PDA

View Full Version : Seems like a scary email, how much would you charge....

Pages : [1] 2

Maestro Sam
05-15-2018, 04:33 PM
Got a email from this client and how much would you charge for a work like this?

Hello. A passenger had a major digestive issue in my car on Sunday. The window was open for some air when it happened, so I imagine there will be a need for the door skin to be removed. The majority of it ended up on the carpet in between the seat and the door, so I would also suspect that the passenger seat will also need to be cleaned and removed to disinfect the carpet in that area. I cleaned it the best I could, but an odor remains which can only be professionally taken care of. Could you give me an estimate of services, let me know how quickly you could fit me in and estimate how long it would take to complete. Thanks so much!

Anyone have experience cleaning feces or vomit or should I pass on this job?

PaulMys
05-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Ummmm.......... I would pass.

FUNX650
05-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Ummmm.......... I would pass.
^^^:iagree:

{I lean towards leaving biohazard
clean-ups to the certified Pros.}

Also:
The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/108393-learned-skill-turning-detailing-work-down-mike-phillips.html)

Bob

Coopers ST
05-15-2018, 07:57 PM
$5k because I don't want to do it, but don't want to tell someone I don't want to work on their car. This way if they say ok it's worth it tome, if they say no, it's still worth it to me

PaulMys
05-15-2018, 08:09 PM
If I wanted to deal with digestive projectiles, be it from either end, I'd be a nurse or plumber.

Let alone scrubbing them off of a surface such as carpeting.

No thank you...

Evan.J
05-15-2018, 08:43 PM
There must a certain line one must draw when it comes what jobs to pass on. First and foremost you should always keep health and safety in mind at all times. When dealing with bodily fluids I would never recommend taking on those unless you have all the proper biohazard safety equipment and proper training for treating these.

It’s ok to decline a job.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-15-2018, 08:58 PM
I got a call last week from a certified installer (name not being mentioned) of aftermarket protective products who offer warranties. They stated they were looking for an IDA Certified member in my area who could 1.) do an interior only job for their client and 2.) The interior job had large amount of blood to clean up.

I politely declined for several reasons, but in this case, I didn't even refer my buddy.

Sounds like Bob is correct, time to call Servpro, who are all IICRC Certified, Trained and equipped for bio/hazard clean-up. Keep in mind, there are way too many bacterial infections that are now growing antibiotic resistant. Just sayin' :)

PaulMys
05-15-2018, 09:15 PM
I got a call last week from a certified installer (name not being mentioned) of aftermarket protective products who offer warranties. They stated they were looking for an IDA Certified member in my area who could 1.) do an interior only job for their client and 2.) The interior job had large amount of blood to clean up.

I politely declined for several reasons, but in this case, I didn't even refer my buddy.

Sounds like Bob is correct, time to call Servpro, who are all IICRC Certified, Trained and equipped for bio/hazard clean-up. Keep in mind, there are way too many bacterial infections that are now growing antibiotic resistant. Just sayin' :)

Most eloquently put, Paul. And exactly on target.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Most eloquently put, Paul. And exactly on target.

Hey Paul! Actually Evan said it better, but I'll take the compliment :)

PaulMys
05-15-2018, 09:20 PM
Hey Paul! Actually Evan said it better, but I'll take the compliment :)

Both of you are right!

custmsprty
05-15-2018, 09:46 PM
I'd pass. To me cleaning up vomit is house keeping work, not detailing. But that's pretty much how I feel about interiors anyway, it's cleaning just like cleaning your house, your bathroom, your kitchen, carpet etc. :cheers:

Calendyr
05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Same here. I chose to become a detailer because I want to do something I like. This doesn't fit the type of work that interests me.

Maestro Sam
05-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Hmm I was just curious on what her situation was but she is not replying so that is good. I cleaned up vomit, poop from dog, and blood from paws of a dog from an interior. This email was a bit scary for me so I decided to draw my line here, thanks guys. I have cleaned up moist poop that was dripped beneath the mercedes ml350 back seats before from a dog, but I remember it was not a pretty task and the smell was very overwhelming. I had extracted and used a enzyme cleaner but a faint smell was still present. Cleaning up human feces I think I will pass if that is what she is talking about via her message towards me.
If you guys ever had to clean up vomit, feces/urine from animal, how much would you charge anyways? I remember cleaning up the dog feces and I had charge only $100 and took about 2 hours.

JKDesign
05-16-2018, 07:26 AM
In my experience the issue can be covered under most automotive insurance policies under comprehensive deductible, and it should be brought to a place like ServPro as others have said.

SWETM
05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Politely turn down the job. But refer her in the right direction where she could have it sorted out. And ServPro seems to be the place to refer her to. And explain why you can't do the job.

I see some of the answers where I as a customer would not contact again to other detailing work. The customer service and what words could be said about you would not be business like. Why not be nice and humble when you don't want the job in question. Naah if you are honest and helpfull even if it's not a job you wont or can do. Would benefit your business in every ways.