PDA

View Full Version : Advancement in Current Market Polishes

M0nk3y
05-07-2018, 12:30 PM
This may be stupid - but I've been out of touch the past couple years.

I need to do some correction on my Scion FRS - It's taken some abuse over the past year or so with Track and AutoX and the Gtechniq Coating seems to have worn off - at least to the point where I'd like to polish off the rest and apply a sealant on.

Currently my arsenal consists of standard - non-XP Porter Cable and a Makita 9227c

Pads are - Lake County Purple Wool/Orange/White/Black/Blue/Gold and the Cyan and Tangerine Hydrotech Pads.

My polishes are Menzerna PG, SIP, 106FF, PO85RD and Meguiars M105/205.

The correction I need to do on the FRS is pretty minor - light cutting and mostly finishing - but I'm really annoyed at the levels of dust my polishes produce. If I try to combat the dusting I'll get one flash passes on they really seem difficult to work with lately. I don't know if they have shelf life attached to them - but figure these polishes are easily 7-8 years old by now (all in 32 oz bottles).

I've seen some new polishing products hit the market, and I'm curious if it is finally time to say goodbye to my old lineup. IIRC Scion paint isn't terribly hard - and really only carried the polishes that I have due to my BMWs which are now sold and gone.

I've seen products like CarPro, CG, as well as others catch my attention. Should I be paying attention to anything else? Low dusting w/no fillers is preferred, but I realize you can't get everything in life.

Finally - any use for Microfiber pads to help with finishing or cutting? It almost looks like market trend is shying away from rotaries and heavy vested into DA technology. Most of the reason why I don't use my PC anymore is due to the amount of time required to work a polish in prior.

Thanks in advance,

JCDetails
05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
MF certainly for cutting, there's almost not really a need for heavy cutting foam pads anymore with how well MF pads cut and finish with the right products. Megs discs, LC MF cutting/finishing, and B&S uro-fibers come to mind. Griot's MF also.

Jescar Compound is a serious contender, big cut and excellent finish and reacts very well to being de-tuned with softer pads. I'm also a big fan of Jescar ultra finishing polish and Menz 3800. Limited experience with Jescar medium cut yielded dusting but I haven't thoroughly tested yet.

Carpro essence and clearcut, Sonax Perfect Finish and EX 04-06 are great choices as well. 105 dusts a lot but 205 is still top-notch. D300 and D166 are great options also.

BryanH
05-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Hey.

I haven't used a ton of polishes but the least dust I've encountered personally is with Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish.

Justin M.
05-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Sonax Perfect Finish and Rupes yellow pads is all you'll ever need [emoji16] This has been my all around go to for a long time now. Certainly there are a million options out there, but this one still works great. I can tell you more offline if you want.

M0nk3y
05-07-2018, 03:06 PM
MF certainly for cutting, there's almost not really a need for heavy cutting foam pads anymore with how well MF pads cut and finish with the right products. Megs discs, LC MF cutting/finishing, and B&S uro-fibers come to mind. Griot's MF also.

Jescar Compound is a serious contender, big cut and excellent finish and reacts very well to being de-tuned with softer pads. I'm also a big fan of Jescar ultra finishing polish and Menz 3800. Limited experience with Jescar medium cut yielded dusting but I haven't thoroughly tested yet.

Carpro essence and clearcut, Sonax Perfect Finish and EX 04-06 are great choices as well. 105 dusts a lot but 205 is still top-notch. D300 and D166 are great options also.

Fair enough to say you could hit a car with Jescar Compound on say a LC MF Polishing Pad then follow up with Jescar Ultra on say a Blue/Black/Red foam pad w/no cut?

JCDetails
05-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Fair enough to say you could hit a car with Jescar Compound on say a LC MF Polishing Pad then follow up with Jescar Ultra on say a Black or Blue foam pad w/no cut?

Bit of a loaded question given the number of variables at play. However, based upon personal experience that would be a solid combo, though you may want slightly more than a black or blue pad to finish with as a little cut in the pad will only help remove haze from the compounding stage.

M0nk3y
05-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Bit of a loaded question given the number of variables at play. However, based upon personal experience that would be a solid combo, though you may want slightly more than a black or blue pad to finish with as a little cut in the pad will only help remove haze from the compounding stage.

I may grab a couple cutting MF pads just in that case those are deemed necessary on specific parts.

Makes sense on the polishing pads - Green/White LCC seems more appropriate. I'll save the Black/Blue if I want to go PO85RD