PDA

View Full Version : Rain x or expel

sito
04-05-2018, 05:18 AM
Which brand is better for windshield coating?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Belair
04-05-2018, 08:13 AM
I don't know if I'd call it a coating but RainX works well for me. But, we don't get much rain here in the high country.

luckydawg
04-05-2018, 08:41 AM
I got absolutely ZERO rain repellant action with expel

MarkD51
04-05-2018, 10:35 AM
I tried Expel on a whim a couple times. It's fairly expensive IMO per application, and one applicator does not go far. On my little beater 2001 Kia Spectra that I once owned, I was lucky to get just the windshield coated and the front side windows partially coated with what little "vapors" there was left.

You have to work at breakneck speed to apply Expel, and since is seems sort of "thick", one has to again work quickly to smooth level and eliminate streaks.

As far as longevity, I noted no greater longevity than Rain-X, and no matter what I did as prior prep, I won't be ever purchasing it again.

Rain-X, inexpensive per application, no crazy prep prior to use, just clean windows first, apply either directly to glass and spread and massage in like a wax, or spray upon a folded piece of paper towel to apply. The latter method will insure you don't get overspray spatter onto the paint, or other areas of the car.

Plenty of time to work with Rain-X. After application, let sit to dry about 10 minutes, first use a water dampened clean towel to buff and remove the majority of hazing, the take a clean dry MF Towel to finish polish all outer glass.

parttimer
04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
I've used both as well as car pro and IGL window coatings. I have IGL right now but keep Rain-X around for people that i do quick details for. I might be lazy or who knows but I spray the windshield with rain-x before washing, then wash the car, no after buffing.

fightnews
04-05-2018, 11:16 AM
I just use glass cleaner with rain repellant. It's easy and works well

MarkD51
04-05-2018, 12:00 PM
I should've mentioned that I have read there are some who like Expel, and have gotten good longevity, so your mileage might vary compared to my personal findings.

damaged442
04-05-2018, 12:59 PM
FWIW, I go Rain-X because it's easy, it's inexpensive, it works, and the longevity is OK. I use it routinely on 4 cars and two boats.

TTQ B4U
04-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Niether. McKee's Glass Coating is better than both for sure, stupid simple to apply and lasts for a while. Key is in the prep. My process is to use denatured alcohol to strip the windshield of all gunk and residues. I do this just before I wash the car. Get out nano sponge and clay it. Rinse, and when you are all dried up and ready to go, apply the coating.

Another great product that I use is Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass. Works great as well. If you've not used this on the windows in your home, you need to as it really helps keep them cleaner longer. Great for the car though. I use it on my customers cars if they don't upgrade and pay for a coating.

DTruck
04-05-2018, 03:39 PM
The issue I have with RainX is that it leaves white streaks up over the roof after it rains.

UncleDavy
04-07-2018, 07:25 AM
I use the RainX glass cleaner with repellent on my company car with great results. I usually treat the window once a week because I drive about 1000 miles a week. Depending on the weather, the hydrophobicity will last one month if I forget treatments. With the Rainx I do notice a slight smear and haze at night time after a pass of the windshield wiper.
I tried Aquapel on the wife's car and the results were better. The application was 2 months ago and after many washes and cleanings, the hydrophobicity is still there. There are no smears with the windshield wiper at night. The Aquapel is more difficult to work with. Make sure that the glass is clean before you apply the product and you have to work fast when you do apply it. The instructions suggest removing the product with a paper towel but don't do it. Use a cheap microfiber that you can throw away afterwards.

OMGClayAiken
04-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Which brand is better for windshield coating?

Sent from my F3213 using TapatalkRainx in my experience works nice for about a week and then degrades and is mostly gone. In fact, I used to drive from Portland to Seattle from time to time and I found it wouldn't even last the full trip up there. I don't use it anymore.
Aquapel on the other hand is excellent. I can get nearly 6 months from one application. It is more expensive, takes much longer to buff off, but it's well worth it. And I do follow the directions and buff with paper towels with great results. You just have to keep buffing down until there is no residue remaining, switching to new towels periodically. I also make sure to clay the glass before application. Give it a shot - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hollerstiltner
04-07-2018, 04:17 PM
I’ve used rain-x, pinnacle black label glass coating, and aquapel.

Aquapel is my personal favorite. It usually lasts me 6months or a bit better. It’s downfall is that you can’t do much more than the front windshield with one applicator.

The black label has been demoted to side windows. I was never able to get any meaningful durability from it. 3 months was about it no matter what prep I did.

Rainx is a decent product but i seemed to get too much streaking/smearing at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SANTA3013
04-07-2018, 05:58 PM
I use RainX on my windshield and RainX additive to my windshield washer bottle.