PDA

View Full Version : Advice for protection from the AZ sun

rob_v
05-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Hello all,
I recently moved to AZ, and we are getting ready to head into summer. (100+ coming next week)

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage where I am. I have a red 2013 f150 that is normally a garage queen that will be baking in the sun all day.
Getting ready to detail it this weekend. Any recommendations for the harsh sun here?
(wax or other)

Thanks

JCDetails
05-04-2018, 09:29 AM
I'd recommend going for something synthetic and ideally that has UV protection in it as far as LSPs go.

As far as detailing it in the AZ sun? start either early in the morning or later in the evening. Or find a friend with a carport. No way I'd be doing that in the hottest part of the day out there.

howardm4
05-04-2018, 09:30 AM
FK1000P Hi-Temp wax.

rob_v
05-04-2018, 10:31 AM
I'd recommend going for something synthetic and ideally that has UV protection in it as far as LSPs go.

As far as detailing it in the AZ sun? start either early in the morning or later in the evening. Or find a friend with a carport. No way I'd be doing that in the hottest part of the day out there.

Sorry - let me qualify - my truck wont fit all the way in the garage ;)
Yea, no way Id do that in the sun like that. My neighbors already think im weird for washing my car at 6am ;) lol

rob_v
05-04-2018, 10:35 AM
FK1000P Hi-Temp wax.

From what I have read this is a sealant, do you follow this w/ wax or do you use this as a final coat instead of wax? Or is it the same thing?
Thanks

davidc
05-04-2018, 10:45 AM
I have been here in Az. for 41 years now and settled on Collinite products ( mainly 476s ) for LSP. I do rinseless washes 99% of the time and use Optimum no rinse wash and wax with the Car Wax in it. About once a Month or so after a no rinse wash I use Optimum Car Wax full strength. The 476s gets another coat some where around 9 Months. The Wife's 2005 Toyota Sienna has been exposed 24/7 365 days a year and still mostly looks better than new. The1999 Dodge 2500 was in the garage when not being used and has 90k miles on it now. Since retiring 1 1/2 years ago and selling the house as we travel with the 5th wheel the 2500 has had a cover on it off and on as it is the lesser of the evils without a garage and the Toyota is the run about vehicle. The cover installed and strapped keeps the truck surprisingly clean and when it does rain or the monsoons come I only have the Toyota and 5th wheel to clean. Welcome to AZ. 5 Months of "The Valley of the Sun" 7 Months of "The Surface of the Sun".

Dave

Route246
05-04-2018, 11:02 AM
I have been here in Az. for 41 years now and settled on Collinite products ( mainly 476s ) for LSP. I do rinseless washes 99% of the time and use Optimum no rinse wash and wax with the Car Wax in it. About once a Month or so after a no rinse wash I use Optimum Car Wax full strength. The 476s gets another coat some where around 9 Months. The Wife's 2005 Toyota Sienna has been exposed 24/7 365 days a year and still mostly looks better than new. The1999 Dodge 2500 was in the garage when not being used and has 90k miles on it now. Since retiring 1 1/2 years ago and selling the house as we travel with the 5th wheel the 2500 has had a cover on it off and on as it is the lesser of the evils without a garage and the Toyota is the run about vehicle. The cover installed and strapped keeps the truck surprisingly clean and when it does rain or the monsoons come I only have the Toyota and 5th wheel to clean. Welcome to AZ. 5 Months of "The Valley of the Sun" 7 Months of "The Surface of the Sun".

Dave

I use a similar method, clay, AIO, 476s as needed. Weekly wash with OCW:FastWax(50:50) drying agent. OCW or FastWax provides sufficient UV absorbers so that the paint is always kept protected. I think using a spray wax as drying agent will provide you plenty of protection, even in the AZ sun. I'm in NorCal.

ducksfan
05-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Move.

Or at least that's what I'm doing for 4-6 months. And, I only live in SoCal where typical is high 90's, low 100's in the summer.

The difference between low 100's and 107-108+ is staggering. Body temp being 98-99, the affects as you pass through the 100's isn't linear. I don't know how people function in lower elevation Arizona, let alone work.

davidc
05-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Move.

Or at least that's what I'm doing for 4-6 months. And, I only live in SoCal where typical is high 90's, low 100's in the summer.

The difference between low 100's and 107-108+ is staggering. Body temp being 98-99, the affects as you pass through the 100's isn't linear. I don't know how people function in lower elevation Arizona, let alone work.

Yeah I know the work part. I worked outside on the job for all those years and the older I became the harder it was. When we moved here in 77 Phoenix area was quite small and the highs were like 104. Now it is like a giant metropolis with all the crime and other associations that come with it. Sad to see it go that way. The heat is way up the scale now and every year it seems to get worse. If it keeps going you will need a flame suit to go outside or it will become uninhabitable.

Dave

LSNAutoDetailing
05-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Dave

Welcome to AZ! I've already survived my first summer here, so I'm considered a resident now! :) Also, I've started a group here on the AGO site (didn't know they existed, they must be new!) called Arizona Auto Detailers:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/groups/arizona-auto-detailers.html

+1 on the Collinite 476/845 >>>>> "Leaves behind carnauba shine and durable coating that preserves finish and shields against the elements; UV, rain, snow, salt, dust, dirt, grime, bugs, staining and more." I have all the Collinite products in my line-up of offerings, however, I've been using them less and less, and now they're just collecting dust.

What you'll expect is a rain shower that is proceeded by dust storm. The rich minerals in the dust will mix with the water and leave water spots from hell. Good protection is a must!

Just offering a different opinion and this where I differ from David a bit. I've since left waxes in the dust.... Literally. The issue with carnauba is, I have found it to attract and hold dust. My vehicles have CQUK and for customers vehicles I recently switched from using CQUK/CQClassic to Gtechniq EXO. This allows several things: good protection from UV (most important), spots and dust. It also helps with maintenance washes and getting the water off the vehicle quickly with a blower. Longevity is pretty darn good. They act as the sacrificial barrier between your paint and light scratches, dust, bird & sap droppings. In my experience it takes two coats to protect against monsoon dust/water storms.

The downside is you will not be able to apply such a coating in sun-light, and there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to applying coatings. The pro to Collinite, is it's bubba proof... Wax-on-wax-off and it does leave a deep rich shine. Like everything there are pro's and cons to each.

I moved here from New Hampshire, and I must say, despite brutal winters, nor-ester's, bitter-to-the-bone cold (with ocean effect), I have to say Arizona is a very harsh environment. I'm now certain that the surface of Mars is about equal. Good luck!!!

davidc
05-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Just a FYI that does not involve detailng. Try to not be outside when the dirt/dust/sand is flying around and that includes self made (Digging etc.). A lot of people are not aware of this and a internet search may help you to understand more but the Southwest has a fungus that is called Valley Fever and anything that breathes is susceptible to it. If infected without medical attention it can cause death otherwise mainly respiratory problems and fatigue. Just a heads up to protect your health.

Dave

eyedrop
05-04-2018, 02:41 PM
I live in AZ and agree with the posters above. Stay away from any sort of organic wax since it attracts dust and doesn't last long in the baking sun. I use a synthetic sealant called Prima Hydro MAX. I like it because its extremely easy to work because its so thin and easy to spread, and doesn't leave any streaks or fillers behind. Just spray and wipe off.

I honestly dont think it matters too much what brand or product you choose as long as its decent quality and fully synthetic. Cars get super dusty out here and water spots are really bad when it does rain. Dont touch the paint when its dusty and dont use oily crap like carnauba or anything like that.. Wash at night time, use a foam gun presoak and rinse, 2 buckets method, and finish off with a long lasting synthetic with no fillers. You could also use a cheaper synthetic spray "wax" as a drying agent and to top up protection after normal maintenance washes.

davidc
05-04-2018, 03:04 PM
I have heard/read where people talk about carnuba attracting dust. I really can not agree with those statements as I have never really been able to see a difference between Zaino,Duragloss,Fk1000 or Collinite. Right now I applied each panel on the Sienna with Collinite 845,885,476s and 915 just doing a comparison and any dust blowing around was pretty much the same as I have experienced with anything else I have seen or used. Maybe if you have a dark vehicle it would be more noticeable.

Dave

Rsurfer
05-04-2018, 03:11 PM
I have heard/read where people talk about carnuba attracting dust. I really can not agree with those statements as I have never really been able to see a difference between Zaino,Duragloss,Fk1000 or Collinite. Right now I applied each panel on the Sienna with Collinite 845,885,476s and 915 just doing a comparison and any dust blowing around was pretty much the same as I have experienced with anything else I have seen or used. Maybe if you have a dark vehicle it would be more noticeable.

Dave
Try using something like Pinnacle Souveran on half your hood and any of the hybrid waxes mentioned above and see the difference.