PDA

View Full Version : What do you define as a ‘one step’ service?

JCDetails
05-02-2018, 08:15 PM
So, I had a job come up and for the first time I was trying to figure out what bucket it fell into.

On one end of the extreme I have the easy stuff; express wash/wax, clay/wax and AIO jobs.

Other end; scratch removal, real correction, and coatings.

This particular job is going to be more than an AIO in terms of paint, but budget wise can’t be a full correction. This to me meant for the budget allotted, I’d do a single step polish with something like Jescar medium cut, and seal with power lock.

But then I got to thinking (dangerous I know)...am I doing it right?

Arguably a full correction is at least 2 steps normally. Compound and polish, generally.

So, for a ‘one step’ do you consider it to be a compound only and no refining? Or is it a slightly more aggressive polishing with less defect removal (and time) than a 2 step? And why do you do it that way?

With compounds that finish as well as they do now (Jescar, carpro, scholl) I think you could easily stop at the compounding stage but I also wonder if maybe those results would be so good that you’d have issues selling a full correction!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Calendyr
05-02-2018, 08:42 PM
When you offer a one step correction, your best bet is to go with a cleaner wax. Something like Meguiars D166 or D151, 3D Speed or similar products. These waxes have abrasives half way between a finishing polish and a compound (like a one step polish or swirl remover) and also contain waxes and/or sealants so you don't have to waste time sealing the paint afterwards.

So now it is up to you to decide how you want to use them, Option 1) Spend the same time doing a polish and charge less because you are saving the time from applying the sealant, waiting for it to cure and then wiping it off. Or, you can work the paint a little more with the time saved on the sealant and give a better correction to the paint.

Also, you can choose between finishing better or having more defects removed by choosing a polishing pad or cutting pad to do the job. Me, I always go with cutting on dark vehicles because swirls are very visible, on light paint I think polishing is a better choice singe defects are harder to see. But that is your choice in the end.

JCDetails
05-02-2018, 08:48 PM
See I had been defining a one step separately (and more expensive) prior to this point.

I figure an AIO has less defect removal but saves a lot of time as you said. A single stage should remove more defects, but may require a separate protecting step and is billed accordingly for the extra time. In theory, a dedicated sealant (like power lock) should last longer also.

It seemed like a decent middle step between a quickie AIO and a full 2 step, but Now i don’t quite know if it makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

DMiglio
05-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Hey just a weekend warrior/amateur opinion here, but depending on how you want to go about it and what you consider a “one step.” I feel the same as you that an AIO is separate from a “one step” correction, but is most likely going to be a more aggressive polish(and/or pad combo) than you’d use as a finishing step in a 2 step correction.

Benefits of a “one step” over an AIO, might be that you can get more defects out and then add a separate protection option, getting an upsell to a sealant or coating even. This obviously takes more time and would cost more and makes a 2 step harder to sell potentially, but all boils down to customer’s wants and budget.

One thing I’ve read here from Joe Metlow, is what he terms a “1.5 step” correction. This is where he would use a compound and cutting pad in the “one step” correction (1) and the “second step” which he has as a “half step” (.5) where he follows up with an AIO and polishing or finishing pad. This cleans any haze and adds that extra shine and depth that may possibly be lacking if you used a compound in a “one step” for extra defect removal over a medium cut polish. This also becomes the LSP and cuts out that extra step from a 2 step detail where you’d add a separate LSP, saving time and possibly allowing you to get your client that “2 step” within their budget?

Dan Tran
05-02-2018, 09:20 PM
I recently changed up my services a bit.

1) I used to advertise online All-in-One.

2) Now I offer a dedicated high gloss polish topped with a sealant and charge a bit more.

So to answer your question, I think that option 2 is more of a valid one step.

What comes to mind especially is Rupes UHS system.

TTQ B4U
05-02-2018, 09:42 PM
What you're describing matches my Option 1 noted below. Pretty much all my packages have about 2-2.5hrs just washing, decontaminating and prepping the vehicles for the polishing phase.

I have a series of packages that offer AIO and multi-step corrections. I list most as a hybrid sealant being used with several different coating packages as options broken out separately. Basically a good, better and best offering. Most all of my deals are coating jobs. It's rare that I don't. This past weekend was one of them (2016 Toyota Camry) as the owner wants to wax and maintain it going forward on their own.

New Car Prep and Protection Coating Package: Pretty much exactly what it says. This package is geared towards cleaning, perfecting and coating brand new vehicles to not only maximize their current new finish but to protect it going forward.

Option 1: Basic Clean & Protect Detail: Pretty much an AIO but a process by which I don't focus so much on "correction". I use D166, Sonax Cleaner Wax and HD Speed. I describe this as not being so much a paint correction package but it in many cases it will reduce the appearance of swirls and scratches.

Option 2: Premium Enhancement: Still an AIO for me but sometimes it's a polish and a coating. All depends on what the client wants. I may get shunned here but not everyone who buys a coating wants to pay for a full correction. I describe it as a process of light paint correction involving an all in one polish and sealant, with the main goal to remove minor imperfections and reducing light swirls upwards of 75%+. In many cases I remove light surface abrasions completely.

Option 3: Elite Enhancement: This is a compound and either AIO or separate polish and coating. Again, depends on what the customer wants. I describe this as a paint correction process with the the goal being to significantly reduce (90%+ reduction) and in many cases, eliminate most of the swirls and abrasions through a Multi-Stage Paint Correction.

Option 4: Signature Elite Enhancement: This process is a full 100% paint correction process. Garage queen and weekend driver package basically. It's a multi-step compound and polish to remove any scratches that can be removed from the paint. This time consuming and labor-intensive and I charge accordingly.

I also offer a Routine Maintenance Service package that is an intense cleaning. I knock these out quickly and often in early morning while they get breakfast or in the evening whereby they can come pick it up after dinner.

dlc95
05-02-2018, 10:10 PM
For me It's about price.

I will do a test spot for my Option 1 "Cleansing Wax", Option 2 Polish + Sealant, and Option 3 Compound + Polish + Sealant.

From there they can choose which one suits their needs, and I can start working.

There have been times in the past where I would cut with a compound, and finish with a cleaner wax, either M66, or Duragloss 101. Either of those would work great for clean up.

If you take the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System, it's a good example of a heavy cut compound paired with a cleaner wax to finish.

WEST SIDE
05-03-2018, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=DMiglio;
Benefits of a “one step” over an AIO, might be that you can get more defects out and then add a separate protection option, getting an upsell to a sealant or coating even. This obviously takes more time and would cost more and makes a 2 step harder to sell potentially, but all boils down to customer’s wants and budget.

I'm a hobbyist as I only do my own vehicles. I prefer a one step on my white truck as it finishes well (white hides a lot) and I top with a sealant.
On a darker color not so sure.

SWETM
05-03-2018, 02:39 AM
If I where to think about it to a business point of view. A one step polishing I would describe to the customer that they get a high gloss level as possible. No promises at what correction % they get just that they have the best finish possible. So much depends on the defects on the paint the customer has and then the hardness of the clearcoat on the car. When I would do the test spot I would not go with the most detect free and good enough spot. But with the best finish possible and get the correction it gets. So no dullness in the paint but a clear finish. And when doing the test spot look at how high coarse setup you can go with great finish and not good enough. Then you leave a finish that is great but not defect free as a 2 step correction gets. And if the customer is lucky and gets alot of the defects taken out it's a win win.

Look at it the way a customer comes back after a year when you have done a 2 step correction. They have done a great job at maintain their car. But it's some slightly wash indused marring. That a polish takes care of with a great finish. A paint correction does not always involves a 2 step correction. And I think that the finish is the most important to any correction. I aim on the best finish possible and not good enough.

It's just the thoughts I have about it. Cause many chase the defects on the paint more than the finish. And a customers clearcoat is just as thin as your own cars clearcoat.

JCDetails
05-03-2018, 11:37 AM
So from the general tone of the responses it seems like I'm on the right track in that a one step isn't really compounding without finishing, but more finishing without compounding.

Along the lines of what SWETM said, I'd basically sell a one-step as using a particular polish and trying a couple different pads to produce the best result possible, but at the end of the day we get what we get. No specific percentage or target for defect removal, a single stage that does what it does and that's that.

I love the idea of a test spot to sell services. However I also wonder about the feasibility especially with more damaged paint. Obviously the compounded and polished spot is going to look a LOT better than the rest, but if the customer decides they want one of the lower services, doesn't that two or three stepped spot stick out like a sore thumb?

Calendyr
05-03-2018, 07:15 PM
I would love to see a direct comparisson between a one step polish and a good AIO. I highly doubt you can get more defects out with the polish. Something like D166 has a lot of cut and the sealant in it is supposed to be good for 6 months just like a normal sealant. It's always hard to know if these claims are true, all the testing I see being done always end up with sealants failing after just a few months. Anyways... if someone decides to test them side by side, I will be very happy to see the results ;)

Calendyr
05-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Forgot to comment about the rest LOL

For me it's a matter of effectiveness based on time spent and expenses on products.

If you go with a heavy polish (or light compound) as a one step then seal with let's say Powerlock. You have to spend an extra hour (depends on size of vehicle and your technique) to apply, let haze and remove. You also pay for 2 products, the polish and the sealant and, if you want to do a good job, you need to use a paint prep to clean the car from polishing oils before applying the sealant. So that's an extra 30 minutes and more product to spend money on.

So to me, combining all of that in 1 product that is very easy to wipe off and gives a great result like D166 is a no brainer.

I often combine it with a compound too, as a polish replacement.

What I would really like to see is a comparisson in gloss units between finishing with D166 vs finishing with M205 then sealing.

I reallly need to get my hands on a paint gloss meter. Been itching to order one for 2 weeks ;) 145$ on e-bay, my only issue is that it's from China, and I have had bad experiences in the past with chineese vendors.... ;(

FUNX650
05-03-2018, 07:23 PM
{Excluding the wash/dry/decon steps}

I define a ‘One-Step Service’ as: going
around a vehicle with an AIO product,
for a grand total of just one time.

Bob

SWETM
05-05-2018, 01:43 AM
So from the general tone of the responses it seems like I'm on the right track in that a one step isn't really compounding without finishing, but more finishing without compounding.

Along the lines of what SWETM said, I'd basically sell a one-step as using a particular polish and trying a couple different pads to produce the best result possible, but at the end of the day we get what we get. No specific percentage or target for defect removal, a single stage that does what it does and that's that.

I love the idea of a test spot to sell services. However I also wonder about the feasibility especially with more damaged paint. Obviously the compounded and polished spot is going to look a LOT better than the rest, but if the customer decides they want one of the lower services, doesn't that two or three stepped spot stick out like a sore thumb?

I'm with you on the test spot to show the difference in them. The goal is to try to explain as thorough as possible what your packages has to offer. And the problem with explain in the terms of % defects free your packages has. Is that cars is so different to reach those numbers. And you do correction different on soft clearcoat and hard clearcoats. The biggest difference would be for a one step on a Honda soft clearcoat and a BMW hard clearcoat. Where you would get alot more correction done on the Honda than on the BMW. So it's not easy to put a car in the right package deal before if you promise a correction %.

The thing I think would be easy to have if you have a shop. Is to have a panel that you show some different approach to. When mobile you could have a portfolio of pictures that describes it and shows it.

The biggest difference from a polish and a AIO in correction as I think. Is that it's alot more abrasives particles in a polish. And I think that if you go to coarse with the pad with a AIO you can mask the haze the pads creates. So what happens when the protection and the filling the AIO has wears off? I think that you get a lot more correction from a polish than a AIO. Sure you can can see them on par with each other when just done. But in the longrun I still think that the polish is a head. Take Sonax ex04-06 on a medium polishing pad for an example you get a pretty impresive cut and finish from. I would be very suprised if an AIO and if stripped the protection from it and used the same pad. Would get you a better cut.