PDA

View Full Version : Wax on wax off

Pages : [1] 2

Eric Manning
04-02-2018, 09:33 PM
This is my first post here I really hope someone can guide me in the right direction, I’ve searched YouTube (probably not using the right words) and can’t find anyone addressing the issue I’m having. So,,, I just bought my dream car, after owning several mustangs and a couple years of searching I now have a 2012 Shelby GT500 with only 5450 miles on it ,,I’m trying to get the wax off the edges of the mat black vinyl stripes I was able to get the surface of the stripes completely clean but I’m afraid to try anything without seeking some advice for fear I will damage the vinyl and/or the Adhesive.
Thanks Eric Manning
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://1c679714-810c-41b0-b747-13325b187a09/imagepng

WaxMaster1
04-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Hey Eric, Welcome to the forum. As a GT350 owner, this is how I tackled the stripe situation.

DTruck
04-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Lol. Very helpful suggestion!

You can try some clay, but a little Dawn should clean you right up.
Congrats on the GT500!

luckydawg
04-02-2018, 09:53 PM
have you tried a medium to hard tooth brush with some APC ??

Eldorado2k
04-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Use a detailing brush like this 1 w/some detail spray or diluted APC and gently agitate along the edges and it should come clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180403/73e59348988c9d8359be33a33d3b0eee.jpg

If for some reason that doesn’t work [I can’t imagine it wouldn’t] you can try using a bamboo skewer, but you better be careful.

Eldorado2k
04-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Lol. Very helpful suggestion!

You can try some clay, but a little Dawn should clean you right up.
Congrats on the GT500!

Clay tends to get stuck inside tiny cracks & crevices, so it would more than likely add to the problem.

MarkD51
04-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!

You might get many suggestions from some of the members here. Some may be sound methods of cleaning, but here's my take.

That this has been the bane of many wipe on wipe off waxes and sealants for donkey's years. How to then get to residues out of the cracks, crevices, around and within Badges, Seams, etc.

I know well from experience that any sort of physical rubbing, or the use of tools like Detailing Brushes, Toothbrushes, or harsh cleaners and scrubs will more than likely cause marring, scratching of the paint and damage to the Decals as well.

That leaves another method then, some other form of chemical removal. But what?

The theme will be to use something as gentle as possible, and to use gentle physical means.

Now some might say a prep cleaning agent, maybe something like Carpro Eraser, which is a gentle diluted Alcohol base cleaner used to prep surfaces prior to applying Ceramic Coatings. This might work without causing any damage to paint or decals.

What I myself might be more inclined to try, would be what we folks here call a WOWA Sealant (Wipe On Walk Away). These products are generally crystal clear fluids which contain polymers, but contain no abrasives or detergent cleaners, they leave basically no residues behind after use. I've come to love many of these types of products for their ease of use in areas where the wipe on wipe off products prove problematic, like Door Jambs, Trunk and inside Hood detailing, and any other areas that might prove difficult with cruds left behind.

I am maybe thinking to perhaps use with a new small applicator pad, either Microfiber, or Foam, and to let the carrier solvents in these relatively safe to decals products gently dissolve and remove these residues you experience.

I myself would rather try this first, than go to a more harsher method or product.

Such products I might suggest would be Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Optimum Opti-Seal. There's probably some others I'm forgetting.

If I'm wrong with such suggestions, then other members please correct me.
For sure, these two I mention above will not scratch or damage the paint or decals.

DETAILROOKIE
04-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Clay tends to get stuck inside tiny cracks & crevices, so it would more than likely add to the problem.I've had luck with the Mother's Speedclay. Helped me take off wax and latex paint on a customer's truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

2black1s
04-03-2018, 01:35 AM
A toothpick works great for getting old dried wax from the edges of stripes or other decal/films... And it won't cause scratches and/or marring to the surrounding paint like a brush will.

FUNX650
04-03-2018, 12:02 PM
•I like using “Dried-on Wax Removers”;
-the ones from Griot’s Garage, and
McKee’s 37, to be more specific.

Bob

Mike Phillips
04-04-2018, 09:20 AM
A toothpick works great for getting old dried wax from the edges of stripes or other decal/films... And it won't cause scratches and/or marring to the surrounding paint like a brush will.

I agree. CAREFULLY using a toothpick and running it carefully along the edge to break-up and remove any white residue is a way of minimizing your footprint. Just take your time and work like a surgeon.

•I like using “Dried-on Wax Removers”;
-the ones from Griot’s Garage, and
McKee’s 37, to be more specific.

Bob

I agree with this too....

I've had good luck with the McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic. These are actually my hands in the pictures on this page using this product to remove dried wax off plastic that was aged and backed on...

McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic removes dried on wax from plastic rubber vinyl trim (https://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover-for-plastic.html)

For working around your stripes, apply the product directly to a small fingertip section of a clean, soft microfiber towel and then gently rub along the edge of the graphics.

Afterwards, apply something to protect the graphics and carefully to the paint. McKee's makes a vinyl graphics protectant and products like Optimum Car Wax and SONAX Polymer Net Shield are "clear" products and both are incredibly safe as well as high quality protectants for paint and you could also use them on the graphics.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-04-2018, 09:21 AM
This is my first post here

I now have a 2012 Shelby GT500 with only 5450 miles on it

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Sweet car - low miles....

Let's see some pictures!

:)

Eric Manning
04-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Not sure if I’m doing this right,, struggling with loading pics from my phone

PaulMys
04-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Nothing to add to the great advice given in this thread, but just wanted to say how kick A$$ that Shelby is!

Really nice ride, Eric.

Eric Manning
04-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! I struggled a little bit with the toothpick but along those lines remembered I had this deal tailing brush with a soft rubber tip, with a 50/50 solution of water and krud cutter I did one stroke down and one stroke up with that rubber tip using Little to no pressure then rinsed and dried. I just did this one spot and wanted to get an opinion on using the Krud cutter. I had to order the McKee’s 37 and my OCD forced me to try what I had on hand.