PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a good paint prep or AIO before sealant

Pages : [1] 2

eaksqueak
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
My friend and I will be detailing his dad’s 7 year old Toyota Camry soon. It has dark gray metallic paint and has not seen a wax since we applied Nu Finish to it three years ago. I have a tin of Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax that I would like to use, as we want something long lasting on the car.

We will do some minimal claying or work with a bug sponge to remove the really obvious stuck on goobers, but we only have one afternoon to finish the job so can’t really clay the whole thing. Can anyone recommend a good product for prepping the paint that we can apply by hand, and is compatible with the Finish Kare?

I have Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on hand, but I wonder if I should spring for a mild abrasive in this case, given that the car is dark gray and rather unforgiving about showing swirls. Or maybe a glaze that can fill in the scratches? Please advise. Thanks!

ACCLAY
05-09-2018, 02:16 PM
My friend and I will be detailing his dad’s 7 year old Toyota Camry soon. It has dark gray metallic paint and has not seen a wax since we applied Nu Finish to it three years ago. I have a tin of Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax that I would like to use, as we want something long lasting on the car.

We will do some minimal claying or work with a bug sponge to remove the really obvious stuck on goobers, but we only have one afternoon to finish the job so can’t really clay the whole thing. Can anyone recommend a good product for prepping the paint that we can apply by hand, and is compatible with the Finish Kare?

I have Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on hand, but I wonder if I should spring for a mild abrasive in this case, given that the car is dark gray and rather unforgiving about showing swirls. Or maybe a glaze that can fill in the scratches? Please advise. Thanks!

I use CarPro Eraser. It’s a good IPA and it smells decent as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acuRAS82
05-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Working by hand, I don’t think you’ll get many swirls out, and you only have an afternoon. I would go for Glaze or pre-wax cleaner like you already have. I would think what you have on hand will fill in some swirls as well as anything else by hand.

BJackson8
05-09-2018, 03:11 PM
If you working by hand, I would use Duragloss 501.

Good cleaning ability, and easy to use.

The Guz
05-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Why can't you clay the entire thing? A camry is not that large. Clay alternatives make the job quicker as well. Between two people you can knock this out in a few minutes.

eaksqueak
05-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Why can't you clay the entire thing? A camry is not that large. Clay alternatives make the job quicker as well. Between two people you can knock this out in a few minutes.

What sort of clay alternatives do you recommend? I have minimal experience with claying, but I’m working on a Subaru Outback right now and it’s taking me about an hour to do one panel. If I tried to go faster I’d be afraid of creating scratches from the gunk the clay picks up.

ACCLAY
05-09-2018, 04:04 PM
What sort of clay alternatives do you recommend? I have minimal experience with claying, but I’m working on a Subaru Outback right now and it’s taking me about an hour to do one panel. If I tried to go faster I’d be afraid of creating scratches from the gunk the clay picks up.

Clay Mitts, pads. You can even clay while washing the car, providing that the car shampoo has enough lubricity in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaxMaster1
05-09-2018, 04:06 PM

HUH!!!??? Get this pack, Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack (https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html) Two minutes per panel......MAX!

eaksqueak
05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
HUH!!!??? Get this pack, Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack (https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html) Two minutes per panel......MAX!

Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.

I’m working with cars that haven’t been cleaned in years. I’m constantly cleaning and picking little bits of stuff from the clay. It’s very time consuming.

DMW
05-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Get a clay mitt. It's a HUGE time saver over the little pieces of clay. My claying process went from 45-60 minutes down to 15-20 minutes.

chet31
05-09-2018, 07:37 PM
If you want longevity for your sealant, don't use a glaze. It is a temporary fix and interferes with the sealants ability to adhere to the clear coat.

The Guz
05-09-2018, 08:38 PM

If you need something local head to your local auto parts store and pick up the mothers speed clay pad or the Griots Garage clay pad.

TMQ
05-09-2018, 11:15 PM
"An hour to clay one panel"...???

It takes me 20 - 30 minutes to do a whole car. And that's not rushing either!

Lots of lube, as soon as it feel smooth or quiet, move on to next section.

No need to press down hard or rub...just glide the clay pad back and forth gently.

Tom

eaksqueak
05-09-2018, 11:38 PM
"An hour to clay one panel"...???

It takes me 20 - 30 minutes to do a whole car. And that's not rushing either!

Lots of lube, as soon as it feel smooth or quiet, move on to next section.

No need to press down hard or rub...just glide the clay pad back and forth gently.

Tom

My own car is white and does not come clean that quickly with the clay. I can still see lots of specks of dirt even once the clay is gliding smoothly. It takes about an hour per panel to get it completely clean. Because my friend’s car is dark gray, I won’t be able to see the dirt as easily and I am more concerned about scratches, especially new scratches that I might inadvertently add.

SWETM
05-10-2018, 02:33 AM
My own car is white and does not come clean that quickly with the clay. I can still see lots of specks of dirt even once the clay is gliding smoothly. It takes about an hour per panel to get it completely clean. Because my friend’s car is dark gray, I won’t be able to see the dirt as easily and I am more concerned about scratches, especially new scratches that I might inadvertently add.

When the clay is gliding smoothly and you still see imbedded road grime. Then it's time to take out the polish and polisher. If it's a fine finish you can get it off with a paint cleaner that desolves the last dirt. When claying an hour you are abrading the paint as you would with a polish or cleaner wax/AIO. So even if you where working the polish or AIO by hand you would get it cleaned up faster. And by working the clay at that long of a time you would scratch the finish pretty good I think.