PDA

View Full Version : I'm failing on the phone call.

Pages : [1] 2

PurpleTowel
05-12-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm looking for some advice from the business pros out there, that might help what seems to be my biggest issue...

I'm completely failing my phone calls.

My business is a weekend side business. I do quality work at a decent pace, but I'm not the cheapest option around. I will turn down barf in the back seat of minivan because that's not the kind of work I want to do. I do have simple 4-hour interior/exterior packages all the way up to show car corrections and finishes. That's what my target is, and that's the work that I prefer doing. I've had good business so far this spring, but I'm finding that I'm having some trouble closing the deal lately. I probably book 2 out of 10 phone calls I receive.

I'm struggling at the first point of contact—the phone call. I pick up every call I get, to be greeted with some form of, "how much for a detail?" I'm already irritated because I know they spent no time looking at my simple website which explains everything and lists out package and a la carte pricing for everything I do.

I can't tell sometimes when people are just price shopping, so that's an issue. I don't want or need those customers. But to me it's like walking into a BMW dealer and asking, "how much for a car?" I know people are lazy, don't have time or whatever, but I have a terribly difficult time answering this question, especially when it's obvious that the person on the other end of the phone has no idea of what a detail entails.

Where do you start when this question is asked?

My biggest problem is that I try to explain what I do, what the process is, how much time things take, and I get too wrapped up in the minutiae. I'm sure the customer's eyes roll back into their head as they tune out, waiting to hear only HOW MUCH, because the last guy told him he could do it all for $100. And then when I tell them that I need to see the car in person to give them a more accurate estimate, I tend to lose them completely.

So, how much for a detail?

Paul A.
05-12-2018, 08:43 AM
My first response is "what is the vehicle? (make, model and mileage)". I then state my range of service prices (lowest to highest) saying "depending on the service level you want done" and go from there.

Sometimes they ask follow up questions and sometimes they are done at that point. I'm probably not interested in the latter and that's ok.

sudsmobile
05-12-2018, 08:44 AM
I'm completely failing my phone calls.

I'm already irritated because I know they spent no time looking at my simple website which explains everything and lists out package and a la carte pricing for everything I do.

This is your issue on the phone. You charge way too much money to treat potential customers with irritation or contempt when they call. Every phone call is a potential customer, not a chance for you to let them know how stupid they are for not being able to navigate your website. Honestly, with those prices, I would say you're doing pretty good closing 2 out of 10 if that's accurate.

PurpleTowel
05-12-2018, 08:54 AM
You charge way too much money to treat potential customers with irritation or contempt when they call. Every phone call is a potential customer, not a chance for you to let them know how stupid they are for not being able to navigate your website. Honestly, with those prices, I would say you're doing pretty good closing 2 out of 10 if that's accurate.

I don't treat anyone with contempt or irritation, regardless of my immediate reaction. That's a terrible assumption on your part. I don't talk down to anyone, or treat them like they are stupid. I didn't ask for your condescension, either. I treat all of my customers very well, thank you.

My prices are calculated by time x a fair hourly rate, just like yours. I wouldn't cover my expenses or time at your rates. In my area, it's a reasonable number, just as I'm sure yours are. I don't give my work away for free.

Thanks for the advice.

sudsmobile
05-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Then you shouldn't have made it a point to include how irritated you were when they called. I'm sure you treat those phone calls exactly as you just treated me. You asked for advice and don't want to hear it. Got it. Out. Couldn't care less.

Oh, and I cover my expenses and time just fine, but then again, I don't think my time is worth $100/hour. Maybe it is, but it's not what the market will bear.

custmsprty
05-12-2018, 09:33 AM
I don't treat anyone with contempt or irritation, regardless of my immediate reaction. That's a terrible assumption on your part. I don't talk down to anyone, or treat them like they are stupid. I didn't ask for your condescension, either. I treat all of my customers very well, thank you.

My prices are calculated by time x a fair hourly rate, just like yours. I wouldn't cover my expenses or time at your rates. In my area, it's a reasonable number, just as I'm sure yours are. I don't give my work away for free.

Thanks for the advice.

I talk to customers on the phone all day, Monday thru Friday. I have been a 100% commisioned sales person since 1991. Believe me when I tell you this, if you are irritated they pick up on it too. It's like body language but it's phone language. I just started with a new company March 1st. They handed me a $1.5 million territory. A lot of the customers I have not met face to face, when I call them or they call me I always have a smile on my face. It comes across on the phone.

So my advice is work on your phone skills and phone etiquette and keep in mind you only have one chance to make a first impression. Make yourself a script on a 3 x 5 card with your bullet points and practice it until it becomes second nature.

UncleDavy
05-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Don't get discouraged by customers who are looking for bargains. Not everybody is an educated consumer who performs all of the research and then asks all of the right questions. You will always have potential customers who will try to find a cheaper solution. It all depends on your business model and what type of business that you are trying to go after. If you are just getting started and desperate for business you may want to try to offer an economy service. Starting with a lower type of service gives you the opportunity to upsell. If you have an established business then you can turn away the lower end customers. Your website is very comprehensive and it presents your services in a very impressive manner. It seems to cater toward the higher end clientele.
Whatever the case may be, you are not only the owner of the business but you are also the vice president of sales. You always have to treat the customer with respect, you always have to have a pleasant tone and you always have to smile. Bad publicity or multiple negative reviews can destroy a reputation.

bryanviper
05-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Actually your prices dont seem to bad at least what I have seen here in Toronto.

My suggestion as other have said, is to be happy on the phone. Yes the customers might annoy you because they dont look at your website but maybe they dont know your website or have not had time to look at it.
Another suggestion would be to have them come down to your shop/place so you could see the car and even show them another car you have done (ie your own) show them proof, show them trouble areas on their car etc.

good luck!

PurpleTowel
05-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys. Part of my problem is that I field 90% of my calls during may day job work hours. Usually at the worst times, so I'm not focused in on detailing. I have a crib sheet of prices and options close by, but it's not always easily accessed. I work with clients every day with my 9-5 and have enough experience to know how to deal with and treat people. For some reason, a few people are focusing on my comment that I said I was aggravated that people weren't finding simple answers to their questions on my website. I can assure you, this isn't the issue.

The speedbump for me is that I don't know where to start the conversation when someone asks, "how much for a detail" because there are so many variables, and most people don't know what constitutes a detail. Most of the people that contact me with that question are price shopping, and want to know how much a "wash and wax" costs. Because it's not a one-size-fits-all service, it's tough to know where to begin the answer. That's all.

When someone asks you, "how much for a detail," what is your answer?

UncleDavy
05-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys. Part of my problem is that I field 90% of my calls during may day job work hours. Usually at the worst times, so I'm not focused in on detailing. I have a crib sheet of prices and options close by, but it's not always easily accessed. I work with clients every day with my 9-5 and have enough experience to know how to deal with and treat people. For some reason, a few people are focusing on my comment that I said I was aggravated that people weren't finding simple answers to their questions on my website. I can assure you, this isn't the issue.

The speedbump for me is that I don't know where to start the conversation when someone asks, "how much for a detail" because there are so many variables, and most people don't know what constitutes a detail. Most of the people that contact me with that question are price shopping, and want to know how much a "wash and wax" costs. Because it's not a one-size-fits-all service, it's tough to know where to begin the answer. That's all.

You can start by explaining your basic level 0 detail and all of the features that it includes. If someone is looking for a "wash and wax", then introduce them to your level 1 detail. Always try to upsell. If they do not like the pricing, perhaps you can refer them to some hacks in the area and you can explain why you stand out from your competitors.

DaveT435
05-12-2018, 11:55 AM
As custmsprty mentioned, force yourself to smile. Fake it til you make it. You know you're probably going to find the person on the other end stupid and lazy, deal with it. Try laughing inside at how dumb some of the questions they ask are. It will put you in a better mood. Ask them if they are shopping around, this will give you valuable information. Try to take the conversation away from price, talk about value for their money. Invite them to look at before and after pictures on your website. Invite them in. "If you want to bring it by I'll take a look at it and see what I can do for you". Try to get their name and call them by their name during the call, it makes it a more personal experience for them.
That's a few things off the top of my head, as I think of more I'll let you know. I worked in retail my entire life and was extremely successful. You're obviously picking up on the customers body language through the tone of their voice. You need to learn when to go from selling to saving a sale. You hear when you're losing them...ask what kind of price they are getting then ask if they know exactly what they are getting for that price. Tell them you want to make sure they get the best value for their money. Now you have their attention. Go ahead and explain your process, invite them again to look at your website, or come by and you can go into more detail on exactly what you do and why it's the best value. People aren't always looking for price. Usually they want value for their money. You're selling yourself on the phone as much as your services.

custmsprty
05-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Your post paragraph number two, that's exactly what you need to figure out.

We are the 1% centers. The other 99% of the population just wants a clean car. If I was in your shoes my goal would be to get the client first, give them what they want and are willing to pay for. Their idea of a detail is most likley not the same as yours or mine. Then as you build some rapport and trust with them if they come back you can slowly educate them on the other services you offer.

I would be remiss if I didn't point this out, you came here for advice and advice is what you got. Yet you jumped on a few of us righht away. Seems to me you may need to work on that LOL.

Anyway, I'm outta here, good luck in the future.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-12-2018, 02:18 PM
custmsprty hit the nail on the head.

We are the 1% centers. The other 99% of the population just wants a clean car. If I was in your shoes my goal would be to get the client first, give them what they want and are willing to pay for.

Two things are happening - You state:
do have simple 4-hour interior/exterior packages all the way up to show car corrections and finishes. That's what my target is, and that's the work that I prefer doing.

This forum spans the world, from Dubai to Thailand, from Maine to Washington State and everywhere in between. It's made up of folks with many different business models, some do it all, some only do specialties. Only you know your business model, what you'll accept and how much you'll charge. Disclaimer: The outline below will not work for everyone.

1.) Define your business: Once you define what it is you want to do, and the clients you want to take, the phone calls will get easier.

2.) Don't take calls at your day job. If the day job pays the mortgage, taxes and puts food on the table, that should be your focus! Let the calls go to VM, If you were a full time detailer you'd be busy on cars and not be answering calls all day. Set a side a time to call people back later in the evening. This will defuse the quick, "how much for a detail." If you do answer the phone (thinking it's the day job) and it's a detail call, just politely ask if you can call back when you have more time to talk.

3.) Once you've defined the business, have a base for new clients (assuming they will need some kind of correction) and only offer maintenance (wash & wax /maintenance services) to existing clients. Again this is part of your business plan/model.

4.) If your goal as stated above is, to do high-line work, then do it. Get out of the low-end business. This is where the art of turning down business comes into play, versus getting frustrated on the phone: The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/108393-learned-skill-turning-detailing-work-down-mike-phillips.html)

How does #4 work? Simple: The person asks "how much for a detail" (you stop, wait 2 seconds and breath), then you reply by asking for info on the car, Let them do the talking (you shut up). Up until this point, you don't know if it's a guy looking to have is 10 year old mini-van with 150K miles, 3 kids, 6 cats and two dogs detailed and just wants the interior. Likewise you don't know if this is someone with an Enzo looking to enter it into a concourse event.

5.) Then when they're done, you state "we can take care of all of that... "We specialize in "_refer to_#1 define your business_________" and our entry level package for new clients generally starts at $$$.$$, however, we need to evaluate the vehicle to give you an accurate quote. I was going to be in your area this evening giving another quote, I can meet you between 6-6:30 pm to give you a quote. May I please confirm your address a good contact number for you? If they say "Ok" ball is in your court. You look at the car and after the VIF determine the quote and give it to said client. If they refuse, or say that's too much money, try to conserve the sale without concessions. Go back to "this is what we specialize in." If they still refuse, say thank you. It's optional if you want to refer to a "buddy."

6.) On the flip side, if they state they don't want to spend that much or they describe the vehicle and the job they want, and it doesn't align with #1 above, then follow #4 and refer to a buddy.

Define what you want to do, the calls will be easy. Once the person on the other end starts talking about the disgust and filth in their 1997 Dodge Mini-Van, politely state, that's not what our business focuses on, but I have a buddy who does! You need a buddy! Not every phone call is going to be Jay Leno or Wayne Carini looking to have a show car detailed for a tv show or concourse event. It's up to you to weigh against what the person on the phone wants versus what you are willing to do and then have the appropriate polite response.

----------------------
We had the same issues at first. This flow-chart / work-flow for a phone conversations really helped. The key is always leave the person feeling good regardless if you accept the job or not, or send them to a buddy. You need them to feel that your customer service skills were above reproach.

:)

Whitewater25
05-12-2018, 04:56 PM
I would ask what the vehicle is and the year and Perhaps ask them what they are looking for. Then suggest your packages that might suit their needs and budget.

Bill1234
05-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I would make it noted that a vehicle needs to come in or be examined to determine their needs and price and you cannot and should never price something just by thought and not an actual job site in construction or in this case, detailing. People do not think this way and its odd, so odd.