PDA

View Full Version : Is this clear coat burn or not

estcstm3
04-13-2018, 02:17 PM
I have this funny doll spot on the top of my side view mirrors for a year 2000 Honda S2000 almost as if it single stage paint and not clear coated. What do you all think this looks like it's hard to pick up in photos but definitely notice it in person

DaveT435
04-13-2018, 02:51 PM
I really can't tell by the pictures. Do you think you burned through the clear?? If you have a black or very dark microfiber or terry cloth put some polish on it and go over that spot and see if there is any color on the cloth. If there is you burned through, if not you're good.

Rsurfer
04-13-2018, 03:13 PM
If it's pure white, it's single stage.

estcstm3
04-13-2018, 05:56 PM
If it's pure white, it's single stage. it's silverstone.

Rsurfer
04-13-2018, 06:29 PM
it's silverstone.

Can't tell by the pictures. When was it last buffed and with what.

Mike Phillips
04-13-2018, 06:40 PM
If you have a black or very dark microfiber or terry cloth put some polish on it and go over that spot and see if there is any color on the cloth.

If there is you burned through, if not you're good.

:whs:

Rubbing polish over clear paint shows nothing.

Rubbing polish over the base coat, (if there's burn through), will show the color of the paint.

For testing white paint you kind of need a dark cloth and a dark polish, but. you should be able to see the silver color with a white cloth and a white polish.

Basecoat is naturally dull.

:)

estcstm3
04-13-2018, 09:12 PM
:whs:

Rubbing polish over clear paint shows nothing.

Rubbing polish over the base coat, (if there's burn through), will show the color of the paint.

For testing white paint you kind of need a dark cloth and a dark polish, but. you should be able to see the silver color with a white cloth and a white polish.

Basecoat is naturally dull.

:)

Thanks all.....it was basecoat. Since this is a metallic silver i used a white microfiber with some duragloss precleaner and its started turning black, and only from that spot.

Its an 18 year old car and from what i have read on the s2000 forums not uncommon. I think ill check ebay for a replacement. Any product for the hobbist that can help bring back the shine? I have polished and waxed over but its still dull compared to the rest of the mirror.