PDA

View Full Version : Fixing gouge in paint?

eyedrop
05-04-2018, 03:26 PM
I was driving 80MPH on a busy highway when a medium sized rock came bouncing down the road and landed on top of my hood, creating a smaller dent and gouged the paint. I had a paintless dent removal guy take out the dent which worked out really good. The dealership offered to buff out the defect as best they could free of charge... It looks alot better now but Im still left with some deep gouging that my fingernail falls into, and Im worried they took out all of the clear coat in the process of buffing it out. Hard to tell without a paint thickness gauge.

It may not look too bad in the photos, but the remaining gouges after buffing are deep and there are about 10 of them, little valleys in the paint that are close together from the rough texture of the rock, down to the metal.

Im thinking something like Langka or Dr. ColorChip would help fill in these deeper scratches and make it 90% better without having to repaint the entire hood.. Ive also been recommended to call a guy that can use an airbrush to fix it. Never heard of this method... Finally, there is the traditional method of using factory touchup paint and wetsanding, polishing, etc...

Not sure what direction to go from here. Any suggestions?

Rsurfer
05-04-2018, 03:36 PM
If you have the skills, filling, wet sanding and buffing will give you the best results, short of a repaint.
Not a fan of Dr Colorchip or Lanka. Looks ok from 5'.

howardm4
05-04-2018, 03:40 PM
When a piece of road debris (some piece of metal) gashed my front bumper in multiple places, I filed a claim w/ my insurance.
They covered the whole thing w/o deductible as I recall (about $1200)