PDA

View Full Version : Using Car Coatings in the Bathroom or on Toilets

Pages : [1] 2

superm1
04-28-2018, 01:24 AM
I have a Toto toilet which does a great job cleansing humans but unfortunately has a design flaw in keeping itself clean since fecal matter sticks to the sides of the bowl where the water level is low.

This particular toilet is made of vitreous china if that makes a difference and is supposed to have some kind of glaze that is hydrophobic but it doesn't seem to be very good. However since there is some kind of coating already I think that whatever coating or topper used should probably contain no solvents which may eliminate a number of options like Aquapel/RainX.

I was thinking of using a ceramic coating similar to what I have on my car (Cquartz) and perhaps something different for Mirrors/Glass and ceramic tile.

What kind of car products would work well for things like porcelain/ceramic tile, toilets, or shower-doors?

They all see a pretty heavy amount of water so it would need to be something that lasts at least a year between applications.

I looked at reviews for things like Rustoleum Neverwet, but they were mostly negative. I think perhaps an automotive level product might work better. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

BudgetPlan1
04-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Love our Toto toilets, could flush a basketball down those things with no issues.

Never coated ours but have coated the solid surface shower walls, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances to great effect. The black touchpads on appliances really benefit from coating, stay much cleaner as do the stainless appliances.

showbbq
04-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Love our Toto toilets, could flush a basketball down those things with no issues.

Never coated ours but have coated the solid surface shower walls, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances to great effect. The black touchpads on appliances really benefit from coating, stay much cleaner as do the stainless appliances.

I'm not surprised that you've tried all these lol.

Ebg18t
04-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Our fiberglass tub and tile showers received a coat of WGUC. Worked well and lasted about a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DetailDrivenEugene
04-28-2018, 12:06 PM
I have coated glass shower doors with Wolfgang Uber ceramic with good results. Been a few months, and still going strong.

custmsprty
04-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Ewwwwww I thought I had seen it all here, that is until today. OMG!!!

:postpics:

LMFAO!!!!

FUNX650
04-28-2018, 12:25 PM
A vitreous china toilet already has a
“Coating”—a porcelain enamel coating;
i.e.: a rather slick finish.

IMO:
•In order to have another “type of a finish”—
such as an automotive Coating—adhere to
the interior of the toilet, the porcelain enamel
finish would need to etched.

-Wouldn’t that etching, basically, destroy the
integrity of the porcelain enamel finish? What
automotive Coating can: not only fill-in the
etchings; but, also, be capable of having all
the qualities inherent to porcelain enamel?

•Experience deems that: not all areas of a
vitreous china toilet will accommodate a
satisfactory repair; or, a “refinishing” job.

-Trying to “refinish” the interior of a vitreous
china toilet, especially with an automotive
Coating, has to be: a worst case scenario.

Bob

superm1
04-28-2018, 01:21 PM

LMFAO!!!!

you don't really want pictures, do you? i could ... produce some... later today if you really wanted.

superm1
04-28-2018, 01:27 PM
A vitreous china toilet already has a
“Coating”—a porcelain enamel coating;
i.e.: a rather slick finish.

IMO:
•In order to have another “type of a finish”—
such as an automotive Coating—adhere to
the interior of the toilet, the porcelain enamel
finish would need to etched.

-Wouldn’t that etching, basically, destroy the
integrity of the porcelain enamel finish? What
automotive Coating can: not only fill-in the
etchings; but, also, be capable of having all
the qualities inherent to porcelain enamel?

•Experience deems that: not all areas of a
vitreous china toilet will accommodate a
satisfactory repair; or, a “refinishing” job.

-Trying to “refinish” the interior of a vitreous
china toilet, especially with an automotive
Coating, has to be: a worst case scenario.

Bob

Yes this is the concern I had for both the toilet and the tile. The toilet manufacturer said that their finish does wear off pretty easily and some people have applied waxes that last a short while, but they were unaware of any longer lasting coatings.

I looked up "non-solvent" coatings and I came up with Pearl Nano and Kamikaze. I'm not sure whether or not it will bond well, but effectively I'm guessing it will just be like a layer on top of the enamel or glaze?

BudgetPlan1
04-28-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm not surprised that you've tried all these lol.Winters are long here in Ohio...gotta stay in the game somehow!

evtifosi
04-30-2018, 02:45 PM
We have the same "sanagloss" treatment on our Toto toilets - after 6 years I am not sure it makes any difference anymore, but we are still careful with them. I do wonder what is a good process to remove the hard water ring we get on the waterline in the bowl - something that wouldn't harm the "treated finish". I have used bar keepers friend and just love sitting there scrubbing the ring out by hand (not)...

Honestly I never thought of another coating - but that is quite the question!

TTQ B4U
04-30-2018, 02:47 PM
I have a Toto toilet which does a great job cleansing humans but unfortunately has a design flaw in keeping itself clean since fecal matter sticks to the sides of the bowl where the water level is low.

haha that you posted this recently. We have a trio of Toto bidets that given their price I wanted to coat and protect. No so much from the above but just in general :)

custmsprty
04-30-2018, 03:12 PM
We have the same "sanagloss" treatment on our Toto toilets - after 6 years I am not sure it makes any difference anymore, but we are still careful with them. I do wonder what is a good process to remove the hard water ring we get on the waterline in the bowl - something that wouldn't harm the "treated finish". I have used bar keepers friend and just love sitting there scrubbing the ring out by hand (not)...

Honestly I never thought of another coating - but that is quite the question!

I've never heard of a toto brand toilet, but on my Kohler toilets I use a pumice stone and it works like a charm. We have some seriously hard water in Florida.

Route246
04-30-2018, 05:39 PM

LMFAO!!!!

Toto toilet in Japan looks something like this.

dlc95
04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Eh boy...

I was wondering the EXACT same thing this morning....