PDA

View Full Version : 43 Years Amateur Experience

DOHCammer
04-16-2018, 08:23 PM
It was 1975, I was 15 and I had a 65 Galaxie. I quickly learned that the paint shined better when you buffed with a light compound (by hand) before laying down a layer of RainDance which was the latest, greatest at that time. That's when it started, this never ending quest to find the best products to make my life easier and to make my car look the best. I have the necessary equipment such as a Porter Cable 7424, many different grade pads and microfibers plus a good selection of polishes, various waxes and even some Klasse AIO and SG. I just bought a 2015 Toyota Avalon Touring SE in Attitude Black which has spurred my sudden interest in finding out what the latest, greatest polishes and sealants are. The paint is fair at best, many swirls and holograms. I take that as a personal challenge. This place is great, you can get lost in it for hours. I'll be lurking and learning but won't hesitate to chime in on something I have actual experience in.

PaulMys
04-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Welcome to AGO!!

Look forward to hearing your input/questions.

DaveT435
04-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Welcome to AG. I had a '64 Galaxie back in the day. 352 4-barrel. I think the care weighed about 2 tons and the trunk would sleep 6. I loved that car.

The new latest and greatest are ceramic coatings. They will last anywhere from two to seven or eight years. Good you're not asking about wax, that tends to attract dust and you definitely don't need that with a black car.

Where are you from??

LSNAutoDetailing
04-16-2018, 08:47 PM
It was 1975, I was 15 and I had a 65 Galaxie. I quickly learned that the paint shined better when you buffed with a light compound (by hand) before laying down a layer of RainDance which was the latest, greatest at that time. That's when it started, this never ending quest to find the best products to make my life easier and to make my car look the best. I have the necessary equipment such as a Porter Cable 7424, many different grade pads and microfibers plus a good selection of polishes, various waxes and even some Klasse AIO and SG. I just bought a 2015 Toyota Avalon Touring SE in Attitude Black which has spurred my sudden interest in finding out what the latest, greatest polishes and sealants are. The paint is fair at best, many swirls and holograms. I take that as a personal challenge. This place is great, you can get lost in it for hours. I'll be lurking and learning but won't hesitate to chime in on something I have actual experience in.

Welcome to the forum! The real question is, do you still have the 65 Galaxie? :)
Enjoy the forum, it's a lot of fun and good folks here.

UncleDavy
04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum fellow member of the over 50 crowd. Like you, my passion for shiny cars started when I was a kid in the 70s. We used sponges, terry cloth towels, DuPont No. 7 car wash, Kit paste wax and Rain Dance was a treat. Armor All was brand new and it was a big deal at the time. The products we used at that time make us shudder today.
I always said that detailing is evolutionary and not revolutionary. Tools and products are always evolving and improving. This forum helps to make sense of all the changes. As an amateur, it makes the hobby more enjoyable. As a professional, it makes the job easier and improves results.