PDA

View Full Version : Did my first oil change today! Pics

Pages : [1] 2 3

fightnews
04-14-2018, 09:53 AM
I'm quite proud of myself. I'll be doing this from now on. This is also the first oil change on my new engine. The original got recalled at 62,000 miles.

https://image.ibb.co/e9KPNS/20180414_075404.jpg\

I bought the ramps and everything.

https://image.ibb.co/nJRAwn/20180414_080018.jpg

I'm so happy I don't have to deal with jiffy lube or the dealership and their cheap oil anymore.

Paul A.
04-14-2018, 10:02 AM
It's a great feeling doing it yourself at cost, isn't it? DAMN, look at that paint shine!

custmsprty
04-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Nice job. Did you rotate the tires? That should be done about every 7,500 miles or so.

Coleroad
04-14-2018, 11:39 AM
It's always nice to do things yourself. You know exactly what you are getting. Plus oil changes are so easy to do, and used oil can go right to autozone. The van is looking good too. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/6300a34489378ab6d49ed74ebc7ccb07.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WaxMaster1
04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Good job. Royal Purple is probably a bit overkill pricewise. My girlfriend has a Sorrento for a daily driver. I just grab a 5qt jug of Moibil1 at WalMart and it takes the whole thing when I change her oil and I find there's no real need for the Rhino Ramps. You can easily access the filter and drain plug just laying on the ground

PS: Yours looks better.

dlc95
04-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Nice!

I do my as much mechanic work as possible on my vehicles. I've had my car come back jacked up too many times from the local service station.

Sizzle Chest
04-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Good deal! It is a great feeling to know that you did it yourself! Well done!

Calendyr
04-14-2018, 10:09 PM
I was thinking of doing oil changes myself on my Kia Rio but after watching a video about it, there is a plastic shroud under the engine that needs to be removed to access the drain plug and oil filter. There are like 20 screws holding it in. The thought of having to deal with that lying on the ground made me decide to spend the extra 10$ and have my local garage do it ;) The one reason I wanted to do it myself is that as the control freak I am, I could choose the best oil filter and oil for my engine. I know the local garage is not gonna use an expensive filter and they are using Castrol oil that may or may not be good stuff... I wanted to go synthetic but it costs like 90$ so I decided against it since I put very little miles on the car and have to change the oil every 6 months anyway because of the warranty requirements.

custmsprty
04-14-2018, 10:18 PM
I was thinking of doing oil changes myself on my Kia Rio but after watching a video about it, there is a plastic shroud under the engine that needs to be removed to access the drain plug and oil filter. There are like 20 screws holding it in. The thought of having to deal with that lying on the ground made me decide to spend the extra 10$ and have my local garage do it ;) The one reason I wanted to do it myself is that as the control freak I am, I could choose the best oil filter and oil for my engine. I know the local garage is not gonna use an expensive filter and they are using Castrol oil that may or may not be good stuff... I wanted to go synthetic but it costs like 90$ so I decided against it since I put very little miles on the car and have to change the oil every 6 months anyway because of the warranty requirements.

Yeah, that can be a pain. For the record, Castol is a quality product, as are all modern motor oils, the rest is marketing hype. What kind of warranty do you have that says you have to change the oil every six months? What if a person drives 40,000 miles a year, I know many people who do. That would be an oil change every 20,000 miles. Oil changes should be based upon miles driven. If my GC is 6 years old but only has 10,400 miles on it how many times should I have changed the oil in 6 years? Answer twice.

How Long Does Your Oil Last In Your Car
The other nuance concerns how long your oil is good for in your engine - how long it "lasts" in your car. Again, this is situation-dependent, because driving conditions are the biggest determiner of how long oil lasts in your engine. That doesn’t mean you need to change your oil after 3000 miles on the clock. The best answer to this question is found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual. The most common answer to the oil change interval question is 7,000 miles. This goes down to 5,000 miles if you fall under the “severe driving conditions” – lot of short trips, very hot or very cold driving conditions, very dusty conditions. Your vehicle owner’s manual will give you the right answer to this question.

fightnews
04-15-2018, 05:03 AM
It's a great feeling doing it yourself at cost, isn't it? DAMN, look at that paint shine! Thanks man, feels good

Nice job. Did you rotate the tires? That should be done about every 7,500 miles or so. I didn't but the tires are pretty new. Less then 7500 I think, probably like 5000 miles on them. Do you just rotate all 4 tires? Next I'm going to do breaks and rotors

Good job. Royal Purple is probably a bit overkill pricewise. My girlfriend has a Sorrento for a daily driver. I just grab a 5qt jug of Moibil1 at WalMart and it takes the whole thing when I change her oil and I find there's no real need for the Rhino Ramps. You can easily access the filter and drain plug just laying on the ground

PS: Yours looks better. Thanks, I couldn't really fit under there plus I already had the creeper. The heavy duty ones were only 50 bucks. I could of got the next size down for 40. Watching a video I thought I was going to have to take the whole shroud off.

You should actually check that. I watched a video and thought mine had the same shroud. It does but there are access holes in mine that weren't in the video.

Calendyr
04-15-2018, 06:17 AM
Yeah, that can be a pain. For the record, Castol is a quality product, as are all modern motor oils, the rest is marketing hype. What kind of warranty do you have that says you have to change the oil every six months? What if a person drives 40,000 miles a year, I know many people who do. That would be an oil change every 20,000 miles. Oil changes should be based upon miles driven. If my GC is 6 years old but only has 10,400 miles on it how many times should I have changed the oil in 6 years? Answer twice.

The other nuance concerns how long your oil is good for in your engine - how long it "lasts" in your car. Again, this is situation-dependent, because driving conditions are the biggest determiner of how long oil lasts in your engine. That doesn’t mean you need to change your oil after 3000 miles on the clock. The best answer to this question is found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual. The most common answer to the oil change interval question is 7,000 miles. This goes down to 5,000 miles if you fall under the “severe driving conditions” – lot of short trips, very hot or very cold driving conditions, very dusty conditions. Your vehicle owner’s manual will give you the right answer to this question.

Good to know about the oil ;)

My owners manual states oil changes at specific milages or every 6 months, which ever is lower. I know many manufacturers now only ask for oil change every year as a minimum but for my car it's still 6 months ;( I am in severe driving conditions. But as I read the factors to determine what constitute severe, I think pretty much everyone would fall under that category.

fightnews
04-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Royal purple on their website recommends changing their oil every 12 months or 12000 miles. Whichever comes first. So if you were to use royal purple in your GC the answer to your question would be 6 times if you follow instructions.

Just want to point out that my engine was replaced on a recall a few months ago. They never gave me the specs for it. The only way I know it's 5 quarts or 5.25 is because that's what I took out. I have to call them to get the specs on this new engine. It's totally different then what I had. The oil filter is underneath the car instead of on top in the hood.

fightnews
04-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Good to know about the oil ;)

My owners manual states oil changes at specific milages or every 6 months, which ever is lower. I know many manufacturers now only ask for oil change every year as a minimum but for my car it's still 6 months ;( I am in severe driving conditions. But as I read the factors to determine what constitute severe, I think pretty much everyone would fall under that category.

You probably already know this but it also depends on what kind of oil you use. Obviously you can go much longer with full synthetic oils then you can with conventional.

Calendyr
04-15-2018, 08:03 AM
You probably already know this but it also depends on what kind of oil you use. Obviously you can go much longer with full synthetic oils then you can with conventional.

As far as I know, manufacturers don't care that you use synthetic or regular. The manual makes no distinction between the two. If you don't follow the maintenance schedule religiously, this is ground to void your warranty. So I would not be taking any chances with this while the car is under warranty (espacially to save 40$ per year for 5 years).

Once my garantee expires, I will very likelly switch to synthetic and replace the oil only based on the millage, not the time. I have a very hard time believing oil goes bad with time, especially synthetic one.

custmsprty
04-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Things must be different regarding warranties in Canada. We are'nt held to those type of standards. The dealership cannot force us to have our maintenance done there and there is no way for them to prove how often one changes their oil etc.