PDA

View Full Version : IPA primer before wax ?

Charlieboy1
04-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Hi people
does anyone here know if and ipa primer like carpro essence or gyeon primer can be used before wax
I know they work before coatings but just wondered if same applies with waxes
just thought would be easier to use that on softer paint finishes

would like to know peoples feedback

Many Thanks
Charlie

Paul A.
04-19-2018, 08:26 AM
I was reminded just this week of Mike Phillips idea of a "double wipe" of a paint prep product before applying an LSP. This technique is used whenever a polish or any other product is used to correct or refine the paint and you want to remove anything left behind. Now I will say we were going to be applying a paint coating but I believe it is a good practice before any LSP.

Basically you spray the paint liberally with a paint prep product. My personal favorite lately is CarPro Eraser. You spray it on until it just begins to run...again, liberally. Wipe it off with clean, low nap MF towels removing everything that may have been left behind. You then spray a squirt or two on another fresh towel and wipe dry again. This all but guarantees you've cleaned the paint of anything your previous steps may have left. It takes very little time to go over the paint and clean it one last time before applying the LSP.

FUNX650
04-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Only if the Waxes’ manufacturers should
specifically stipulate that their Wax(es)
must be applied to a “squeaky clean” surface,
would I ever even begin to consider using any
type of a panel-wipe to remove whatever remains
from the previous polishing processes.

After striving to make the paint as flawless
as I possible can...I certainly don’t like taking
any chances on being the one responsible for
the introduction, or reintroduction, of any form
of paint blemishes at this stage of the detail.

Bob

BadgerRivFan
04-19-2018, 09:30 AM
There is no reason that you can't use Gyeon Prep or Carpro Eraser before applying your wax, however it is not really necessary. If you are working on "soft" clearcoat, you may not want to do an additional step that could result in marring the paint before applying the LSP. Any residual polishing oils or polish residue left on the paint from the polishing step will not negatively affect a wax or paint sealant. If you are going to use a ceramic coating for your LSP, then yes an Eraser or Prep wipedown would be desired. For a wax or sealant LSP it is not necessary...

Mike Phillips
04-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Hi people
does anyone here know if and ipa primer like carpro essence or gyeon primer can be used before wax
I know they work before coatings but just wondered if same applies with waxes
just thought would be easier to use that on softer paint finishes

would like to know peoples feedback

Many Thanks
Charlie

There's no law or rule or regulation against it...

If you're applying a traditional wax or synthetic paint sealant to a modern basecoat/clearcoat paint system, then simply apply the product after either washing and drying or any compounding or polishing steps you perform.

:)

Audios S6
04-19-2018, 09:45 AM
I do not bother with any panel prep products prior to wax or sealant. I consider that to be more potential for introducing marring, and that is working backwards.

chet31
04-20-2018, 02:05 AM
Only if the Waxes’ manufacturers should
specifically stipulate that their Wax(es)
must be applied to a “squeaky clean” surface,
would I ever even begin to consider using any
type of a panel-wipe to remove whatever remains
from the previous polishing processes.

After striving to make the paint as flawless
as I possible can...I certainly don’t like taking
any chances on being the one responsible for
the introduction, or reintroduction, of any form
of paint blemishes at this stage of the detail.

Bob

Agreed. I am applying a high concentration of wax/sealant with a machine. I am overwhelming anything that may remain on the surface. No need for an additional cleaning step. I have a life to live and my car always seems to bead water.

Jon TDS
07-17-2018, 07:40 PM
There is no reason that you can't use Gyeon Prep or Carpro Eraser before applying your wax, however it is not really necessary. If you are working on "soft" clearcoat, you may not want to do an additional step that could result in marring the paint before applying the LSP. Any residual polishing oils or polish residue left on the paint from the polishing step will not negatively affect a wax or paint sealant. If you are going to use a ceramic coating for your LSP, then yes an Eraser or Prep wipedown would be desired. For a wax or sealant LSP it is not necessary...Is it just because of the bonding elements of a ceramic coating hence the IPA wipe down?

If so, in theory, there is a higher chance of marred paint for cars coated?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk