PDA

View Full Version : Orange peel question

jordy17
04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
I have some very light orange peel on repainted panels. You can only see the waviness very up close but it does effect the reflection quite a bit.
My question is what should i do to remove it, i found these pads:

Monello Senza Arancia Orange Peel Sanding Pad 2000grit - 2-pack - 4"/100mm | Carclean.com (https://www.carclean.com/nl/senza-arancia-orange-peel-sanding-pad-2000grit-2-pack-4-100mm.html)

They are made to be used with a polish and claim to remove orange peel and leave a cleaner finish so less polishing is needed. They supposed to be used with a machine but i don't have that so i would do it by hand.

Or would for example a 3000 grit wet sand be better. I don't have a machine polish so it will have to be polish by hand afterwards.

Valky
04-02-2018, 07:40 AM
You would not want to remove them by hand-period.

MarkD51
04-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Hi,
I'm no authority/expert on the topic, but these Pads you link to, as well as the Orange Peel Pads made by Carpro and are sold here are meant to be used with a Orbital Polishing Machine, and in combination with a Compound-Polish.

I'm not sure about hand wet-sanding, I assume that yes, an experienced person could use this method, but the use of a machine afterwards to remove all the damage caused from sanding would need to be removed with a machine for best end results.

Mike Phillips
04-02-2018, 07:49 AM
My question is what should i do to remove it, i found these pads:

The way you remove orange peel or any other type of surface texture is to sand the affected area flat and then remove the sanding marks.

You can hand sand but you'll still need a machine to remove your sanding marks. It's possible to remove sanding marks by hand but I've been doing this a long time I don't meet many people that have the muscle, the skill, the knowledge or experience to actually hand sand and then remove the sanding marks by hand.

If I were you, I would be looking for a machine that can do the work for your.

Where do you live?

Also, linking to outside commercial websites is against the forum rules. The company you linked to doesn't pay for this site. The forum rules are now a TEXT LINK at the top of every page on this forum so there's no excuse for anyone to not be able to "find" the rules or "read" them.

Just a heads up...

:)

JCDetails
04-02-2018, 09:18 AM
The way you remove orange peel or any other type of surface texture is to sand the affected area flat and then remove the sanding marks.

You can hand sand but you'll still need a machine to remove your sanding marks. It's possible to remove sanding marks by hand but I've been doing this a long time I don't meet many people that have the muscle, the skill, the knowledge or experience to actually hand sand and then remove the sanding marks by hand.

You forgot one important factor in hand compounding the sanding marks, Mike...Patience :) Trying to get out sanding marks by hand sounds like hell to me, and I really enjoy detailing!

If I were you, I would be looking for a machine that can do the work for your.

Where do you live?

If it's anywhere near where I'm at (Rhode Island) I'd be happy to lend a hand. Though I have to say, without seeing the level of this orange peel 2000 grit seems a bit aggressive to start with. I'd probably go with 3000 grit abralon/hookit foam backed discs to start. There are also the denim and velvet pads specific to orange peel removal but I have zero experience with those.