PDA

View Full Version : Using some cheaper "household" products to cut some cost (not on the car!)

BillaVista
05-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Newbie weekend warrior here.

You experienced guys may recall the sticker shock at first getting into this hobby/pastime/obsession...

I'm wondering if anyone can report success with using any cheaper household products for things like washing out pads and laundering microfibers?

I remember when I used to dive a lot we would wash our wetsuits in baby shampoo because it was thought to have very few additives and leave nothing behind.

Today I also picked up some Woolite Dark, Some Walmart citrus-based APC, and a new type of Tide called Tide Purclean™ Liquid Laundry Detergentthat is said to be plant based and is designed free of dyes, chlorine, phosphates or optical brighteners

Any reports of success or failures?

(I hope this isn't breaking the forum rules as it seems permissible to talk about IPA, Vinegar, and distilled water)

UncleDavy
05-09-2018, 07:41 PM
I have used some household products with success for certain tasks when I happen to run out of my Autogeek products. Tide works well on my microfiber towels and I use diluted Simple Green as an APC. The Walmart APC will probably work but I would check the label or MSDS. You may have to dilute it to make it safe for vinyl or plastic.

custmsprty
05-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Newbie weekend warrior here.

You experienced guys may recall the sticker shock at first getting into this hobby/pastime/obsession...

I'm wondering if anyone can report success with using any cheaper household products for things like washing out pads and laundering microfibers?

I remember when I used to dive a lot we would wash our wetsuits in baby shampoo because it was thought to have very few additives and leave nothing behind.

Today I also picked up some Woolite Dark, Some Walmart citrus-based APC, and a new type of Tide called Tide Purclean™ Liquid Laundry Detergent

that is said to be plant based and is designed free of dyes, chlorine, phosphates or optical brighteners

Any reports of success or failures?

(I hope this isn't breaking the forum rules as it seems permissible to talk about IPA, Vinegar, and distilled water)

Self explanatory:

Meghans' posted link: Forum Rules (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/100103-forum-rules.html)

The purpose of Autogeekonline.com is for detailing discussion, providing a place for like minded auto "Geeks" to share knowledge and partake in fellowship.

1. The AutogeekOnline discussion forum is exclusively sponsored by Autogeek.com. Product discussion should be limited to products that are available from Autogeek.com and PBMA's family of websites.

PaulMys
05-09-2018, 07:51 PM
These days, with all of the engineering and research put into the rapidly growing line of detailing products, I'd be very wary of trusting any of my valuable MF towels or pads to cheap products not intended to clean them.

Mantilgh
05-09-2018, 08:02 PM
That Tide product is $8-10 for 50oz, 3D Towel Clean is $18 for 128oz.

That and 3D Orange 88 Degreaser is $17 for a gallon and is a lot better than most other APCs.

Calendyr
05-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Things I would not cheap out on:

Compounds, polishes, Cleaner Waxes, Sealants, Coatings.

Things I think you can save on as long as what you find works well: Soaps and cleaners.

Let me give you some examples:
Tar-X is something like 20$ for 12 ounces. Orange degreasers from most big companies will do just as good a job for 9$ per gallon.
APCs range from 15$ to 40$ per gallon, plus shipping. I have seen a few videos with things like Tide liquid detergent getting diluted at the same ratios and doing just as good a job cleaning plastics, fabrics and carpets. Plus it smelled nicer and the cost lower by about half. It's very likelly less toxic too.

Products like clean slate or other degreaser to remove road film and or LSP sell for premium prices. Dawn can do pretty much the same thing for a lot less, especially if you buy gallon size of it.

Plenty of examples, but overall, it is possible to use consummer products designed for home use in cars without any issues. Fabric is fabric, carpet is carpet, plastic is plastic. Where you can't really find replacement products is for specialty use like fallout removal, claying, paint correction, paint protection. On those, you should get the best product you can that will work the best and give you the best results and or protection.

dlc95
05-10-2018, 12:45 AM
For me it's the other way around.

I end up using detailing products to clean around the house.

Eldorado2k
05-10-2018, 01:33 AM
For me it's the other way around.

I end up using detailing products to clean around the house.

Lol. Ikr. I remember the 1st time I mixed up a gallon of Megs D101 APC for my mom not knowing what to expect since she’s a lifelong housekeeper [so if anyone knows a thing or 2 about cleaning products it’s her] she came back after the 1st day of using it nearly blown away at how good it was. Lol. She was like “it cleans everything good, even glass”!
I said nah I’ve got something way better for glass... She was impressed with D120 but the scent is too overpowering for her. She hates it to this day. She hates Megs Quik Interior Detailer as well because it smells like vinegar. She can bearly tolerate Hyper Dressing, and loves the way D180 smells. I’ve never met a person who doesn’t love the way D180 smells.[emoji4][emoji1359]