PDA

View Full Version : First time Cquartz UK application. Feeling sticky

SArao
04-16-2018, 11:27 AM
I preppped a portion of my car. To get a hang of the coating. When I applied it, it was feeling very sticky. The applicator was sticking to the paint. I read in one of a thread that it does not need to flash before wiping. Wiping was easy. No stickiness in that.

Am I doing anything wrong?

JCDetails
04-16-2018, 11:31 AM
what's the temp and humidity like where you're applying?

SArao
04-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Temperature must have been around 30 degrees C. Humidity not sure. But must not be on higher side.

MarkD51
04-16-2018, 12:17 PM
That's what, 86 degrees F? Sort of high for CQUK

SArao
04-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Oh! Whats the ideal temerature then? Can i coat the car at night time?

Rsurfer
04-16-2018, 01:36 PM
I preppped a portion of my car. To get a hang of the coating. When I applied it, it was feeling very sticky. The applicator was sticking to the paint. I read in one of a thread that it does not need to flash before wiping. Wiping was easy. No stickiness in that.

Am I doing anything wrong?

What did you do to prep the paint?

SArao
04-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Washed the area. Used Meg Compound. Washed again. Used Carpro Essence. And then coating.

Rsurfer
04-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Washed the area. Used Meg Compound. Washed again. Used Carpro Essence. And then coating.

Your prep sounds ok. Maybe thinner coats. Sometimes I even get heavy handed which will cause the coating to get grabby.

SArao
04-16-2018, 02:32 PM
May be due to small area I poured kess cquk. Will check again when i will be sure about coatingthe whole car.

Ebg18t
04-16-2018, 02:41 PM
At that temp just do a small area. You need to work fast in the Warmer/humid temps. It will flash quick. CQ’UK’ was designed originally for cooler/damper climates like the ‘UK’. I used it on cars in Florida, but had to do little areas at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SArao
04-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Ok an update. I did my cars' roof. It took me 4 hours to complete. But the shine is looking just like mirror. I washed the car. When I closely inspected the roof, it was very hazy. In 7 years its the first time I polished the roof. ��

Used Meg UC then washed. Applied Essence. And finally coated. All looks fine But I have a question. I took a video yesterday when I did the fuel lid. Whats this oil like residue? This video i took after applying CQUK.

YouTube (https://youtu.be/V-PLab48lGQ)

SWETM
04-17-2018, 02:55 PM
After you polished with essence did you let it sit for 4 hours after wiped off? Or did you use a panel wipe product like carpro eraser if not letting it sit? What where you useing when washing between the Megs UC and essence? Here I would recommend to use eraser to get some of the polishing oils away. The rest is essence taking care of if you let it evaporate after wipe off for 4 hours and then apply the coating.

SArao
04-19-2018, 08:15 AM
I never read about it. I applied after wiping the essence. At the moment the roof looks good.

DTruck
04-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Ok an update. I did my cars' roof. It took me 4 hours to complete. But the shine is looking just like mirror. I washed the car. When I closely inspected the roof, it was very hazy. In 7 years its the first time I polished the roof. ��

Used Meg UC then washed. Applied Essence. And finally coated. All looks fine But I have a question. I took a video yesterday when I did the fuel lid. Whats this oil like residue? This video i took after applying CQUK.

YouTube (https://youtu.be/V-PLab48lGQ)

That's exactly what Duragloss 111 is like when I put it on too thick, and cool temps (40's F), and on a black metallic car like that. Looks like a coat of oil.
If I let it sit for a while, then come back to it with a clean microfiber, it wipes off clean.

SWETM
04-19-2018, 12:05 PM
I never read about it. I applied after wiping the essence. At the moment the roof looks good.

You could have a bonding problem due to go straight to coating. Depending what you used to wash with between UC and the essence it could helped and it could worsen the bonding. It's important to follow instructions when applying coatings as they need a clean surface to bond properly to. That's why you have the eraser or another panel wipe product or ipa to get it completly clean. Essence has sio2 in it and other chemicals that lets cquarts coatings to bond harder to extend the longevity of it.

What you see in the video is proberly the polishing oils that did not evaporate.

Do you polish with a polisher?