PDA

View Full Version : Question about finishing polish

nicks75
04-10-2018, 09:02 PM
I'm going to detail my car soon and am in the process of buying a few things I don't have. I am going to be using a da polisher, my car hasn't been washed since last summer so I'm expecting the paint to be not in the best shape. Of course I'll be prepping the paint with a good wash and clay bar. I'm looking into picking up a bottle of meguiars m205 to get the paint looking as good as possible before waxing, I'm curious though, assuming I don't need a more aggressive polish such as m105, will the m205 be as good as it can get prior to waxing?

Btw my car is a metallic grey, I will be using pinnacle souveran wax I have from last year, I also have a bottle of pinnacle painwork cleansing lotion. Will it benefit at all using the PLC after using the m205 or would that be a waste of time? Any other suggestions on using different products would be appreciated also.

Buster906
04-10-2018, 09:07 PM
M205 is good however the dust produced by M205 is not fun to remove. Have you researched HD SPEED?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
04-10-2018, 09:16 PM
I’ve never had a problem with M205 dusting. I think your plan sounds good. If anything, you might want to consider an iron remover prior to the claybar step.

nicks75
04-10-2018, 09:27 PM
M205 is good however the dust produced by M205 is not fun to remove. Have you researched HD SPEED?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Buster906
04-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Your welcome

nicks75
04-10-2018, 09:31 PM
I’ve never had a problem with M205 dusting. I think your plan sounds good. If anything, you might want to consider an iron remover prior to the claybar step.

I've seen on ytube vid's it is best to use a moist microfiber for the initial wipe to make it easier to remove.

I've never used an iron remover but I'll look into it, I always assumed a clay bar was all that was needed. Thanks for the suggestion.

JCDetails
04-10-2018, 09:46 PM
M205 can dust in warmer conditions if worked too long. But it’s definitely rare. Then again I rarely use 205 anymore though I probably should reach for it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dlc95
04-11-2018, 08:54 AM

That is a cleaner wax, not a finishing polish.

Buster906
04-11-2018, 08:56 AM
You are correct. Been awhile since I used my Mckees jeweling polish

dlc95
04-11-2018, 08:58 AM

I've had M205 dust when I over worked it, in hot temps, on hit surfaces.

Overall It's one of the easiest polishes to work with.

One strange thing over the weekend though. I did a new Dodge Ram, and while doing the test spots, it got weird when using a microfiber pad. It was tough to remove, but with foam it was like removing a finishing wax - super easy... Go figure.

JCDetails
04-11-2018, 09:07 AM
That is a cleaner wax, not a finishing polish.

I would disagree. Speed does have abrasive in it, albeit very little. With the right pad, just like M37 360 or Menz 3-in-1, Jescar AIO etc. it does have limited correcting ability. I could certainly see a case for using a heavier cutting product as a first stage and then refining/protecting all in one shot with an AIO as a final product.

Desertnate
04-11-2018, 10:04 AM
The fact Speed also and LSP built in makes it a cleaner wax, a.k.a. AIO. The definition of those products, as I understand it, is a product with both abrasives and a sealant/wax.

JCDetails
04-11-2018, 10:06 AM
The fact Speed also and LSP built in makes it a cleaner wax, a.k.a. AIO. The definition of those products, as I understand it, is a product with both abrasives and a sealant/wax.

See I thought cleaner waxes had chemical paint cleaners but not necessarily abrasives...maybe that's just my lack of understanding.

The definition on the AG website says:

All-in-one (AIO): [noun] a product that contains cleaners and/or abrasives plus a protective agent such as wax. An AIO combines the polishing and waxing steps of the detailing process.

So i guess by that rule Speed/360 etc could be considered cleaner waxes or cleaner sealants.

Desertnate
04-11-2018, 10:48 AM
See I thought cleaner waxes had chemical paint cleaners but not necessarily abrasives...maybe that's just my lack of understanding.

The definition on the AG website says:

So i guess by that rule Speed/360 etc could be considered cleaner waxes or cleaner sealants.

Things get confusing when looking at products The PBL Surface Cleaning Polish and some of the other primer/polish/paint cleaners on the market which are used for prepping a surface for a coating. Those products often have no abrasives and appear to be designed as a way of machine cleaning the surface prior to applying a coating. Their names are all over the map just to keep everyone guessing as to their true make-up and purpose.