PDA

View Full Version : Big black truck needs simple care solution

Largebore
04-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Been off the forums for awhile. I thought I was done with black but just got a new old truck. 2002 F350 Powerstroke in Black. I really really do not want to spend a lot of time keeping it up. I will do three stage polish but would like the best heavy duty final step. Is 4 star pretty much the best choice ? I cannot deal with carnuba although sovereign is my favorite paste wax for a car!

Whitewater25
04-23-2018, 08:19 PM
I just got a 2006 crew cab super duty in black ( Why?? ) I hit it with HD Speed followed by 845. 2 months in and still looks good and still sheeting water when it rains.

The Guz
04-23-2018, 09:40 PM
With today's polishes and how good the abrasive technology are, you should not need to do three steps. Two at the most if you choose to compound and polish. You also have the option of an all in one and even a one step polish. There are plenty of good brands sold through autogeek.

If you are looking for a good brand of polishes and protection then I would consider Sonax.

Sonax Cut & Finish is a great one step compounding polish that has very good correction and leaves a nice finish. Sonax EX 04-06 is a nice polish as well that leaves a nice finish. Sonax Cut Max is not as aggressive as some polishes but it does a very good job. The nice things about these polishes is that they don't dust.

They also offer Polymer Net Shield which is a great sealant. I will vouch for their CC36 ceramic coating as well as their Brilliant Shine Detailer.

McKee's Fast Polish are two great polishes as well. I have not had time to play with the compound. The McKee's line is a forum favorite.

The new Blackfire Compound and Polish are nice as well.

Largebore
04-23-2018, 09:51 PM
One steps are kinda looking good. I had gotten so used two three step Mezerna polishes that I had not considered anything else

wing commander
04-23-2018, 11:47 PM
If the paint is original I would only use a one step and call it a day. Clear coat failure is extremely noticeable on black paint.12 years is nothing to laugh at.

The Guz
04-24-2018, 01:14 AM
One steps are kinda looking good. I had gotten so used two three step Mezerna polishes that I had not considered anything else

I found the thread which introduced me into Sonax Cut & Finish. As seen in the thread it's cut is pad dependent.

NEW SONAX Cut & Finish - Extreme Showcar Makeover - Removing Holograms using the FLEX 3401 (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2017-and-older-product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/105789-new-sonax-cut-finish-extreme-showcar-makeover-removing-holograms-using-flex-3401-a.html)

Largebore
04-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Half and half. Cab is original. Brand new 2016 bed

MarkD51
04-24-2018, 06:04 AM
Surely not the cheapest option "initially", but would be the longest lasting IMO. To coat with a durable Coating. That you'll lock in all that hard work for a long time.

As you no doubt know, black will be one of those hard colors to keep looking nice in that with any wax-sealant things will start looking "grey" quite quickly and of course the easiest to show wash induced marring-swirling.

Largebore
04-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Surely not the cheapest option "initially", but would be the longest lasting IMO. To coat with a durable Coating. That you'll lock in all that hard work for a long time.

As you no doubt know, black will be one of those hard colors to keep looking nice in that with any wax-sealant things will start looking "grey" quite quickly and of course the easiest to show wash induced marring-swirling.

Ha Black I know about. Love it for about a day then hell to pay. Got rid of my black cars. But somehow adopted this truck !

Mike Phillips
04-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Here's a combo that I've been using....

Either Blackfire One Step topped with SONAX PNS

OR

Pinnacle Jewelling Wax topped with SONAX PNS

:)

Largebore
04-24-2018, 03:16 PM

OR

I will give those a shot next... As this is the first i have worked on the truck I will do a Menzerna ( of course all of the names have changed again ) Compound, then Intensive and then finish up with Micro or Nano or whatever i still have left. Will not do this to the new bed. Just go with one of the combos you have suggested.

Largebore
04-24-2018, 03:19 PM

OR

Ok, I give which Sonax product is PNS

Largebore
04-24-2018, 03:23 PM
agh Polymer Net Shield

pilotpip
04-24-2018, 03:32 PM
I've been using McKee's 360 in the spring on my F-150 crew cab that's blue jean metallic (just as bad as black) and Hi-Def sealant in the fall. Keeps it looking good. No way I'd do a 3 step on it. I don't have that kind of free time.

Largebore
04-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Mike confused a bit here.
You write that you like to stay within a family when you do a car as in stay within the same brand. So why would you break that philosophy by not going with a Sonax for the polish as well as the final protection