PDA

View Full Version : Having difficulty finding swirls and scratches on paint, but know they are there.

CGC
05-14-2018, 11:06 PM
After washing, and decontaminating my truck yeserday, I went to the gas station at night, and lo and behold I could see light scratches and swirl marks very well.

When I went home I had a very difficult time seeing them with my headlamp, flashlight or phone.

During the day I could see a them a little bit but the sun's reflection get in the way.

I have a tacoma with a gold metallic paint.

Does anyone else have this problem with light colored vehicles.

I was playing with various lights and if I held my flashlight up high over my head I could see the imperfections a little better through the reflection.

willowcat11
05-15-2018, 01:41 AM
Oh yeah I totally have that problem with not only my own car, but other light cars that I do. I own a 2001 Honda CRV SE, and it is a light gold color.

The only way that I can Really see the swirls and scratches is by doing exactly what you said. I went to a gas station at night. Otherwise no matter what kind of light I use I can’t see them.

Some people are good with saying, “hey nobody can see them so I might as well not mess with them.” But my concience AAAAND my OCD will not allow me to do that. �� So once I know they are there under the gas station lights, I then plan my day to do my car and go about polishing it. But I don’t get so anal that I have to keep checking at night to make sure I’ve gotten all the possible swirls perfectly out. I’d go insane. This is with my own car. I just polish it out and be done with it. Silver, White, Light Gold cars will look great. You’re dark cars you are looking at the flawless swirl free finish. On these light cars it’s just about the shine.

Eldorado2k
05-15-2018, 02:31 AM
Someone should film a youtube video of them using their cordless Flex at 3am @ the gas station just for shis & giggles. Just imagine the reaction you’d get from the attendant standing inside behind locked doors.[emoji23]Lol.

fightnews
05-15-2018, 04:47 AM
That's a big benefit of having a light colored car

CGC
05-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Someone should film a youtube video of them using their cordless Flex at 3am @ the gas station just for shis & giggles. Just imagine the reaction you’d get from the attendant standing inside behind locked doors.[emoji23]Lol.

Now that would be funny. Lol

CGC
05-15-2018, 08:01 AM

Now that would be funny!

Rsurfer
05-15-2018, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=CGC;1575530]
During the day I could see a them a little bit but the sun's reflection get in the way.

When using the sun to spot swirls, look at the sides and not directly where the sun spot is shinning.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Turn all the lights off in your garage and then use a good swirl finder light.

Like mentioned, light colored metallic paints are the best colors for people that don't want to see swirls.

:)

h8dirtycars
05-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Turn all the lights off in your garage and then use a good swirl finder light. :)

Hey Mike I've been wanting to ask this question for a while, and since you added to this thread, hoping you will see this.

Is there a difference between a "good swirl finder light", and say a quality flashlight like a SureFire LED tactical light with about a 350 lumen rating?