PDA

View Full Version : Clay mitt scratches

Rtrick87
05-02-2018, 02:25 PM
How’s it going,

I have the nanoskin fine clay mitt.

I noticed the other day that where were fine scratches all over on my truck. My process is pressure washer rinse, foam cannon and then two bucket wash.

Then I rinse and refoam the paint and use the foam as lubrication and also add soap to my bucket for extra lube for each panel.

I let it glide, barely any pressure other then enough to move it across the paint. I’ve never had this happen with a clay bar so curious to see if anyone else has had any issues and to point out if I’m doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

:)

LSNAutoDetailing
05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Lot of things to factor...
1.) Were you doing it in sun-light or shade? Clay and or clay mitts DO NOT work in sun-light. The rubber of the mitt will become soft and gooey and actually stick to the paint.
2.) It's not uncommon for the mitt to grab some areas that were not fully washed and grab some of that dirt.
3.) The idea of the clay / clay mitt is to remove above bonded contaminants. After every few passes, I blast mine with the hose to ensure anything caught in the mitt is released.
4.) I usually use a dedicated dilution of rinsless wash mix for clay lube. I use Megs D114 (now extinct) however there is a great McKee's product called 914. These two products have been formulated specifically with a dilution suggestion for clay lube.

And lastly, I typically don't clay unless I'm prepared to do some form of correction after, mainly because of what you mention. Maintenance washes DO NOT involve clay. I save any form of clay (fine or otherwise) for when the vehicle will get some form of correction.

DBAILEY
05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Your process sounds legit. The foam should give you plenty of lubrication. I am not a big fan of the clay towels, mitts and blocks. I'll only use them if the car is already pretty contaminate free. I don't think they rinse as clean as people think they do. If the car is dirty then its real clay. I find that real clay will out clean the alternatives.

I find that marring from the clay towels, mitts and blocks is worse the more orange peel texture your paint has. They will mar the peaks. Your paint looks quite smooth though in that photo

rlmccarty2000
05-02-2018, 02:43 PM
I use the Nanoskin clay rag with a dedicated clay lube and don’t get any marring. Seems a lot of people get scratches when using soap as their lube. Then again my BMW paint is very hard, so it could be your paint. There are always many variables when trying to figure out what is causing a problem.

Rtrick87
05-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Lot of things to factor...
1.) Were you doing it in sun-light or shade? Clay and or clay mitts DO NOT work in sun-light. The rubber of the mitt will become soft and gooey and actually stick to the paint.
2.) It's not uncommon for the mitt to grab some areas that were not fully washed and grab some of that dirt.
3.) The idea of the clay / clay mitt is to remove above bonded contaminants. After every few passes, I blast mine with the hose to ensure anything caught in the mitt is released.
4.) I usually use a dedicated dilution of rinsless wash mix for clay lube. I use Megs D114 (now extinct) however there is a great McKee's product called 914.

And lastly, I typically don't clay unless I'm prepared to do some form of correction after, mainly because of what you mention. Maintenance washes DO NOT involve clay. I save any form of clay (fine or otherwise) for when the vehicle will get some form of correction.

I usually wash in the shade, but sometimes end up in the sun. I’ve only clayed this truck once and it was in the shade with that clay mitt. This is good to know, trying to expand my knowledge to the exterior of correctness. I’m sure once I get back to try and polish I’ll have more questions. Which I’m sure will be soon since now I have to see these god ugly scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

SWETM
05-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Often it's recommended to break in the clay alternatives on the windows first time and then do the paint. Then personally I use a dedicated clay lube to get the most lubrication. It can be that you have a soft paint that is easly marred. And it's important to clean the clay alternatives often as you do pick up bonded contaminants from the paint and could get dirt if missed washing some little spot. Even when it's very windy outside I don't clay since that can stirr up dirt on the paint.

What car modell did you clay?

Nix
05-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Break in your towel on glass first...Only advise use clay mitt or clay bar if you are planning on doing the polishing right after..

Rtrick87
05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Often it's recommended to break in the clay alternatives on the windows first time and then do the paint. Then personally I use a dedicated clay lube to get the most lubrication. It can be that you have a soft paint that is easly marred. And it's important to clean the clay alternatives often as you do pick up bonded contaminants from the paint and could get dirt if missed washing some little spot. Even when it's very windy outside I don't clay since that can stirr up dirt on the paint.

What car modell did you clay?

Dodge Durango.

Mike Phillips
05-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Some paints scratch easier than others, some a LOT easier.

This is why my own rule that I detail by is

"If I'm going to do ANY form of mechanical decontamination, I'm already planning on doing at least ONE form of machine polishing"

The machine polishing could be a one-step cleaner/wax or a polish or a compound and polish, but "something".

Rtrick87
05-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Some paints scratch easier than others, some a LOT easier.

This is why my own rule that I detail by is

"If I'm going to do ANY form of mechanical decontamination, I'm already planning on doing at least ONE form of machine polishing"

The machine polishing could be a one-step cleaner/wax or a polish or a compound and polish, but "something".

My driveways very unprotected from the sun. I don’t know what polishes are sun friendly and what not. Suggestions on polishes that remove light imperfections and easy to work with?

PaulMys
05-02-2018, 05:33 PM
My driveways very unprotected from the sun. I don’t know what polishes are sun friendly and what not. Suggestions on polishes that remove light imperfections and easy to work with?

Pure Polish: HD Polish

If you want an AIO, HD Speed.

Both are very sun-friendly, and easy to remove.

Rtrick87
05-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Pure Polish: HD Polish

If you want an AIO, HD Speed.

Both are very sun-friendly, and easy to remove.

Can you put a coating like McKee’s 37 or cquartz on top of HD speed?

PaulMys
05-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Can you put a coating like McKee’s 37 or cquartz on top of HD speed?

No. The paint should be free and clear to accept a coating.