PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me understand the Klasse paradox?

Pages : [1] 2

rsnider
05-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Everyone knows that Klasse SG applied too heavily is a bear to remove. Hell, even when you apply it so thin you can only see it in the reflection of a LED flashlight, it's still hard to remove. At first, I thought if it's this hard to remove, it must be super durable. But then I got to thinking about how easy it is to remove dried SG with a damp microfiber towel. Just a quick wipe, dry, and it's gone.

So now I'm wondering, if a damp microfiber is able to easily remove something as tough as dried SG, what keeps the damp microfiber from just wiping all the SG from the surface of the paint? I mean, it clearly doesn't remove all the SG from the paint because water will beads on a freshly SGed surface but I'd like to know the how and why a damp microfiber can remove the dried SG without removing all of it. Or maybe it does start to remove all of it and what's left behind is what was "hiding" in the microscopic imperfections in the clear coat? Or maybe there's a much more complex reason involving all sorts of sciency-sounding words like "polymer cross-linking" and "forms a mechanical bond with the clear coat." Idk. Just thinking out loud.

One thing's for certain though; I'm getting sick of the Klasse procedure. I think next time I will try paint coating.

sportsfan
05-04-2018, 05:09 PM
I'm no expert here, but maybe because it is not "cured" 100% yet. I believe you have to let it "cure" for 8 or so hours I think.

RTexasF
05-04-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm no expert here, but maybe because it is not "cured" 100% yet. I believe you have to let it "cure" for 8 or so hours I think.

Clearly you have never used the product described. Klasse SG was never a product I was crazy about, just okay in a painful sort of way. With products like Duragloss I abandoned the Klasse bandwagon. The AIO was okay though.

jonw440
05-04-2018, 05:46 PM
The damp MF is removing the "Carrier" of the SG. The sealant is still on the paint.

rsnider
05-04-2018, 06:25 PM

I don't think that's it because I applied SG last night and left it on the paint overnight and buffed it out this afternoon, so it was curing for WELL over 8 hours. A damp microfiber still wiped away the dry SG like it wasn't even there.

The damp MF is removing the "Carrier" of the SG. The sealant is still on the paint.

Why wouldn't they make it so the carrier evaporates instead of solidifying on the surface?

PaulMys
05-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Clearly you have never used the product described. Klasse SG was never a product I was crazy about, just okay in a painful sort of way. With products like Duragloss I abandoned the Klasse bandwagon. The AIO was okay though.

Agreed. Today, there are way simpler products to use that produce superior results. Kind of a no-brainer to step up to this new technology.

Route246
05-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Agreed. Today, there are way simpler products to use that produce superior results. Kind of a no-brainer to step up to this new technology.

+1

If you are on this forum and have access to all of the modern methods, products, techniques, advice and wisdom here, why would you ever think about using something so antiquated when there are so many products out there that are so easy to use, trouble free, varying temp/humidity tolerant and provide similar or better results?

jonw440
05-04-2018, 10:19 PM
+1

If you are on this forum and have access to all of the modern methods, products, techniques, advice and wisdom here, why would you ever think about using something so antiquated when there are so many products out there that are so easy to use, trouble free, varying temp/humidity tolerant and provide similar or better results?

Lets see if these wiz bang super modern products stand the test of time(30+ years) as Klasse. just sayin..........

sportsfan
05-04-2018, 11:17 PM
I don't think that's it because I applied SG last night and left it on the paint overnight and buffed it out this afternoon, so it was curing for WELL over 8 hours.

hmm...then I'm not sure. You do have a point though.
I always made sure to buff the excess off 30 minutes after application to ensure a nice even coat. Then, I would wait for at least 8 hours to apply a new coat. I always buffed out the excess before letting it "cure" because I thought that it would not come off and would have to bust out my polisher. Lol

fightnews
05-05-2018, 03:42 AM
I dont use it, tried it once, it looked good but to complicated when there are better products out there that are easier to use.

2quikta
05-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Lets see if these wiz bang super modern products stand the test of time(30+ years) as Klasse. just sayin..........

just because something has been out a long time, doesn’t mean it’s the best or works. While I’m sure there are better, when I use blackfire sealant and let it sit overnight it wipes off like nothing.

Route246
05-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Klasse is rebranded Carlack 68, the legacy line of Carlack in Europe. They still peddle it because it costs them zero in R&D costs, the same as Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Wax peddled here in the green bottle and tin.

Carlack COMPLETE 1000ml Lackreiniger fürs Auto - CAR-LACK Shop (https://www.carlack.com/product_info.php?products_id=81)

They also have a line called Carlack Excellence which is more akin to what we see here from AG with respect to modern chemicals and processes applied to modern clearcoat paints.

Homepage carlack - CAR-LACK Shop (https://www.carlack.com/shop_content.php?coID=12&cPath=1)

You know, they still sell Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Wax which is the same vintage as the Klasse product here in the US but I don't see it for sale on AGO for a reason. There are probably people out there who go to Wal-Mart or their local auto parts store and still buy that stuff and deal with the same difficulties of removing it. It is all they know. If they were here in the forums do you think they might be tempted to try something a little more modern? Just sayin......

No, seriously, the products available today are like comparing your latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone to rotary dial phones or cellular bricks of the past. Sure they might still work in their application space. I still see people using old flip-phones, too, because they like the mechanical buttons or something but there are better products out there. I'm not really sure why someone doesn't avail themselves to modern technology whenever possible. It is usually cheaper/faster/better in most respects.

Compare Klasse AIO to Speed or 360. IMO, no comparison if you care about how flexible, forgiving and easy both Speed and 360 are to use. Klasse is anything but forgiving, violate any of the finicky requirements of Klasse and you are in for an experience, all of it negative.

fightnews
05-05-2018, 11:43 AM

That doesn't really mean anything other then it has a name brand that the masses recognize. Like Armor-all, been around forever but its far from the best product to use. Spam has been around since before World War 2. Does that mean I'm going to buy a can of Spam tonight instead of a nice Prime Ribeye?

FUNX650
05-05-2018, 06:29 PM
@OP:
I’m personally finding it difficult trying
to justify your point of contention.

As such:

•Following the Klasse HGSG application,
there is a “waiting period”—a period of
time in which the product hazes/dries.
{aka: residue(s)}

-NOTE: The above process is no different
from the process that is inherent to, at the
very least, several hundred other LSPs.

•IMO:
-Being that Klasse HGSG is a Sealant:
The removal of its hazed/dried-up residue
by means of a towel—a towel that’s been
wetted with water, no less—is not beneficial
to its longevity.

Bob

custmsprty
05-05-2018, 09:50 PM
+1

That's the way I feel about CQ UK. I bought it and never used it. There are way more posts on this forum about what a pain it is and how finicky it is than how great and easy to use it is. I gave up on Klasse years ago.