PDA

View Full Version : Which bottles hold up the best?

Pages : [1] 2

sudsmobile
05-12-2018, 11:32 PM
I thought I was purchasing decent quality bottles, all Tolco 16 and 36 ounces bottles. The clear style. I've lost now 6 of the 36 ounce bottles to my tire cleaner and one with orange degreaser. The bottles are deteriorating and basically falling apart at the threads. Not even from use. I opened my trailer this morning to discover the orange degreaser bottle broken. It's obvious these bottles were not made for these heavy duty cleaners. The 16oz bottles work fine but I use them for things like interior cleaner, clay lube, fragrance, apparently nothing harsh enough to eat the bottle. What kind of bottles are you using? Meguiars?

tmdals0213
05-13-2018, 12:27 AM
I use Meguiars bottles as well as repurpose bottles that had other brand chemicals but with similar properties (ex. Some APC 16oz bottle from x brand to fill up diluted megs APC so I can use it for interiors)

tmdals0213
05-13-2018, 12:30 AM
Also for anything caustic/heavy duty cleaning, I rinse out the sprayer at the end of the day or a job if your commute to the other site is give or take 30min to an hr away (over generalizing).

Either way, at the end of the day, I get a small bucket, throw wheel brightener sprayer, tar remover sprayer, and iron remover sprayer inside the bucket so it gets rinsed out by spraying water thru it.

Haven’t had a problem after I’ve implemented this routine.

GEM65
05-13-2018, 01:12 AM
i only had luck with HDPE plastic bottle and full plastic trigger sprayer.

PA DETAILER
05-13-2018, 05:03 AM
I use Meguiars bottles as well as repurpose bottles that had other brand chemicals but with similar properties (ex. Some APC 16oz bottle from x brand to fill up diluted megs APC so I can use it for interiors)

:iagree:

KyleBis2
05-13-2018, 05:26 AM
HDPE bottles should offer adequate strength for heavy duty alkaline and acidic cleaners. I us Zep bottles and sprayers for my exterior products (ie. Wheel Brightener and Degreasers). I've had no problem with those.

Sharply Dressed
05-13-2018, 07:03 AM
I use Meguiar bottles and also reuse Griot's bottles when I can. I've never had issues with products in Meg bottles but I have noticed issues when they've fallen over or been dropped. Trigger pulls normally but the product doesn't spray (probably user error).

crovello
05-13-2018, 07:32 AM
I am yet to find a spray bottle that will hold up to wheel brightener. The spray bottle that came with it lasted for what came in the bottle but did not last through the refill. I switched to an empty bottle of another brand of wheel cleaner but this only lasted for a week before that failed. I am now in a Zep bottle and i don't expect it to last but they are so cheap,i will just replace it.
I would love to find a high quality sprayer for wheel cleaner but don't want to drop twenty bucks to have it last a month.

My original plan was to spend the forty bucks for a pump sprayer but others on this forum warned me that it would not last. This forum just saved me another forty bucks! Thanks guys.

Dave

tmdals0213
05-13-2018, 07:59 AM
I am yet to find a spray bottle that will hold up to wheel brightener. The spray bottle that came with it lasted for what came in the bottle but did not last through the refill.

Dave

Your meguiars bottle didn’t last? or the sprayer didn’t last?

WB will last in any megs bottle... the gallon bottle itself is plastic... your sprayer on the other hand probably didn’t last because the metal spring corroded...

crovello
05-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Your meguiars bottle didn’t last? or the sprayer didn’t last?

WB will last in any megs bottle... the gallon bottle itself is plastic... your sprayer on the other hand probably didn’t last because the metal spring corroded...

I bought the package with the spray bottle and the gallon refill. The sprayer failed part way through the first refill. I assumed it would be able to hold up to the harshness of wheel brightener since they sell it full of wheel brightener. Maybe i just received a defective sprayer.

Dave

Goonie75
05-13-2018, 08:28 AM
I've had good luck with the 'acid' or chemical resistant sprayers that are gold in color and not gray. Bare Bones is still working 2 years later...the Zep ones work well for me too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

howardm4
05-13-2018, 09:00 AM
I mix and use only enough for the day's worth of wheel cleaning and then rinse out the bottle/sprayer.

sudsmobile
05-13-2018, 09:45 AM
I am yet to find a spray bottle that will hold up to wheel brightener. The spray bottle that came with it lasted for what came in the bottle but did not last through the refill. I switched to an empty bottle of another brand of wheel cleaner but this only lasted for a week before that failed. I am now in a Zep bottle and i don't expect it to last but they are so cheap,i will just replace it.
I would love to find a high quality sprayer for wheel cleaner but don't want to drop twenty bucks to have it last a month.

My original plan was to spend the forty bucks for a pump sprayer but others on this forum warned me that it would not last. This forum just saved me another forty bucks! Thanks guys.

Dave

Funny you mention it because I put the Megs Wheel Brightener in the same Tolco 36 oz bottle and it's survived in the same bottle since the dawn of time. As for the recommendation that I spray out the trigger. The triggers are fine, I continue to use the original triggers when I put them in new bottles. The tire cleaner and OD I'm using are almost "dissolving" the threads. I'll pick up the bottle and the sprayer will come off and what's left of the threads just crumble out of the sprayer's threads.

sudsmobile
05-13-2018, 09:46 AM
I mix and use only enough for the day's worth of wheel cleaning and then rinse out the bottle/sprayer.

I wish I had that kind of time.

crovello
05-13-2018, 12:45 PM

I will just go with cheap sprayer and discard them when they stop working before I resort to cleaning out the sprayer after every use.

I can't imagine that people that do this for a living have time to do that after every use.

what wheel cleaner are you using and what ratio are you mixing it?

Dave