PDA

View Full Version : Building managment banned washing cars

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Swift
05-05-2018, 02:15 AM
Recently my building management banned washing car in premises. Their rationale was people wash cars and leave dirty water on the ground and over time it builds up and area looks dirty. Alternative to washing car was suggested and it is wipe-down (wipe dirty car with a wet towel). Wipe down method is the worst way possible to clean a car. Now I am in a pickle as to what to do. I live in a highly polluted city and to make things worse, there is a lot of dust in parking area. For example, if I clean my car on Sunday afternoon, by Monday morning 10 AM there is a visible thin layer of dust on windscreen.

Does rinse less method clean the surface enough to apply wax? What do I do in this situation? How do I adjust my cleaning technique?

Feed back please

Buster906
05-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Go to a friend's house perhaps. Purchase a handheld pressure sprayer. Fill with ONR. Have a bucket filled with ONR and a bunch of quality microfiber towels. Spray your vehicle first, use one towel per panel. Dry with a towel such as drymeariver microfiber towel. Then apply your favorite was or sealant. You could also wash at a car wash with the two bucket method. Hope this helps.
Recently my building management banned washing car in premises. Their rationale was people wash cars and leave dirty water on the ground and over time it builds up and area looks dirty. Alternative to washing car was suggested and it is wipe-down (wipe dirty car with a wet towel). Wipe down method is the worst way possible to clean a car. Now I am in a pickle as to what to do. I live in a highly polluted city and to make things worse, there is a lot of dust in parking area. For example, if I clean my car on Sunday afternoon, by Monday morning 10 AM there is a visible thin layer of dust on windscreen.

Does rinse less method clean the surface enough to apply wax? What do I do in this situation? How do I adjust my cleaning technique?

Feed back please

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Rmd
05-05-2018, 10:18 AM
You are describing a perfect situation for Rinseless Wash. there is no reason you can’t apply wax afterward. Lots of good tutorials on YouTube from competent detailers. Try looking for Gary Dean Wash Method.

Justin at Final Inspection
05-05-2018, 10:35 AM
This is the perfect example for using Ammo Frothe. I have been trying this stuff out for the past month or so and it performs awesome. It's a foaming waterless wash.

fightnews
05-05-2018, 12:01 PM
You should sue them for infringing on your right to wash your car. It's supposed to be a free country and you cant even wash your car. They cash your check every month though. Any discount for taking away your rights?

UncleDavy
05-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Feed back please

I had this argument with my mother a few months ago. She is the president of her condo association and she takes her job very seriously to the point of being the condo Nazi. Her neighbor has a Lexus and he wants to keep the car clean but the condo bylaws prevent car washing of any kind. I suggested a rinseless or a waterless wash and I described the process. My mother interjected and quite strongly repeated, "NO CAR WASHING OF ANY KIND." Check with your condo association or perhaps attend your next condo board meeting and ask them. If they are completely against a waterless or rinseless wash, then I would suggest getting two sealable 5 gallon buckets. Fill them each with 3 gallons of water. Drive to an empty parking lot or a local park. Find a shady spot and rinseless wash away. While you are in the shade go ahead and put a coat of wax on your ride.

rlmccarty2000
05-05-2018, 03:02 PM
The place would look worse with a car lot full of nasty unwashed cars! Bring this up at the HOA meeting. Grab some McKees 914 and a bunch of good rinseless wash towels and find a place where you can do a good wash. A coin op wash place usually has some area to wipe down your car and also good if your car is too dirty to do a waterless wash without a pre-rinse.

Frank70
05-05-2018, 03:18 PM
I once lived in a complex that had a car washing area with a hose hook up. All they asked was that the area was kept clean, no loud music and be respectful of the other residents. Sometimes there was a line to wash your car but not that often.

jaamz
05-05-2018, 04:30 PM
I once lived in a complex that had a car washing area with a hose hook up. All they asked was that the area was kept clean, no loud music and be respectful of the other residents. Sometimes there was a line to wash your car but not that often.

That's exactly what i have at my complex....A car wash bay in the underground garage with a hose that i can connect my foam gun to... i love it.

sudsmobile
05-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Just so everybody is clear, you don't actually have a constitutional right to wash your car. So that argument is what we like to call specious.

Eldorado2k
05-06-2018, 03:53 AM
Wipe down method is the worst way possible to clean a car.

Feed back please

It sounds like you haven’t even tried it, so how can you say that it’s “the worst way possible to clean a car”?

Here’s how you adjust your technique. Get yourself some quality waterless wash product [I’d recommend Wolfgang Uber] and dilute it properly. Then make sure to use it properly, meaning don’t expect to use it like you would a quik detailer..

If you’re going to use it for it’s intended purpose of waterless washing you need to douse the panel [I douse the whole side of the vehicle all at once] and go at it. It’s really not much different than how you would be using a wash mitt during a bucket wash except you want to make sure you’re not wiping back and forth like you can sometimes get away with during a bucket wash. But having 8 sides per towel is a nice perk vs. 2 sides that a wash mitt gives you.

More adjustments: You might as well save yourself the time and trouble and forget about the normL method of spraying that you’ve been used to because you’re going to be spraying at a much higher volume and you’ll be doing it frequently, so at the very least arm yourself with 2 spray bottles w/quality triggers at all times.

If you really want to cut to the chase and treat yourself right, get a quality pressure pump sprayer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/a46b91e8310a0bbe69938ac4d636a5b2.jpg

IMO technique trumps towels by a long shot. You can use $8 towels, but if your technique is horrible and you’re a “spritz” kinda guy you’re going to fail. It’s really alot easier and more convenient than you think.

Give us an update once you’ve adopted the new method. We’re taking the time to give you advice, so providing an update would be a good way to pay us back. Good luck. [emoji256]

fightnews
05-06-2018, 04:30 AM
I had this argument with my mother a few months ago. She is the president of her condo association and she takes her job very seriously to the point of being the condo Nazi. Her neighbor has a Lexus and he wants to keep the car clean but the condo bylaws prevent car washing of any kind. I suggested a rinseless or a waterless wash and I described the process. My mother interjected and quite strongly repeated, "NO CAR WASHING OF ANY KIND." Check with your condo association or perhaps attend your next condo board meeting and ask them. If they are completely against a waterless or rinseless wash, then I would suggest getting two sealable 5 gallon buckets. Fill them each with 3 gallons of water. Drive to an empty parking lot or a local park. Find a shady spot and rinseless wash away. While you are in the shade go ahead and put a coat of wax on your ride.
Only a nazi would care about someone doing a waterless wash. I would do it anyway what are they going to do call the police. I would take it all the way to court. I understand water restriction issues but trying to tell people they cant even buff a turd off their car with a quick detailer is way over the line. I don't care what anyone says they are wrong if they disagree.

Also to the point. Just because somebody says you are not allowed to do something that doesn't automatically mean they are right. Sometimes you have to stand up to these people they are just abusing their authority. Just saying something is a rule doesn't always make it so. People with the tiniest little bit of authority abuse it all the time.

howardm4
05-06-2018, 07:42 AM
I respectfully submit you don’t understand 'small town' (condo Assoc included) politics and personalities.

99% of the time, condo people are bored busybodies who just love to apply their limited 'power' and throw their weight around.

Eldorado2k
05-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Only a nazi would care about someone doing a waterless wash.

I bet she’d change her tune if you surprised her 1 day and waterless washed her vehicle overnight and she noticed how clean it was the next day and you greeted her with a smile explaining the nice thing you did for her.... But if she’s ungrateful and decides to remain a Nazi then screw her, she gets no more Mr. niceguy from me, ever.

SWETM
05-06-2018, 08:08 AM
It sounds like you haven’t even tried it, so how can you say that it’s “the worst way possible to clean a car”?

Here’s how you adjust your technique. Get yourself some quality waterless wash product [I’d recommend Wolfgang Uber] and dilute it properly. Then make sure to use it properly, meaning don’t expect to use it like you would a quik detailer..

If you’re going to use it for it’s intended purpose of waterless washing you need to douse the panel [I douse the whole side of the vehicle all at once] and go at it. It’s really not much different than how you would be using a wash mitt during a bucket wash except you want to make sure you’re not wiping back and forth like you can sometimes get away with during a bucket wash. But having 8 sides per towel is a nice perk vs. 2 sides that a wash mitt gives you.

More adjustments: You might as well save yourself the time and trouble and forget about the normL method of spraying that you’ve been used to because you’re going to be spraying at a much higher volume and you’ll be doing it frequently, so at the very least arm yourself with 2 spray bottles w/quality triggers at all times.

If you really want to cut to the chase and treat yourself right, get a quality pressure pump sprayer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180506/a46b91e8310a0bbe69938ac4d636a5b2.jpg

IMO technique trumps towels by a long shot. You can use $8 towels, but if your technique is horrible and you’re a “spritz” kinda guy you’re going to fail. It’s really alot easier and more convenient than you think.

Give us an update once you’ve adopted the new method. We’re taking the time to give you advice, so providing an update would be a good way to pay us back. Good luck. [emoji256]

About how much of waterless wash solution do you use on say your Cadillac? Do the solution run down on the ground?

Nice to see that you liked the kwazar pressure pump bottle :) Understand that those makes it effective to use when waterless washes.