PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals on brake rotors

Delsil
05-08-2018, 07:02 AM
I have a small mobile detailing business and have been detailing since 1992. I have used many different wheel cleaners from mild soaps to acid cleaners and occasionally IronX. From time to time when I have to use IronX to remove built on rust and brake dust deposits, I try not to get any overspray directly onto the rotors because when they are rinsed off a small coating of rust will appear. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this after cleaning? It just doesn't look good. I added 2 before and after pics I recently cleaned below for clarification

howardm4
05-08-2018, 07:06 AM
My first foggy thoughts are:

1. after rinsing, hit the rotors w/ air from a compressor to get rid of the water before it starts causing oxidation.
2. variation of #1, lightly spray the rotors w/ Iso. alcohol which absorbs water then maybe the compressed air.

That was one filthy Benz ;) Nicely done!

FUNX650
05-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Bob

Delsil
05-08-2018, 07:44 AM
My first foggy thoughts are:

1. after rinsing, hit the rotors w/ air from a compressor to get rid of the water before it starts causing oxidation.
2. variation of #1, lightly spray the rotors w/ Iso. alcohol which absorbs water then maybe the compressed air.

That was one filthy Benz ;) Nicely done!

Thanks I will give this a try

JKDesign
05-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Bob

I second this- what you are describing is exactly what this product is designed for

JCDetails
05-08-2018, 08:06 AM
This is usually remedied by rolling the car back and forth with the brakes lightly applied to dry the rotors with the pads before they dry off from the rinsing phase.

This will normally rub the rust off without spraying it back out all over the wheel you just cleaned.

Desertnate
05-08-2018, 10:14 AM
This is usually remedied by rolling the car back and forth with the brakes lightly applied to dry the rotors with the pads before they dry off from the rinsing phase.

This will normally rub the rust off without spraying it back out all over the wheel you just cleaned.

I was thinking the same thing. In all seriousness, is the concern about the rotor appearance based on creating a better appearance for delivery of the car back to the customer? I know the rotors on my GTI rust horribly compared to our other vehicles whenever they get wet, but a couple quick applications of the brakes and they are shiny once again. I always considered it the nature of disc brakes and not a big deal.

Delsil
05-08-2018, 10:15 AM

I have done that as well but some customers just do not want me to turn on the car.

Delsil
05-08-2018, 10:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing. In all seriousness, is the concern about the rotor appearance based on creating a better appearance for delivery of the car back to the customer? I know the rotors on my GTI rust horribly compared to our other vehicles whenever they get wet, but a couple quick applications of the brakes and they are shiny once again. I always considered it the nature of disc brakes and not a big deal.

Yes it is just an appearance thing. I did a 2018 Porsche 911 a couple weeks back and the customer asked why they look rusty. I mentioned to him the reason and told him to just drive it forward or backward with light pressure on the brakes. That did the trick