PDA

View Full Version : Is it LSP Ready?

Pages : [1] 2

D
02-06-2008, 01:16 PM
What does LSP ready mean to you? Please explain your answer in detail.

Gary Sword
02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Let's Start Partying - no explaination necessary.

Surfer
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
LSP to me just means its clean, and prepped for nice wax/sealant.

When I 1st started detailing our vehicles, everytime I kept seeing LSP I thought I was reading LSD.....thought detailers were druggies or something lol

D
02-06-2008, 01:31 PM
LSP to me just means its clean, and prepped for nice wax/sealant.

So wash, clay bar, then wax/ sealant? It doesnt include the removal of imperfections?

Sorry, I know Im being picky. But Im looking for very thorough answers here. Theres a reason Im doing this, it will help a lot of people for several reasons.

Surfer
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
So wash, clay bar, then wax/ sealant? It doesnt include the removal of imperfections?

Sorry, I know Im being picky. But Im looking for very thorough answers here. Theres a reason Im doing this, it will help a lot of people for several reasons.I don't detail for a living, only do our vehicles. So to me technically yes, wash/clay/polish/aio then onto LSP. I wouldn't inlcude touching up every month or two in that though.

But there are also detailers where a wash is fine and to them doesn't need claying and they will go to some type of AIO, then whatever LSP. They may not polish, so paint may be lsp ready and clean, but still have swirls etc.

Man this could get complicated lol

D
02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Good. There is no right or wrong answer here. Im just trying to get everyones honest opinion.

Jimmie
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
That you have your paint prep to a level acceptable to you on that particular car and are confident in the LSP bonding to what lies beneath.

LOL Surfer:D :D LSD

D
02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
But what is acceptable to you Jimmie?

pirex
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
For me is that the surface is clean, no swirls (if possible) and try to get all the imperfections out of the paint. Then its LSP time!

makdaddy626
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
To me, even as a single individual, "LSP ready" means different things on different cars, at different times...

If you're detailing a show car, LSP ready means the paint is as perfect as I can make it.
If you're detailing a daily driver, it may mean as perfect as I'm willing to make it.
If you're talking about detailing an older vehicle in bad shape, LSP ready may mean as close to perfect as I think I can safely make it.
Or... sometimes, it just means, I've done the minimum to make sure a sealant or wax will bond/cure properly, if polishing isn't in the plans right then.

budman3
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
It all depends on what type of detailing you are doing. A recon detailer may be under tight deadlines and may only be able to remove 75-85% of the imperfections. A mobile detailer who deals with everyday people may only remove 85-90% of the imperfections. The finish still looks great but only other detailers will notice that it isn't perfect. And then there are the concours detailers where perfection is mandatory. It shouldn't be expected that all detailers are required to be a concours detailer. It takes a lot of time and effort to remove every last defect and it simply is a waste of time and money to do this on a Saturn. If the customer wants you to get it perfect, then you should. However, if a customer is only willing to let you polish the paint for 3 hours max, it is up to that detailer to make the finish as good as possible.

(the % and names of detailers I listed are just generalizations... just so you can get the point...)

budman3
02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
To me, even as a single individual, "LSP ready" means different things on different cars, at different times...

If you're detailing a show car, LSP ready means the paint is as perfect as I can make it.
If you're detailing a daily driver, it may mean as perfect as I'm willing to make it.
If you're talking about detailing an older vehicle in bad shape, LSP ready may mean as close to perfect as I think I can safely make it.
Or... sometimes, it just means, I've done the minimum to make sure a sealant or wax will bond/cure properly, if polishing isn't in the plans right then.

Now why couldn't I word my reply like yours. I agree 100% :cheers:.

MadOzodi
02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Yep, what makdaddy626 said.

Driven Auto Detail
02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
LSP = Last Step Product

To me, it means protection (wax or sealant). No matter if you wash only, wash/clay only, or wash/clay/polish, you're LSP is going to be your wax or sealant.

When I hear someone say "LSP ready", I assume they have taken the proper steps to wash, clay, and/or polish the paint to achieve maximum bonding, longevity, etc. out of the LSP that is being utilized.

The steps before the LSP are dependent on the paint condition. It is also dependent on the needs of the customer or the desires that you yourself have for the vehicle.

Jimmie
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
But what is acceptable to you Jimmie?

Like a bunch I'm so OCD that I always want to see perfect but that's not always possible due to time constraints (may have to use an AIO rather than an agressive polish) or product vs clearcoat (ran into this before Menz ceramiclear polish). So there are times when I'd settle for 90% when I'd rather have 100%. Either way "acceptable" was to make it as good as I possibly could with the constraints. Then to LSP.