PDA

View Full Version : NanoSkin Autoscrub Medium Clay Mitt

STI4Life06
05-11-2018, 03:24 PM
I bought one of these after being skeptical for a long time. After years of using clay bar It’s officially my least favorite part of the detailing process so I finally bit the bullet and picked up the NanoSkin Wash Mitt in hopes to speed up the clay bar process.

I know a lot of people say it’s best to use a clay lube because car wash soap will degrade the clay mitt over time but I pretty much always use my clay bars with a foam cannon to speed things up a bit and I have never had an issue with my clay bars breaking down. The only clay bar I ever had an issue with is Pinnacle’s clay bar, and I had issues with degrading even when using a QD.

After washing my friends 2012 Legacy GT I noticed a TON of bonded contaminants. It felt like 120 grit sandpaper, it’s pretty bad, pretty sure the car hadn’t been clayed in several years if ever.

First i applied Iron x to hopefully make claying a bit easier. I then threw down some foam cannon suds with CG HoneyDew snow soap which I find has a ton of lubricity for claying. Dunked my clay mitt into my soapy bucket and started with the glass to break in the mitt. Already I could tell it was taking out a ton of contaminates as each pass sounded smoother and smoother. Also noticed the mitt sucks in a ton of suds which is very nice.

After glass I moved onto the paint, this thing absolutely rocked. The only thing that’s annoying is the gray clay material hides the contamination and you can’t see how dirty the mitt is. I made sure to clean off the mitt every half panel to issue minimal marring. However this car needs a 2 or 3 step paint correction anyways so I wasn’t too worried about marring.

Excuse the commentary lol.

https://youtu.be/wnLR3s3sCG4

As you can see in the video that I posted, this mitt definitely picks up a good amount of contaminates in a fraction of the tome a traditional clay bar would. I clayed this car twice and still only took me about an hour. Typical it takes me about 1.5-2 hours to clay a car with minor contamination.

After completion I grabbed my scan-grip to see if I could find any marring. I honestly couldn’t see any evidence of marring other than some marring that was done before I touched the car which I was blown away by. I thought for sure it was going to look bad...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/93779aa98cef5e68b8fca29a04e80761.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/821b82e24e2d475e5dd7e278f4bea95f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Wax
05-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Yeah, it's solid. I've done probably over 100 cars with it, and it's still holding up. Just be careful on hot panels.

STI4Life06
05-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it's solid. I've done probably over 100 cars with it, and it's still holding up. Just be careful on hot panels.

Yeah I can see where that could be an issue. 95% of my details are out of the sun so I’ll keep that in mind if I ever have to clay bar in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk