PDA

View Full Version : Finishing polish suggestion

Pages : [1] 2

frag2
04-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Hello,

Long time lurker here. Just wondering what detailers around here think about the following polishes. Im almost out of Carpro Essence and have been thinking of trying something else. Was looking at Griot Perfecting Cream and HD polish. Both of those are about $15 cheaper than Essence for the same volume. Usually I'm dealing with light scratches/swirls.

Anyone with experience using them, opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

custmsprty
04-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Both of those are excellent finishing polishes and excellent values. I own and have used both. You can adjust the finish by adjusting your pad. IE: orange, white etc.

Kamakaz1961
04-02-2018, 02:25 PM
I like 2 Finishing Polishes. 1. Menzerna SF4500 (I believe it is SF3800 now) 2. 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish. I know 3M says this product is designed for rotaries only, however, I have had no issues with any DA. That includes my PC7424XP. I mainly use this product with my Flex 3401. Both of these products get rid of light scratches and swirls. They don't dust either.

But these are my 2 go-to finishing polishes.

MarkD51
04-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Your suggestions, and as well the other poster's are all good ones.
Another good Finishing Polish to not overlook, is fairly priced, and is easily gotten is Meguairs #205 Ultra Finishing Polish in the qt beige bottle.

Ancient1
04-02-2018, 06:04 PM
I would think about getting both. I have not tried the GG but on 2 of the 3 cars I tried the HD/3D polish's on I found them to be too much trouble to work with. They had a very short working time and tough to remove. From all the rave reviews here I am sure mine was an isolated case but the problems I encountered were on a black 2012 KIA and a black 2015 F150 even tho were fine on my Audi. Between the two that caused problems it was all the forms of them polish+, Adapt. cut+, 501 and 502.

On the 150 it was polish+, adapt, and 502 on the KIA it was cut+, adapt and 501. I ended up going with FG400 on the KIA and SF3500 on the 150. What I am saying is it doesn't hurt to have more than one polish available considering each paint is different.

PaulMys
04-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Both of those are excellent finishing polishes and excellent values. I own and have used both. You can adjust the finish by adjusting your pad. IE: orange, white etc.

^^^This^^^

You turned me on to Speed, and from there I've gotten a few more HD products. Love them.

Was curious about the GG Boss line, so I ordered Fast CC, CC, and PC. Also, VISITOR was kind enough to send me a sample of the Finishing Sealant.

IMO, 3D and GG are almost interchangeable. Both lines are excellent.

Have not got to test the FS vs. Speed yet as it's still #*@! winter here, but looking forward to it.

BudgetPlan1
04-02-2018, 08:59 PM
HD Polish+, M205, Jescar Finishing Polish, Rupes Keramik

Scholl S40, Rupes Diamond

Menz 3800 never really made much of a difference for me. Scholl S40 doesn't do much on some paint, but when it finds a soft, sticky paint it likes it's really good.

dlc95
04-02-2018, 11:03 PM
The two I use most are M205, and Keramik, followed by Menzerna SF4000 (3500) and Ultimate Polish.

M205 I buy by the gallon. I like the consistency of the liquid, and I like the feel it creates on the paint surface as I'm polishing. I like the way it can be more or less aggressive depending on pad choice, pressure, and tool speed. I also like that I don't have to cycle the abrasives down. I can do one pass, and see where I'm at. Sometimes one or two passes with M205 is all I need, which make for a huge time and effort savings. It has done great with all the tools I've used it on - Flex PE14, Flex 3401, Porter Cable 7424, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Mini. M205 is also one of the easiest for residue wipe off, which again makes for great efficiency.

I've had one black vehicle where it just wouldn't finish down, but looking back, I may not have been aggressive enough to remove the d/a haze created by the D300/microfiber. In that case Menzerna PF2500 on LC Tangerine Hydrotech pads ended up being all I needed to complete the job.

I find that It's ridiculously easy for me to attain unreasonable levels of gloss with Menzerna SF4000. True I have to cycle the abrasives, but the finish it leaves is undeniable. Seems to be an underrated product these days, and I tend to save it for the more critical finishing jobs.

Rupes Keramik is another polish that is very easy to get great gloss. Recently learned that It's a non diminishing abrasive product (Obsessed Garage with Jason Rose sanding video), so I'll have to experiment short cycling it. On foam it does a great job cleaning up light defects, much like SF4000 (3500), but also works great with microfiber pads for more moderate defects. I get a lot of mileage from Keramik on microfiber for one step jobs. The performance, and result reminds me a lot of Menzerna SF4000. It just a bit easier to wipe off.

The Guz
04-03-2018, 12:47 AM
Perfecting Cream is actually pretty nice. I was not a fan of HD Polish.

Others have mentioned other good finishing polishes. Sonax EX 04-06, Optimum Hyper Polish and Gyeon Polish are a couple more.

SWETM
04-03-2018, 02:22 AM
IMO it depends on what you are going to apply after the finishing polish. If you are going to apply cquartz coating I would not switch to another finishing polish. Just cause essence is a primer with a smaller amount of abrasive than a polish and it has sio2 that extend the longevity of carpro coatings. If you like how essence corrects and finish I would go with carpro reflect. Which is the same abrasive as in essence but more of them in reflect.

Otherwise you have got some great recommendation above.

fightnews
04-03-2018, 05:10 AM
Hello,

Long time lurker here. Just wondering what detailers around here think about the following polishes. Im almost out of Carpro Essence and have been thinking of trying something else. Was looking at Griot Perfecting Cream and HD polish. Both of those are about $15 cheaper than Essence for the same volume. Usually I'm dealing with light scratches/swirls.

Anyone with experience using them, opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Menzerna polishes are really good

BadgerRivFan
04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
I'll throw a couple more into the mix that I've enjoyed using... Polish Angel Master Final Polish II and Gyeon Primer.

The PA polish has a long working time, does not dust, and very little product is needed. Really a pleasure to use. I used Gyeon Primer recently as a second refining step after compounding with Griots Fast Correcting Cream and BOSS microfiber pads. It was super easy to use (not as finicky as Essence) and did a terrific job of cleaning up the compounding haze and prepping for a coating. According to Gyeon, you can also top it with the wax or sealant of your choice without having to do a ceramic coating. I'll definitely use Gyeon Primer again as an ultra fine "jeweling" polish.

Others already mentioned such as Griots Perfecting Cream and Sonax EX 04-06 are also great choices.

Ancient1
04-03-2018, 11:49 AM
I'll throw a couple more into the mix that I've enjoyed using... Polish Angel Master Final Polish II and Gyeon Primer.

The PA polish has a long working time, does not dust, and very little product is needed. Really a pleasure to use. I used Gyeon Primer recently as a second refining step after compounding with Griots Fast Correcting Cream and BOSS microfiber pads. It was super easy to use (not as finicky as Essence) and did a terrific job of cleaning up the compounding haze and prepping for a coating. According to Gyeon, you can also top it with the wax or sealant of your choice without having to do a ceramic coating. I'll definitely use Gyeon Primer again as an ultra fine "jeweling" polish.

Others already mentioned such as Griots Perfecting Cream and Sonax EX 04-06 are also great choices.

You know I agree on the PA since I just finished my car with it and followed it up with Escalate lotion topped with syncro. I also used it to finish the flat surfaces of a black KIA I used to test a couple different coating and topper combinations.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/Mobile%20Uploads/2018-02/20180227_164626.jpg~original
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/Uber/2018-04-02%2000.25.28.jpg~original

mwoywod
04-03-2018, 06:09 PM
HD Polish+ and Boss Perfecting Cream are the best polishes on the market. HD Polish+ is non-diminishing and is really flexible to work with. I know guz disliked the original version of HD Polish which in my opinion HD Polish+ is a much better formulation. Also, HD Polish+ works amazing on glass, fiberglass, polycarbonate, rubber, smooth plastic, and textured plastic trim. What makes HD Polish+ special IME is it doesn't leave behind any oily residue like Menzerna or Rupes abrasives tend to do.

Boss Perfecting cream uses possibly the best abrasive technology on the market. If you haven't tried boss perfecting cream it is really something special. It also wipes off clean compared to menzerna and rupes compounds and polishes.

Jescar Micro-finishing polish is great. It's highly lubricated which makes it a great option for forced rotation polishers like the flex 3401 or rotary.

I think Boss Perfecting cream and HD Polish+ utilize better abrasive technology and produce the best finish without worry of excess oils filling and hiding true results but Jescar Micro-finishing polish is super easy to use on virtually any machine.

I'd say you can't go wrong with any one of these 3 finishing polishes.

MrRoo
04-03-2018, 06:48 PM
I use the crap out of megs m205. Always loved it. Still my go to. But I have been using CarPro essence lately with awesome results!! I have also been using a lot of Sonax perfect finish at one of the paint shops I do work for. They have a gallon supply left they want used up before we switch mainly to Essence. Won’t take long as we do airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk