PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire paint cleaner. Help!

Pages : [1] 2

sonors
05-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Just bought Blackfire Paint Cleaner. Tried using it with a D/A polisher and could not buff it off without it leaving streaks and haziness. Followed directions on bottle. Had to use M205 to get it clear. Applied manually and unless I just wiped it on and then took it off IMMEDIATELY it would still streak and haze. What am I doing wrong?

Paul A.
05-01-2018, 09:20 AM
I would ask a few questions...

What was used before Paint Cleaner? What make, age and type of paint? Also what climatic conditions are you in?

How are you specifically using Paint Cleaner i.e. Machine, pad choice, how much product and section pass technique?

Did you try it again after 205?

sonors
05-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Washed first with CG soap. Clayed next. !0 year old black Infiniti paint. Used a PC D/A with a white pad. 2x2 foot section. Used amount of product specified on bottle. 4 dime sized drops I believe. Weather was perfect. Did work in my garage.

Chopper280
05-01-2018, 09:46 AM
I really like this product and have had good success with it. You said wipe off immediately and that's what I do.
Before it even starts to really haze over I wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
I have to ask this. You are not trying to machine buff it off r u?

sonors
05-01-2018, 09:51 AM
I really like this product and have had good success with it. You said wipe off immediately and that's what I do.
Before it even starts to really haze over I wipe it off with a microfiber towel.
I have to ask this. You are not trying to machine buff it off r u?

No. I tried to apply with the D/A and remove with mf towel. Could not get it to come off clean. Also, if having to apply and wipe off so quickly how can the fillers do their thing?

Mike Phillips
05-01-2018, 09:57 AM
!0 year old black Infiniti paint.

What is the car?

Did you mean 10 year old paint? As in a car from 2008?

What you typed was an exclamation point followed by a zero --> !0

I'm starting to wonder if this car has the infamous self-healing paint which is one of the worst paint systems ever invented and put on a car.

Go to Google and type in,

self healing paint infinity

Or type in,

self healing paint infinity mike Phillips

And you'll get his results

Swirls on '08 Infiniti G37s - Self-Healing Paint ? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/26609-swirls-08-infiniti-g37s-self-healing-paint.html)

:)

Chopper280
05-01-2018, 10:00 AM
By the time one panel is polished drying is well on its way.
Sorry but this a new problem to me but things like this happen.
There is probably one thing causing the problem.

Mike Phillips
05-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Sounds like the paint is soft and if this is the case, get some BLACKFIRE Polish and skip the paint cleaner.

I type this all the time, here goes again,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product.

You either use a paint cleaner or a polish but you don't use or need both as this is redundant. Here's the deal. A high quality polish will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do and more as it will actually remove defects. A paint cleaner only cleans the surface. It requires just as much time and work to apply both so might as well apply the polish and actually get better results for your time, money and energy.

FWIW

I never use paint cleaners. I'll either use a true polish or a one-step cleaner/wax.

If this paint ends up being finicky, you might like the new Pinnacle Jewelling Wax.

sonors
05-01-2018, 10:18 AM
What is the car?

I'm starting to wonder if this car has the infamous self-healing paint which is one of the worst paint systems ever invented and put on a car.

Or type in,

Swirls on '08 Infiniti G37s - Self-Healing Paint ? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/26609-swirls-08-infiniti-g37s-self-healing-paint.html)

10 years. typo. I saw some stuff about the "self healing" clear. Not sure if my car has it. I bought it used recently. Also it is my understanding that after 3 years or so, the self healing aspect of the clear is gone. I have been able to use M205 with success on this car.

sonors
05-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Sounds like the paint is soft and if this is the case, get some BLACKFIRE Polish and skip the paint cleaner.

I type this all the time, here goes again,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product.

You either use a paint cleaner or a polish but you don't use or need both as this is redundant. Here's the deal. A high quality polish will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do and more as it will actually remove defects. A paint cleaner only cleans the surface. It requires just as much time and work to apply both so might as well apply the polish and actually get better results for your time, money and energy.

FWIW

I never use paint cleaners. I'll either use a true polish or a one-step cleaner/wax.

If this paint ends up being finicky, you might like the new Pinnacle Jewelling Wax.

I polished this in February right after I got it. Decided switch to a sealant so I wanted to be sure I had a good surface to apply it to. Figured I'd save clear coat by using a non-abrasive cleaner.

sonors
05-01-2018, 10:29 AM
What is the car?

Or type in,

Ooops, typo. Car is a 2008 G35. I have read about the "self healing" paint. Somewhere I read that the self healing properties are gone after about 3 years. After that I imagine it would be like regular cc. I did polish with M205 with success when I bought the car in February.

Mike Phillips
05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
10 years. typo. I saw some stuff about the "self healing" clear. Not sure if my car has it. I bought it used recently.

Also it is my understanding that after 3 years or so, the self healing aspect of the clear is gone. I have been able to use M205 with success on this car.

If you're using M205 without problems then my guess is it's NOT a self-healing paint or you would probably see mico-marring from the M205

I polished this in February right after I got it. Decided switch to a sealant so I wanted to be sure I had a good surface to apply it to. Figured I'd save clear coat by using a non-abrasive cleaner.

That's a good though-train, looks like your car's paint simply doesn't like the BF Paint Cleaner. IF the M205 is working, then stick with it and after using it seal the paint. Then wash carefully.

Ooops, typo. Car is a 2008 G35.

A Guru on an Infinity G35 discussion forum could probably give you accurate information.

JustJesus
05-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Figured I'd save clear coat by using a non-abrasive cleaner.

That is one reason I'd consider using a paint cleaner, or non-abrasive paint polish myself. The paint on my Jeep is too thin to mess around with!

Like Mike said above, it could be that self healing paint.

On a side note, I had a small issue when using this product. On one car, no issues. Next car, a slight hazy film was left behind. Took care of it with some rinseless. More details here -> Review: BLACKFIRE Paint Cleaner (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/118477-review-blackfire-paint-cleaner.html)

sonors
05-01-2018, 11:25 AM
What is the car?

Or type in,

It's a 2008 black G35. I read somewhere that after 3 years or so the "self healing" (if I have it) properties of the clear would be gone. At that point I would think the clear would be like any other CC.

Nix
05-01-2018, 11:52 AM
i had same issue with gloss enhancing polish older bottle. hard to buff and would not come off...i have soft honda paint..only thing works for me without an issue is m205 and ultimate polish..also if you are looking for chemical cleaner try P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax (https://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html) P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

No issue on soft paint..