PDA

View Full Version : Detailing an H2 Hummer?

Eldorado2k
04-11-2018, 01:33 AM
Looking to hear from people who’ve detailed an H2 Hummer. My main questions are:

How bad is the plastic trim on these vehicles? My gut tells me it’s a possible nightmare to properly restore? What methods work best? Or what would you use?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180411/8ff76d673d310f549c0ea7b017cd023a.jpg

As a whole, how big of a PITA are these vehicles to detail inside and out? Is it as bad as it seems?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180411/1392ead0daa3be11186f417c9fb5fb55.jpg

Mike Phillips
04-11-2018, 06:30 AM
I've never detailed a Hummer.

The few times I've had the opportunity I've turned it down. A whole lot of work.

I was asked once to do the wetsand, cut and buff on a Hummer that belong to some famous MMA Fighter. His image was painted on the both sides and then cleared over. I politely turned that job down. With all the raised body lines and long thin panels, it would be a nightmare to sand and buff and then cross your fingers and hope you never burned through somewhere.

I'd say go for it for the experience but charge by the hour. Then under promise and over deliver.

:)

minerigger
04-11-2018, 09:37 AM
I'd probably use solution finish, then wets and clean it with some apc prior. Then it's just a normal vehicle...id be more nervous on a fancy car than that hog. I bet there are rock chips everywhere around the fender edges and bottom of body, especially if it's a daily

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JCDetails
04-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Years back when I was first starting as a summer job (lots of years...9 or so) I took on my uncle's double black H2 SUT (with the truck bed) which he had used as a plow truck one year, that he would also bring his black lab in with him to go plowing. I figured I'd do him a favor and only charged him $150. At the time I was only charging $75 for a typical sedan, so I thought I'd make out pretty well.

9 hours, 2 bottles of tire shine and more pet hair removal than I care to remember, I was cursing that damn truck. Leaves wedged in all the trim and corners, just hell. No paint correction, just a pretty standard in & out with wax.

And that wasn't even dealing with the plastic trim. I do believe those came with gray trim from the factory though, not black so be careful if you do go to use solution finish on it.

Other than that, pack a lunch and a few gatorades, because you'll be in it for a while.

minerigger
04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Solution finish I believe comes in grey and black

JCDetails
04-11-2018, 02:45 PM

right, that's what I was saying. I was pretty sure they had gray trim so don't make the mistake of ordering the black kit from them.

Eldorado2k
04-11-2018, 10:23 PM
I've never detailed a Hummer.

The few times I've had the opportunity I've turned it down. A whole lot of work.

I'd say go for it for the experience but charge by the hour. Then under promise and over deliver.

:)

Yea, I’m not usually this hesitant to detail anything but this Hummer made me stop and think about it... I’d be less hesitant to commit to an RV than I am to this Hummer. Lol. But then again I’m not polishing the RV, whereas I would be polishing this Hummer.

I'd probably use solution finish, then wets and clean it with some apc prior. Then it's just a normal vehicle...id be more nervous on a fancy car than that hog. I bet there are rock chips everywhere around the fender edges and bottom of body, especially if it's a daily

This is anything but a normL vehicle.
1. Whole lot of plastic trim and trim tends to be a mystery bag in it of itself.
2. That roof. It’s large + there’s a rack up there which will need attention.
3. The rear door. It’s most likely going to be a PITA to work around the 5th wheel and all the intricate areas around it.
4. It’s huge.
5. Large wheels, tires, & wheel wells and they’ll take up some time and must be perfectly detailed.
6. I haven’t even seen the interior yet. 1 things for sure, there’s alot of space to cover inside too.
7. Oddly shaped areas to polish. You see those 3 lights at the top of the rear of the vehicle? Just 1 of the problem areas I’ll have to polish around. I’ve polished a Jeep Wrangler before, but I’d be willing to bet this vehicle is way more of a problem with the intricate areas than a Jeep.

Years back when I was first starting as a summer job (lots of years...9 or so) I took on my uncle's double black H2 SUT (with the truck bed) which he had used as a plow truck one year, that he would also bring his black lab in with him to go plowing. I figured I'd do him a favor and only charged him $150. At the time I was only charging $75 for a typical sedan, so I thought I'd make out pretty well.

9 hours, 2 bottles of tire shine and more pet hair removal than I care to remember, I was cursing that damn truck. Leaves wedged in all the trim and corners, just hell. No paint correction, just a pretty standard in & out with wax.

And that wasn't even dealing with the plastic trim. I do believe those came with gray trim from the factory though, not black so be careful if you do go to use solution finish on it.

Other than that, pack a lunch and a few gatorades, because you'll be in it for a while.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you remember if the trim is textured or smooth? I’m guessing it’s textured? I’m thinking about using a heat gun to restore it? But I’d have to pick 1 up because I don’t have 1. Or I think I can borrow it from my cousin.

right, that's what I was saying. I was pretty sure they had gray trim so don't make the mistake of ordering the black kit from them.

No worries, I have a bottle of the Gray Solution Finish.[emoji1419]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180412/25601919be72788d9b9c14ec412dc66e.jpg

Thanks for the replies.[emoji1417]

TMQ
04-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Never again...

When I worked at a body shop---The Boss had a bright red Hummer. Had to wash that thing every 2 weeks! It's a hog and it took forever to just wash the thing.

Tom

Eldorado2k
04-11-2018, 10:47 PM
Never again...

When I worked at a body shop---The Boss had a bright red Hummer. Had to wash that thing every 2 weeks! It's a hog and it took forever to just wash the thing.

Tom

Oh man... I’m like 50/50 about this right now. Part of me digs the challenge it would bring and the other half already knows it has the potential to be a complete nightmare. Lol.

Speaking of hogs that take forever to wash... I’ve tentatively agreed to maintain this Denali that I detailed this past weekend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180412/ac10d65d265851f1a24d3530597c5a2c.jpg

Interior, not as crazy as I imagined. No no big deal.
Exterior, hmm not extreme but it’s definitely pushing it...
The part where I finally noticed how huge and time consuming this truck was to wash happened when it came time to fully dry it. Grab your Metro Sidekick and get ready for a crazy long version of the nooks & crannies. Seams & drips everywhere. And it’s got the craziest honeycomb grill ever conceived. It’s huge!

But part of me gets a certain satisfaction about the thought of maintaining a brand new black vehicle with perfect swirl free paint. I’m gonna get my moneys worth, that’s for sure.[emoji6]

TMQ
04-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Oh my...speaking of the devil---I have a Denali coming my way next week!!

But---since doing the Silverado 2500, everything should feel like small beans, I hope!

Tom

TMQ
04-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Oh man... I’m like 50/50 about this right now. Part of me digs the challenge it would bring and the other half already knows it has the potential to be a complete nightmare. Lol.

Speaking of hogs that take forever to wash... I’ve tentatively agreed to maintain this Denali that I detailed this past weekend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180412/ac10d65d265851f1a24d3530597c5a2c.jpg

Interior, not as crazy as I imagined. No no big deal.
Exterior, hmm not extreme but it’s definitely pushing it...
The part where I finally noticed how huge and time consuming this truck was to wash happened when it came time to fully dry it. Grab your Metro Sidekick and get ready for a crazy long version of the nooks & crannies. Seams & drips everywhere. And it’s got the craziest honeycomb grill ever conceived. It’s huge!

But part of me gets a certain satisfaction about the thought of maintaining a brand new black vehicle with perfect swirl free paint. I’m gonna get my moneys worth, that’s for sure.[emoji6]

Hummm, I think you'll be ok since you enjoy challenges. It'll only hurt you one time or it may turn out fine. Either way---it's money in the pocket.

Tom

Desertnate
04-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I've owned black or dark colored cars for a while know and that doesn't scare me. The first thing I think of when I see that vehicle is the massive amount of real estate that must be detailed and how much I'd hate trying to work on the roof!

Eldorado2k
04-12-2018, 10:51 PM
As Al Bundy would say... “Lets Rock”[emoji57]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180413/4ac57909c63c76c4535071a5a02182e7.jpg