PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning carbon build up on exhaust without slowly scratching off with polish.

mcorliss3456
05-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Hi Mike,

Quick question: Have tons of metal polishes (Blue Magic, Wenol, Sonax, etc.) but none seem ideal for cleaning the carbon build up off my chrome Tailpipes. They are rather inefficient from my experience. Was recently in a local auto parts store, and noticed a GDI Brand Intake Valve and Turbo cleaning solvent designed for removing built up carbon on valves. Started thinking, why would that not work as a way to just desolve the carbon build up on tailpipes too? My only concern is it being potentially too strong for the chrome. What are your thoughts on the concept? Genius or madness?

Thanks, Michael

minirips2
05-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Using a product in a manner it was not designed for is always a risky endeavor. I'm not saying it won't perform, but you are certainly in uncharted waters. My biggest concern would be using that product anywhere near a painted surface. Then there is also toxicity to think about. There are many products designed to do what you want in a safe manner. Flitz polish has been around for many years, and works very well. Mothers works well, too. Detailing steel wool (0000 Super Fine) can help cut through grime on exhausts before applying polish.
Welcome to the AutoGeekOnline Forum. Lots of great advice here.