PDA

View Full Version : Cheapo microfiber towels?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
05-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Is there a difference in cheapo towels vs chemical guys /auto geek?
They are made in China.

I am shocked by price of chemicals guys price

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

fightnews
05-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Big difference u get what you pay for. Having said that stay away from chem guys their stuff is a rip off

Route246
05-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Is there a difference in cheapo towels vs chemical guys /auto geek?
They are made in China.

I am shocked by price of chemicals guys price

There are usually differences but China and Korea are not monolithic. Microfiber manufacturing equipment is very expensive and requires a substantial capital investment to setup a factory.

The only difference that a consumer can actually discern with certainty is GSM (grams per square meter). All other evaluation is going to be at the mercy of the truthfulness of the supplier or otherwise subjective and environmental-dependent.

sito
05-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Big difference u get what you pay for. Having said that stay away from chem guys their stuff is a rip offWhy do you think their stuff are ripped off?

Route246
05-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Why do you think their stuff are ripped off?

Might be referring to sentiment that CG is expensive (it is, in many cases), caters more to the consumer segment rather than professional and they have a very effective marketing plan which turns off a lot of people. They have some diamonds in the rough (pads, niche products, some of their soaps and shampoos, for instance) and while their products are mostly competent they are seldom in anyone's top choice for a particular product function.

dennis hiip
05-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Once again, Costco towels are inexpensive and really pretty good.

Route246
05-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Once again, Costco towels are inexpensive and really pretty good.

Agree 100% but expect disagreement here about this sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

DBAILEY
05-18-2018, 12:23 PM
There are some decent cheapo towels out there. I look and try to see if i can see the backing material. If the MF loops aren't dense enough and I can see the backing material then I will pass (like that AG Mango all purpose towel). The Viking brand towels are decent. You can usually find 35-40 packs for $15-18

Coopers ST
05-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Towels are one of if not the most expensive part of detailing. It's one thing to justify a $35 bottle of wax, or a $10 buffer pad, it's hard to justify a $5 wash cloth size towel to wipe off wax that you may need 4 or 5 of and if you drop it it's now a wheel towel. Or a $30 drying towel. Towels are one thing I'm not as forthcoming about to my wife.

sito
05-18-2018, 05:13 PM
The towel cost $15 sheet. 10 *15=150

I need alot towels since drying car requires 20 towels

Route246
05-18-2018, 05:17 PM
Towels are one of if not the most expensive part of detailing. It's one thing to justify a $35 bottle of wax, or a $10 buffer pad, it's hard to justify a $5 wash cloth size towel to wipe off wax that you may need 4 or 5 of and if you drop it it's now a wheel towel. Or a $30 drying towel. Towels are one thing I'm not as forthcoming about to my wife.

I didn't know there was a $5 wash cloth towel. I looked, I saw, I gasped. LOL.

Eldorado2k
05-18-2018, 06:07 PM
The towel cost $15 sheet. 10 *15=150

I need alot towels since drying car requires 20 towels

20 towels to dry a vehicle? No way.

Just get yourself 2 large waffle weave towels. Preferably 70/30 blend. Guarantee you can get your vehicle fully dried with 2 towels.

Route246
05-18-2018, 07:44 PM
20 towels to dry a vehicle? No way.

Just get yourself 2 large waffle weave towels. Preferably 70/30 blend. Guarantee you can get your vehicle fully dried with 2 towels.

I use about 20 (16x16) per car just for paint but I'm pretty inefficient. I'm using spray wax as a drying aid so I'm actually buffing it as I dry. I use 2 (one per hand) on each section, right+left hood, roof, rear (12), sides (4), front (2), trim/mirrors (2). Like I said, I'm inefficient but once a towel is done with a section it gets tossed into the bin and 2 clean ones come out. I don't fold them in quarters, either, I use them flat in my hand. I have more than enough towels to be this inefficient, though. I have separate waffle weaves for the glass (which I do fold in quarters) and separate MF for the jambs, under the hood, wheels, etc.

Call me crazy, I confess....

rlmccarty2000
05-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Wow 20 towels! Two medium Big Blues from AG does it for me and I use a drying aid. CG towels are not bad. I used to get the yellow and black ones shipped monthly to me from Amazon until they went up in price. I like the short nap on one side for various jobs and the long nap side for other jobs.

Eldorado2k
05-18-2018, 09:41 PM
I use about 20 (16x16) per car just for paint but I'm pretty inefficient. I'm using spray wax as a drying aid so I'm actually buffing it as I dry. I use 2 (one per hand) on each section, right+left hood, roof, rear (12), sides (4), front (2), trim/mirrors (2). Like I said, I'm inefficient but once a towel is done with a section it gets tossed into the bin and 2 clean ones come out. I don't fold them in quarters, either, I use them flat in my hand. I have more than enough towels to be this inefficient, though. I have separate waffle weaves for the glass (which I do fold in quarters) and separate MF for the jambs, under the hood, wheels, etc.

Call me crazy, I confess....

That does sound kinda crazy + exhausting due to what I imagine must be contorting in weird positions while drying the vehicle. No folding of the towels also results in less of the towel making even contact with the paint.

I personally don’t care for small drying towels and won’t settle for anything less than a 24”x36” drying towel. [with the exception of a Cobra waffle weave, which is a good towel with an inexplicable shape so I rarely ever use it]

I used a mix of Ech2o/Reload as a drying aid on this car yesterday and all I needed was two 24”x36” waffle weaves folded into quarters to get it done.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180519/38ffba3df00e1dc271c2b1bc52c71fe7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180519/9d7644f043a2e75d3111f2c2e6d4d84c.jpg