PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with ATV plastic?

FormerGMCdriver
04-18-2018, 02:35 PM
I recently bought a used quad (about 14 years old) and I know it will probably live a dirty life but I would still like to make it look good when it is clean. The plastic is faded in spots from where the sun hit it. Has anyone had dealt with this before? I am looking to bring the color back (it is a bright yellow) and am hoping someone can give me some suggestions.
I have read about people using a 50/50 mix of Boiled linseed oil & paint thinner but those looked like they were quite oxidized looking.
I have also seen videos of people using heat guns or a torch but I am hesitant about that course.
Any suggestions?
Thank You

SWETM
04-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Not have hands on experience with atv. But if I where to clean it up I would test a cleaner wax aio like HD Speed or BF One Step. Those often contains chemical cleaners and fine abrasives in them to clean the plastic up. If only used chemicals like you have heard the risk is that you dull the plastic. Maybe even something like Meguiars PlasticX would work. Start at a non visible spot and begin with the least aggressive setup.

One thing more is that plastic builds up heat fast. So low speed on the polisher and quite fast arm movement and a few more passes or do a section twice. And feel the surface so it's not gets to warm.

Mike Phillips
04-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Not much you can do for the type of plastic used for ATVs.

This recommendation is simple and will do a "little" and that's about all you can get out this type of plastic. It simply doesn't like to be abraded with the end results looking new again.

Not have hands on experience with atv. But if I where to clean it up I would test a cleaner wax aio like HD Speed or BF One Step. Those

I'd recommend using a foam pad on any kind of orbital you have, even a rotary would probably work, just don't heat it up.

This is one of those projects where more and more work doesn't equal better and better results. Just do "something" then stick a fork in it, call it done and go riding!

:)

hoyt66
04-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Not much you can do for the type of plastic used for ATVs.

This recommendation is simple and will do a "little" and that's about all you can get out this type of plastic. It simply doesn't like to be abraded with the end results looking new again.

I'd recommend using a foam pad on any kind of orbital you have, even a rotary would probably work, just don't heat it up.

This is one of those projects where more and more work doesn't equal better and better results. Just do "something" then stick a fork in it, call it done and go riding!

:)

HAHAHA For myself speaking from experience...So accurate

FormerGMCdriver
04-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Thanks everyone! I was hoping for a solution but maybe the best solution is to forget about it and go riding! If it is muddy it wont be noticeable!

JDGolden
04-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Meguiars cleaner wax has worked on my old machines. Believe it or not, pledge floor care (clear bottle with blue boots on it) adds a whole lot of shine. I applied it to a microfiber towel (wet, but not dripping) and wiped it in straight lines on the plastic. I then let it dry. It may have a somewhat tacky feel to it for about a week, but it does go away. The shine lasted a very long time. I wish I still had the pics, I did this to my old yellow LTZ 400. Nothing more than Meg's cleaner wax made my wife's old warrior look almost show room new.

As always, do a test spot. Post up your progress.

rockfish_24
04-19-2018, 08:35 PM
I use tire cleaner/shine foam on my ATV plastic. It darkens and shines all of the black and coloured plastic up real nice. I find it also hides the small scratches. I only use my ATV in the winter so dust collection is not an issue but I can see it maybe being a problem if I used it in the summer.