PDA

View Full Version : Car wash shampoo that is ok in the SUN and removes grime in presoak?

evo77
05-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Our vehicles are outside 24-7 and are exposed to sunlight most of the day. Its not convenient for me to wait until late afternoon (or early morning) for shade. I'd like to be able to wash the entire vehicle before rinsing because I'm looking to speed up my wash process. Plus since I have don't have water filters I am prone to some light spotting if I leave water on the finish for too long. Being able to fully rinse the entire vehicle at once and then move on to drying eliminates that problem.

Also, I'm looking for the soap to be able to have a little bite to it. The wifeys minivan is driven mostly on the highway and when driven through rain, can get pretty hammered with road grime and other road contamination. So I'm hoping that maybe a presoak with my foam gun (NOT cannon, I do not own a pressure washer) may help loosen up that bonded grime and make the contact wash easier with less passes/rubbing.

After some searching I found that these products below seem to work well in the sun but not sure on the second requirement. I was hoping some of you might have other recommendations? Thanks.

PBW SSS
Mckees 37 Si02

LSNAutoDetailing
05-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Megs Hyperwash. I use it in direct sun-light (AZ!) and it works great in my AG Foam Gun.

DetailKitty
05-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Ive never had an issue using Optimum Car Wash in the sun. Not my ideal situation but sometimes you gotta be in the sun.

Mantilgh
05-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Rupes M101 High Concentrated Detailing Shampoo is supposed to good in the sun.

It’s nice to use and anything left behind wipes away easily.

Most rinseless products work well in the sun, you just have to go panel by panel or you can rewet it.

BryanH
05-04-2018, 02:30 PM
I have found Optimum Car Wash to be the weakest of the half-dozen soaps I've used, fwiw. Great light maintenance wash for dust, but I now do rinseless with ONR for that.

My suggestion for you evo77 is to wash first thing in the morning when the paint has cooled overnight. When it's been out in the sun all day, even when it's shaded at dusk the paint will be hot and soap will dry on it faster.

ducksfan
05-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Rupes M101 High Concentrated Detailing Shampoo is supposed to good in the sun.

It’s nice to use and anything left behind wipes away easily.

Most rinseless products work well in the sun, you just have to go panel by panel or you can rewet it.

Yeah, I would try Meg's 115 rinseless.

The Guz
05-04-2018, 02:51 PM
McKee's SiO2 works great in the full sun. I have not had any issues with it.

When it is sunny here in So Cal and the car is too dirty for a rinseless wash I will either use McKee's SiO2 or another shampoo that rhymes with madams lol. Those two are the only one's that work for me in full sun.

eyedrop
05-04-2018, 02:56 PM
If you must, I would go for some sort of rinseless method as well. It will force you to work in small sections which will in itself prevent water spotting. I dont think your gonna get away with washing the whole vehicle in direct sun without frequent rinsing, and not have water spots. At the very least, the soap will dry on the paint and will be a pain to have to go over that spot again...

I used to wash my car in the sun and tried every trick in the book. Frequent rinsing, special products, wait till its cooler, etc... I literally wash at night time now and it makes a huge difference in quality and even saves time vs. dealing with streaking products (especially windows) and having to remove water spotting down the road...

evo77
05-04-2018, 03:35 PM
If you must, I would go for some sort of rinseless method as well. It will force you to work in small sections which will in itself prevent water spotting. I dont think your gonna get away with washing the whole vehicle in direct sun without frequent rinsing, and not have water spots. At the very least, the soap will dry on the paint and will be a pain to have to go over that spot again...

I used to wash my car in the sun and tried every trick in the book. Frequent rinsing, special products, wait till its cooler, etc... I literally wash at night time now and it makes a huge difference in quality and even saves time vs. dealing with streaking products (especially windows) and having to remove water spotting down the road...

I have been doing rinseless washes for a few years now. And for the exact reasons I have outlined in this thread. However rinseless, for me, has become tiresome and a prolonged affair. Wiping/drying each panel one at time just takes me too long because I'm OCD, which I'm sure many of you can relate. Being able to wash the entire vehicle in ONE FULL SWOOP without stopping then rinse in one full swoop could save me a ton of time. Especially when I have to wash the behemoth minivan.

I simply cannot take advantage of the inconvenient shade hours. Life gets in the way and when I need to knock out a car wash it just has to be during hours in which the sun is beating down.

I have read and seen testimony of some of these aforementioned car washes doing just fine in direct sunlight. Dried soap and all. And then rinse right off with ease.

evo77
05-04-2018, 03:37 PM
McKee's SiO2 works great in the full sun. I have not had any issues with it.

When it is sunny here in So Cal and the car is too dirty for a rinseless wash I will either use McKee's SiO2 or another shampoo that rhymes with madams lol. Those two are the only one's that work for me in full sun.

Thanks Guz. Yes the second one you mentioned is on my radar too. :) Its too bad PBMG doesn't carry it. :(

Frank70
05-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Can Sio2 be used even if the car is not coated? Also, in a foam gun. I have the same issue as evo77.

Bruno Soares
05-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Can Sio2 be used even if the car is not coated? Also, in a foam gun. I have the same issue as evo77.

Yes, will work fine.