PDA

View Full Version : Fabric softener sheet in dryer

Dynoguy
04-18-2018, 09:51 AM
I was washing my microfiber towels and then dried them in the dryer, I found a fabric softener sheet in the dryer when I was pulling the towels out, what does fabric softener do to microfiber towels that makes us not want to use them when drying microfiber towels ?

dcjredline
04-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Go try to soak up some water with one that has been exposed to the dryer sheet and one that is the same and has not been exposed to it. Then you should see.

SWETM
04-18-2018, 10:43 AM
It's decrease the ability to hold water. Presoak the mf towel with a strong solution of APC and put it soaking wet in the washer. Use a microfiber wash detergent as useally. Then put white vinegar in the rinse cycle and maybe you can revive the mf towels.

DBAILEY
04-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Fabric softener is mainly a silicone that coats the fibers of your clothes to make them feel soft and smooth. So you coated your towels in that silicone.

Paul A.
04-18-2018, 03:46 PM
ANd if its any consolation, I am assuming the dryer sheet had been in there for a previous drying cycle and may have lost some of its "softener". You can try to decontaminate those towels with the above advice and if not they make great sill, engine, dirty area work towels now.

DaveT435
04-18-2018, 06:29 PM
I assume the sheet was left in there from a previous load so hopefully it was close to dead.

rangerbay
04-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Alcohol will remove most silicones. In building fishing rods, alcohol is used to remove silicone and epoxy from the rods, and off our hands, the table, the hair in your nose, etc. I would soak them in an alcohol solution for a while, rewash them in warm water with mild detergent or microfiber wash, and dry in a gentle cycle on low heat. That should help to renew them.

UncleDavy
04-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Another issue with fabric softener sheets is that it removes static from the microfiber. Static is a good thing in the microfiber world as it attracts dust.

chet31
04-20-2018, 02:12 AM
I've had an occasion or two when a dryer sheet was mixed with my MFs. My strategy was to continue to use the MFs as if nothing happened.

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2018, 05:51 AM
I've had an occasion or two when a dryer sheet was mixed with my MFs. My strategy was to continue to use the MFs as if nothing happened.

Yeah, I really don't think any extraordinary measures are required. Just use the towels, you'll probably be fine. Worst case is you have to wash them again, and check the dryer for sheets before you put them in.