PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me a metal polish

Pages : [1] 2

asianisafish
04-12-2018, 04:06 PM
So I have some weds kranze wheels with polished lips.
I need help picking some metal polishes.
So far to keep them maintained I use blue magic metal polish over mothers mag and alum. Because the residue whipeoff is much easier. I'm talking a million times easier.
But for the final show polish, I use mothers billet polish which really turns it into a mirror finish.
But the mothers billet polish is kind of getting costly. I have 5.5inch and 4.5 lips on 19s and the little bottle of mothers billet polish runs out faster than I'd like.

Any other metal polish that finishes off similarly to mothers billet polish that comes in s bigger container or cheaper?

mwoywod
04-12-2018, 04:21 PM
HD Metal finishes amazing and is the easiest metal polish to wipe off that I've used. Better finish than Optimum Metal Polish but optimum is a bit more aggressive and also leaves behind protection. FYI, Both of these metal polishes are EXTREMELY runny/watery formulations which you may not like.

I've heard lots of great feedback on Mckee's 37 Fast metal polish. It has more of a lotion consistency which likely makes it easier to work with.

asianisafish
04-12-2018, 04:27 PM
HD Metal finishes amazing and is the easiest metal polish to wipe off that I've used. Better finish than Optimum Metal Polish but optimum is a bit more aggressive and also leaves behind protection. FYI, Both of these metal polishes are EXTREMELY runny/watery formulations which you may not like.

I've heard lots of great feedback on Mckee's 37 Fast metal polish. It has more of a lotion consistency which likely makes it easier to work with.

How does it finish? Does it finish similarly to mothers billet polish? That's the kind of finish I'm looking for in a metal polish right now.

I've tried lots of other polishes but they all leave the aluminum hazy or cloudy.
Consistency of the polish is a non issue for me as long as it's easy to wipe off.

I'll look into HD metal though

Eldorado2k
04-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Any pics of the wheels? Interested to see what they look like.

asianisafish
04-12-2018, 10:02 PM
They are weds kranze Cerberus ii
Idk how to really upload pics yet but I think I did it right
http://i67.tinypic.com/2lt4v3d.jpg

That currently is the finish with blue magic metal polish cream. That's how I usually have the finish. But when I want the extra bling bling I use mothers billet polish which makes it even more reflective

Eldorado2k
04-12-2018, 10:19 PM
They are weds kranze Cerberus ii
Idk how to really upload pics yet but I think I did it right
http://i67.tinypic.com/2lt4v3d.jpg

That currently is the finish with blue magic metal polish cream. That's how I usually have the finish. But when I want the extra bling bling I use mothers billet polish which makes it even more reflective

You say the removal causes the biggest issue as far as the Mothers? What exactly happens? Is it just an excess of black residue to wipe off? Or inability to finish off without a haze?

How do you apply the Mothers Billet? I’ve heard the best results are achieved by applying it by hand and gently wiping if off with a soft microfiber? Is that true? Or is it more forgiving than they make it sound?

asianisafish
04-12-2018, 10:35 PM
I've used microfiber towels, microfiber applicators, 3inch foam pads of various "cut" by hand and machine. And even used the mothers power cone.
Blue magic metal polish cream(has an ammonia smell but only if shove it in your face lol) and mother mag and alum polish have no difference in finish as far as I can tell. But the blue magic allows easier removal and uses less product imo.
It is extremely easy to wipe off the black residue compared to mothers.
Mothers tends to dry almost like m105 where you have to work a bit to buff off the residue, which for me, causes me too leave some towel marks on soft aluminum

I've used mothers billet by working it in with a glove. This produces an extremely finished off aluminum. It also wastes no product as it isn't absorbed into whatever you applying it with. But I prefer to work it in with a good old costco microfiber towel because it adds a slight amount of cut that makes removing the haze left over from the previous polish easier than doing it with just a glove.
It still produces the same shine in my eyes as if working with a nitrile glove.
I wipe it off using a costco towel no problem

Eldorado2k
04-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Well I’ve had the best results with the Britemax Final Shine Metal Polish & Sealant. Leaves a mirror shine and even cuts through any oxidation at an impressive rate considering it’s a final polish. The built in sealant also protects pretty good.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/c9c07f2df62e6d6c66e8f3c7fa9dabd7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/dc7834c45475127e291e6d28ae59490b.jpg

asianisafish
04-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the product idea. I'll definitely look into it.

Eldorado2k
04-13-2018, 01:07 AM
These were my results by hand the 1st time I used it. It did this with relative ease when the Meguiars Hot Rims Metal Polish couldn’t even touch it.

Before:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/43be363a185ed22a526dee0e6f888005.jpg

After:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/5182223a1698ed25c25260e246946bd0.jpg

Desertnate
04-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Mothers tends to dry almost like m105 where you have to work a bit to buff off the residue, which for me, causes me too leave some towel marks on soft aluminum

What is the consistency of the Mother's Billet polish? I've used their Mag and Aluminum polish on my exhaust tips for quite some time, and I couldn't imagine ever being able to work it long enough to where it would be hard to buff off. Could you simply be working the product too long which causes it to dry out and become hard to remove?

asianisafish
04-13-2018, 08:58 AM
They are similar in consistency. Billet polish is more white in color. I don't really work it too long I think. If I don't work it enough it just smears around but if I go too long it leaves traces of residue that's hard to buff off aluminum easily and then you'll get towel marks.
Billet polish really adds another look of shine on aluminum but I can't speak for how it works on stainless steel exhaust tips.
My problem is that it's $15+ for a little container. I'll end up using almost half the container if I do my set of wheels for a car show unfortunately. That's the biggest turn off for me

JCDetails
04-13-2018, 09:05 AM
I use Mother's Chrome Polish right now but will be looking to use something else pretty soon. It works really well for the wheels and running boards on my Denali.

I've heard good things about Zephyr, but haven't tried it myself. I'm going to be doing some deeper research into this as I'm planning to restore the aluminum and diamond plate on a couple of the trucks at my Fire Department.

asianisafish
04-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Maybe I'll do a 50/50 comparison of all the different metal polishes I have used to really show what they do. I'm still trying to find a replacement for mothers billet, but I don't think I've found anything so far. They claim no abrasives in it I think and it is for final polish only, no cut or whatever

JustJesus
04-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Here's a video of HD Metal. You can see what it's like to work with this liquid, runny, polish. How little is used, and results achieved.

If you're interested, PM me your address, and I'll send you a sample bottle.

https://youtu.be/rFqx8bQq-eA