PDA

View Full Version : Streaking Spray Wax

Frank70
05-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Though I been a member for a little over 2 years and usually do not post very much. Bad experience on another web site. Guess young folks do not take to kindly to older gentlemen. I come here to gain knowledge and spend my retirement income (trying not to spend to much).

My car has Xpel Ultimate PPF on the hood and front bumper.

Yesterday I was applying Optimum Spray Wax and it streaked terrible.``

Any idea what may have been the problem? This was just after the car was washed and dried.

Should I have clayed the hood first?

If so is it safe to clay PPF?

I have the Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 that I could use if the hood needs claying. Just don't want to mar the film.

rlmccarty2000
05-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Could have been residual product on the PPF or too much spray wax. Sometimes less is more. What was your wash soap? Try the spray on the non PPF surfaces and see if it streaks. Spray onto a clean towel, apply, and wipe off with another clean towel.

joleyred
05-09-2018, 08:33 PM
We're you in the direct sun or in the shade? I've had good luck with Optimum spray wax, but always used it in the shade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FUNX650
05-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Over the years...
In order to avoid issues such as streaking
and marring; and, to preserve not only the
PPF’s integrity, but also their warranty; I’ve
always adhered to the following positions:

1.) I don’t clay PPF.
2.) I use XPel’s, or PF1’s, PPF
cleaning and sealing products.

Bob

Edit:
Almost forgot about Mothers
R3 Racing Rubber Remover.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Though I been a member for a little over 2 years and usually do not post very much. Bad experience on another web site. Guess young folks do not take to kindly to older gentlemen.

Aren't we all (mostly) older gentlemen here? Or feel that way?

Yesterday I was applying Optimum Spray Wax and it streaked terrible.

I haven't used OCW in a bit (I should probably rectify that), but make sure you shake it, and it is a product that you have to work in a bit to get it to disappear...as others have mentioned, sometimes less is more.

fightnews
05-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Maybe a stronger cleaner on the ppf. Usually streaking is a result of dirt I think but not sure

howardm4
05-10-2018, 08:34 AM
yes, use less. I use OCW and that happens when I go too heavily (esp if the towel/buff is getting saturated). I usually
buff afterwards anyway.

Mantilgh
05-10-2018, 08:39 AM
I use mostly when the surface is still wet while I dry and just use one spray per panel like a hood or one spray for two doors.

I think it’s really easy to want to over apply this product and using it on a wet surface helps me not use as much.

If I do get streaks, I just lightly wet the surface with water and re-dry and that usually fixes it.

Not sure on PPF though.

Frank70
05-10-2018, 08:54 AM
We're you in the direct sun or in the shade? I've had good luck with Optimum spray wax, but always used it in the shade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was using in the shade.

Frank70
05-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Everyone - thanks for your comments. I may have been using too much product. I will try again with less product. Just tried on non PPF and did not streak.

Route246
05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
[LEFT]Though I been a member for a little over 2 years and usually do not post very much. Bad experience on another web site. Guess young folks do not take to kindly to older gentlemen. I come here to gain knowledge and spend my retirement income (trying not to spend to much).

My car has Xpel Ultimate PPF on the hood and front bumper.

I'm an old guy and occasionally get trolled. I take the high road, back off after standing my ground and let the troll expose himself for what he is. Walking away from a troll is the worst possible outcome for the troll.

Everyone - thanks for your comments. I may have been using too much product. I will try again with less product. Just tried on non PPF and did not streak.

Try a quick detailer to remove the streaks. If that works then it is might be your technique or environmental (i.e. too hot or too cold). If the QD doesn't work then it might be defective or inappropriate product. I had streaking on a black spoiler, cleaned it up with QD and refined my technique. The surface was too hot. This doesn't sound like your issue but the QD can provide info in cases like this.

ducksfan
05-10-2018, 12:39 PM
I've had problems with Optimum products streaking when they are layered over other companies products. If you didn't start with a clean slate, you may consider that. Try washing the vehicle 3-4 times (over a month or more) with ONR or optimum car wash. Don't use any other products than Optimum. Then apply the product sparingly.

Mad Wax
05-10-2018, 11:46 PM
I find Optimums Car Wax works best when it's not used straight. A light spritz of ONR on the panel first helps the wax spread and when wiped up with a quality waffle weave, it's streak free. This method is almost a necessity when using in direct sunlight.