PDA

View Full Version : Tape the edge of window

sito
05-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Do you use painter tape to cover window edge? I saw YouTube video that shows a guy tape up window edge so his polisher won't cause smudge

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

DBAILEY
05-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Yes, I tape off all the trim and rubber seals that may come in contact with the polishing pad before I start. Takes about 20 minutes to do. Its worth the time.

TTQ B4U
05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
I no longer tape. Once cleaned and ready for the buffer, I treat all the trim and leave the product vs wiping it off (usually WETS) I rarely hit the trim when buffing but when it happens it wipes right off when I'm done and when completed but prior to an IPA/Eraser wipe down, I wipe all the excess off trim. Window wise, I usually polish the glass anyway so it's moot on window smudges.

MarkD51
05-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Yeah it takes good time, and there's that extra added expense of tapes. But there's that saying "better to be safe than sorry".

Sad thing about most modern vehicles, every damn thing is stuck on with double faced tapes. They're not like 68 Camaros where you can reach inside a fender, de-badge them for polishing purposes, and go about your business.

Any tape, and going overboard IMO is better than not walking those extra little steps.