PDA

View Full Version : Essence Plus - top it or leave it alone

Pages : [1] 2

Whitewater25
04-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Would you top essence plus or not. If yes,with what?

The Guz
04-07-2018, 01:35 AM
It is completely up to you. Reload or any other type of silica spray sealant would go good with it.

fightnews
04-07-2018, 04:33 AM
I would. But supposedly if you use it, it does not take off any underlying coating correct?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-07-2018, 08:11 AM
I would.

Reload is what I would cover it with.

spazzz
04-07-2018, 09:20 AM
I would. But supposedly if you use it, it does not take off any underlying coating correct?

I had someone rub a spot on my black, Gloss Coated, rear quarter panel when the car was dirty.

I thought I would use the miracle of Essence Plus to treat just the spot. Of course I did the whole quarter panel for an experiment. I worked the 8" x 4" dumb touch spot with essence plus and the car pro gloss pad.

I guess it looked alright after, not 100 percent, maybe 50. It did however tear through my Gloss Coat. This was evidenced later after not washing when it rained. I had a flat no protection spot right there.

So if you use it, treat it like you are ready to burn through.

RippyD
04-07-2018, 10:56 AM
I had someone rub a spot on my black, Gloss Coated, rear quarter panel when the car was dirty.

I thought I would use the miracle of Essence Plus to treat just the spot. Of course I did the whole quarter panel for an experiment. I worked the 8" x 4" dumb touch spot with essence plus and the car pro gloss pad.

I guess it looked alright after, not 100 percent, maybe 50. It did however tear through my Gloss Coat. This was evidenced later after not washing when it rained. I had a flat no protection spot right there.

Did it go through the coating or just cover it? Not sure how you would know the difference.

Ronin47
04-07-2018, 11:18 AM
I know cleaner waxes by hand can remove coatings but Essence Plus having no cleaners or abrasives and being meant to repair coatings removing a coating?

The Guz
04-07-2018, 11:55 AM

I don't see how this is possible as Essence Plus has no abrasives in it. It either masked the properties or the pad it was used with had some sort of cut to it. What pad did you use with it?

mwoywod
04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't see how this is possible as Essence Plus has no abrasives in it. It either masked the properties or the pad it was used with had some sort of cut to it. What pad did you use with it?

he used the carpro gloss pad

The Guz
04-07-2018, 12:17 PM
he used the carpro gloss pad

Thanks I missed that. Then for sure it rules out the pad. I suspect it was just the change in hydrophobic properties from Essence Plus.

SWETM
04-07-2018, 12:27 PM

How did you prep the panel before applying essence plus?
Can it be that gloss coat don't use the same si chemistry. So it became some sort of bonding issue.

To the OP treat it like a you did before. It's the same as sio2 as in cquartz coatings.

spazzz
04-07-2018, 12:41 PM
How did you prep the panel before applying essence plus?
Can it be that gloss coat don't use the same si chemistry. So it became some sort of bonding issue.

To the OP treat it like a you did before. It's the same as sio2 as in cquartz coatings.

I washed and dried the car and fixed the spot.

I didn't notice the spot being any different until I took a break from washing for a month or so.

It acted like there was nothing on the paint during a drizzle rain. The surrounding area with essence plus acted sealed.

It makes a good 2-3 month sealant, I will admit, but didn't exactly fix the swirls as I expected.
It's one of those try it to find out things. If and when I switch from Optimum to Car Pro it is one product I wont bother with, for any reason.

It was an experiment knowing I should have just Hyper Polished and recoated.

Rsurfer
04-07-2018, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=spazzz;1567205]
It makes a good 2-3 month sealant, I will admit, but didn't exactly fix the swirls as I expected.

Essence Plus was not made to remove swirls, it has no abrasives to do so. It has some durable resins that can hide miro marring, but not meant to remove swirls.

SWETM
04-07-2018, 02:07 PM
I washed and dried the car and fixed the spot.

I didn't notice the spot being any different until I took a break from washing for a month or so.

It acted like there was nothing on the paint during a drizzle rain. The surrounding area with essence plus acted sealed.

It's one of those try it to find out things. If and when I switch from Optimum to Car Pro it is one product I wont bother with, for any reason.

It was an experiment knowing I should have just Hyper Polished and recoated.

I would believe that the essence plus did not bond properly to not being preped. It's recommended to wash with reset and to decon the paint before with ironx and Spotless and tarx if needed. Then wipe down with eraser. It's almost like applying a new coating layer. And some minor swirls can be fixed. The claimed longevity is up to a year but that we all know how that is sometimes.

I think that a recoat is more effective to the area or hold it up with some topper. But the extent of the swirls you got maybe the essence plus was not enough. I have seen some trying to use a more coarse pad with essence plus to get more correction. The downside is the longevity decrease.

spazzz
04-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Well fix in my brain meant the way it is marketed, pretty much what Rsurfer said.

It didn't remove dirt rub with finger tip swirls completely. I could try it again with my new snow brush swirls but why bother diddling.

I will Gloss Coat it again in the next month or so and correct 2 years of swirls.