PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

DaveT435
05-06-2018, 10:35 AM
I’m sorry I don’t have any pictures. I’m dealing with a respray...I believe. Whatever it is it’s Rick hard. I hit it with wool and my rotary and I end up with a glazed pad, hit the same spot with a foam cutting pad and I end up with a glazed pad, hit the same spot with a perfecting pad and polish and I end up with a glazed pad. After all that I have about 75-80% correction. It’s almost like the car was badly swirled and scratched so they sprayed a couple coats of clear over it thinking it would fill them in. This is a 2010 Black Lexus. Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Sizzle Chest
05-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Dave, how large of an area is it? Any PTG readings?

DaveT435
05-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Dave, how large of an area is it? Any PTG readings?

It's the whole car. I haven't done the passenger rear door. That and the roof are the only panels that had readings like they were factory paint, although they may have replaced that door skin so it only has one coat of paint. All readings are between 8 and 9 mils. I actually found a couple small chips after I posted this and it chipped down to original paint. The roof compounded/polished fine. Everything else was a nightmare. I ended up wet sanding most of the deeper scratches out with 2-3000 grit then went over the entire car with 5000. This is where I an currently. I've never seen anything like this. I will say whoever painted it did a nice job, usually I pick up on a respray right odd the bat.

Eric@CherryOnTop
05-07-2018, 08:20 PM
What do you mean "glazed pad?" I've never heard that term before...

DaveT435
05-07-2018, 09:50 PM
What do you mean "glazed pad?" I've never heard that term before...

It has a shiny solid coat on the face of the pad. I've only seen it on a couple occasions, and not nearly as heavy as this was, and it might happen to one pad on a certain part of the car. I've definitely never seen anything remotely close to this, and I'vevnever seen it on a wool pad.

JKDesign
05-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Sounds like the finish may be sticky(?) and causing excess heat build up which could be leading to the "glazed" pad. Have you tried working smaller sections using more fluid (i.e compound/polish)- this would effectively keep the heat build up down and provide more lubrication to prevent the pad from glazing- this also means you may have to do less section passes and wipe and inspect more often to watch your progress

JKDesign
05-08-2018, 07:52 AM
^^^^This is something that Kevin Brown teaches a lot when dealing with troublesome correction situations^^^^

986DTM
05-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I know for the past little while Lexus has been using self healing paint that you're not supposed to use anything abrasive on. Its like a soft layer of clear that levels itself when it gets hot. They started doing it in 2010 with the LS IIRC.

JCDetails
05-08-2018, 09:46 AM
^^^ that would make a hell of a lot of sense....

DaveT435
05-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Sounds like the finish may be sticky(?) and causing excess heat build up which could be leading to the "glazed" pad. Have you tried working smaller sections using more fluid (i.e compound/polish)- this would effectively keep the heat build up down and provide more lubrication to prevent the pad from glazing- this also means you may have to do less section passes and wipe and inspect more often to watch your progress
I tried smaller areas, more product, and lower speeds still get it.

DaveT435
05-08-2018, 04:04 PM

I know for the past little while Lexus has been using self healing paint that you're not supposed to use anything abrasive on. Its like a soft layer of clear that levels itself when it gets hot. They started doing it in 2010 with the LS IIRC.

That would make sense. I’ve got some paint experience and don’t think that’s what it is. It’s a 2010 LS 460. I don’t think the paint would be nearly as bad as it was if it had any self healing capabilities. I finished the hood and it polished ok. Here is a pic of the first test spot. The spot that was compounded doesn’t actually look as good as it appears in the picture. And here is the hood all compounded only one small section is actually polished.

DaveT435
05-08-2018, 04:06 PM
And it’s also a repaint which I think would rule out a self healing paint.