost friendly as the Megs, but for me, the Griots will probably last me forever.

Cruzscarwash
05-19-2018, 06:56 PM
I do like groits and have already burned through a bottle just looking at others as well

PaulMys
05-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Ok, cool.

Well that's about all I had to say about compounds. Lol

jolo
05-19-2018, 07:02 PM
How about Menzerna FG400?

Cruzscarwash
05-19-2018, 07:03 PM
How about Menzerna FG400?I've been eye balling it , what are your thoughts on it?

jolo
05-19-2018, 07:07 PM
I like it a lot. It CUTS and finish pretty good. I always follow with Menzerna 3500 or 3800 then seal.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Menz F400 and Pinnacle Advance Compound are nearly identical. Both fall into the DAT (diminishing abrasives -- long work times and abrasives break down). Both will dust!

D300 is SMAT, GG Fast Correcting Cream is (as I understand it) a proprietary version of SMAT. The great thing is no dusting. Smell can be a bit overwhelming after many hours of use. But, Pinnacle Advanced Compound or BOSS Fast Correcting Cream are my go to's.

jolo
05-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Dusting is minimal just don't let it "dry" on you.

rlmccarty2000
05-19-2018, 08:33 PM
My two favorites are D300 and FG 400. I have been tempted to try CarPro’s new compound. I hear it’s pretty good.

Cruzscarwash
05-19-2018, 08:36 PM
My two favorites are D300 and FG 400. I have been tempted to try CarPro’s new compound. I hear it’s pretty good.What are your thoughts between the two?

DaveT435
05-19-2018, 08:49 PM
My two favorites are D300 and FG 400. I have been tempted to try CarPro’s new compound. I hear it’s pretty good.

I just ordered the new CarPro's compound a couple days ago. I've definitely got a vehicle to test it out on. I'm sure I'll end up using it on a Flash pad.

DaveT435
05-19-2018, 08:53 PM
What are your thoughts between the two?

I've never used D300. I like FG 400, can be kind of a pain to wipe off. I don't know what kind of machine you're using, that FCC is one of my favorites with a long throw.

dlc95
05-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Menz F400 and Pinnacle Advance Compound are nearly identical. Both fall into the DAT (diminishing abrasives -- long work times and abrasives break down). Both will dust!

D300 is SMAT, GG Fast Correcting Cream is (as I understand it) a proprietary version of SMAT. The great thing is no dusting. Smell can be a bit overwhelming after many hours of use. But, Pinnacle Advanced Compound or BOSS Fast Correcting Cream are my go to's.

From what I understand FG400 starts with micro abrasives clumped together, which break apart through the buffing process.

"Menzerna FG400 uses, what has been described to me, as Agglomeration Abrasive Technology.

Agglomeration, according to Marian-Webster, means:
the action or process of collecting in a massa heap or cluster of usually disparate elements

In terms of polishing abrasives, this defines Menzerna as a diminishing abrasive polish. The primary crystal aluminum oxide abrasives are joined together in agglomerations in order to higher level of cutting action with less abrasive load (less abrasives in the compound). Friction will break the larger abrasives apart (fracturing) until you are left with the primary crystal abrasives.

By using modern abrasive crystal refining, Menzerna looks to be attempting offer the best of both worlds. The initial high level of leveling that a diminishing abrasive offers as well as the high quality of finish that a non-diminishing abrasive offers. By using a lesser amount of abrasive powder in the compound, Menzerna can offer a wetter product that will dust less and has a higher potential to finish paint."

Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound vs. Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound (https://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/40948-meguiars-m105-ultra-cut-compound-vs-menzerna-fg400-fast-gloss-compound.html)

dlc95
05-19-2018, 10:49 PM
D300 is a really unique compound. Very wet, and very easy to use. The wetness seems to keep the abraded paint from attaching to the abrasives, so it can continue cutting. It actually reminds me a lot of Ultimate Compound.

Nothing I've used dusts less than D300 though.