PDA

View Full Version : SIO2 spray sealant help

Pages : [1] 2 3

bfenne
03-31-2018, 01:03 PM
For the love of God my heads gonna explode!...lol I have been searching and researching with an effort not to become a product chemist or expert. I am just an old school average Joe who bought a new vehicle with prepped naked paint, trim and glass. I would love to enter into the world of coating technology for my daily driver. That said I am not looking to stock my garage with a ton of products designed for multiple surfaces. I would like find a very versatile product that can be used on many different exterior surfaces and I realize durability may not be the same on all surfaces from said product. It would still be better than wax in my mind.

I want a sio2 coating product that can be sprayed on any vehicle exterior dry surface / applicator pad and applied like a wax to paint, glass, plastic, wheels, moldings/trim . Is that asking to much?...lol I have been looking at Gyeon Can Coat but there has to other products in this catagory that are true SIO2 spray sealants.

These manufacturers do not make it easy to compare ingredients and product capabilities and application. Whats to hide??? Sure would eliminate the frustration and confusion. Maybe some one should come up with a cross reference chart for these coating products to show product grade, surface material compatibility, type application...etc, etc. Any way I want to say THANK YOU for everyone who responds and contributes there knowledge, experience and wisdom for all in all the posts on the forum daily.

PA DETAILER
03-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Britemax Remax SiO2 Hydrophobic Spray Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/britemax-remax-spray-sealant.html)

Would fit your needs. And great ON ANY surface.

bfenne
03-31-2018, 02:30 PM
Thank you Pro 4x!

Seems right in line with my needs. Do you know what the sio2 percentage is? I think Can Coat claims 10% for comparison.

ski2
03-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Britemax Remax SiO2 Hydrophobic Spray Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/britemax-remax-spray-sealant.html)

Would fit your needs. And great ON ANY surface.

What a bargain at $30.00 for 24 OZs!!!! Does the paint have to be as pristine as a coating before applying??

bfenne
03-31-2018, 03:17 PM
I went on there site to see if I could obtain more info but as I am finding most do not publish solids (sio2) content percentages in the spray on's. This does look interesting but I wonder if it is not capable of being a stand alone sio2 coating due to low sio2 content and more of a sio2 coating maintenance quick detailer sio2 topper.

Btrahin
03-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Optimum Hyper Seal is also really good

ski2
03-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Looks like it will work as a stand alone: " Manufactured with ceramic silica technology that leaves your surfaces hydrophobic for up to 6 months, Britemax Remax SiO2 Hydrophobic Spray Sealant can be used as a standalone product or as a booster for your Britemax Amethyst Quartz Ceramic Coating or Britemax Igneous Quartz Ceramic Coating."

bfenne
03-31-2018, 03:29 PM
I did read that but marketing is marketing. Do you know what the product sio2 percentage is? I think that would help me understand its potential better and be able to compare against others.

bfenne
03-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Btrahin, thank you!

Do you know what the sio2 content % is?

BudgetPlan1
03-31-2018, 07:19 PM
I went on there site to see if I could obtain more info but as I am finding most do not publish solids (sio2) content percentages in the spray on's. This does look interesting but I wonder if it is not capable of being a stand alone sio2 coating due to low sio2 content and more of a sio2 coating maintenance quick detailer sio2 topper.Products that were at one time primarily focused on being coating maint products have seemingly recently been re-focused as stand alones.

I'd stick with CanCoat; it'll last longer.

bfenne
03-31-2018, 07:34 PM
BudgetPlan1 Thank you!

I am looking Gyeon Can Coat as my front runner simply because they spell out what it is and state sio2 content %. That said there has to be competitors that are very similar but my dumb A$$ is struggling to find and compare them. Do you know of others like Can Coat?

BudgetPlan1
03-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Autogeek user "The Guz" likes CanCoat where appropriate, as do others.

I believe one Autopia user actually got a year out if it, maintaining only by washing with Gyeon Bathe+ (SiO2 infused wash soap)

CanCoat is neat stuff, quick and easy to apply, good performance.

Offhand, I can't think if anything else like CanCoat.

FUNX650
03-31-2018, 08:33 PM
I did read that but marketing is marketing.

Do you know what the product
sio2 percentage is?

Speaking of Marketing...

•IMO:
-All it took to create a new “buzz” in the
detailing community was a somewhat
innovative (AFAIC: shrewd; duplicitous)
labeling change-up.

-This change-up is an attempt at convincing
folks that—all of a sudden—there is a distinct
disconnect between: “Ceramic; Quartz; Ceramic
Quartz; Nano-Ceramic; etc.”...aaaand SiO2 ?!?!

I’ve yet to be convinced.

Bob

The Guz
03-31-2018, 11:03 PM
For the love of God my heads gonna explode!...lol I have been searching and researching with an effort not to become a product chemist or expert. I am just an old school average Joe who bought a new vehicle with prepped naked paint, trim and glass. I would love to enter into the world of coating technology for my daily driver. That said I am not looking to stock my garage with a ton of products designed for multiple surfaces. I would like find a very versatile product that can be used on many different exterior surfaces and I realize durability may not be the same on all surfaces from said product. It would still be better than wax in my mind.

I want a sio2 coating product that can be sprayed on any vehicle exterior dry surface / applicator pad and applied like a wax to paint, glass, plastic, wheels, moldings/trim . Is that asking to much?...lol I have been looking at Gyeon Can Coat but there has to other products in this catagory that are true SIO2 spray sealants.

These manufacturers do not make it easy to compare ingredients and product capabilities and application. Whats to hide??? Sure would eliminate the frustration and confusion. Maybe some one should come up with a cross reference chart for these coating products to show product grade, surface material compatibility, type application...etc, etc. Any way I want to say THANK YOU for everyone who responds and contributes there knowledge, experience and wisdom for all in all the posts on the forum daily.

I'm a big fan of CanCoat. I like that it is pretty versatile and that it has some coating like characteristics. I have primarily used it for paint but I have seen others use it on wheels, glass and trim. I think it is a great option for someone looking to get into coatings.

Maintain it with Gyeon Cure which can also be used on every single surface and you will be quite content.

I polished my mom's daily driver with Gyeon Primer Polish. Let it sit for 24 hours and gave it a light prep wipe. Followed up with a coat of CanCoat. That was 7 months ago and CanCoat has been doing quite well these past few months. I use Cure on it once every 2 months with CarPro Ech20 at 1:20 in between washes as a drying aid. I am in Southern California where the sun is plenty and the rain is not. But at 7 months this combination is doing quite well. Left some impressive gloss.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3482/medium/Gyeon_Primer_and_Cancoat.jpg

Thank you Pro 4x!

Seems right in line with my needs. Do you know what the sio2 percentage is? I think Can Coat claims 10% for comparison.

I found this old post stating the SiO2 of CanCoat is closer to 30%

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/110803-silica-content-4.html#post1501732

Silica spray sealants contain much less. For example I believe Reload claims less than 5%. As Budget mentioned it is becoming quite the norm for people to be using these silica spray sealants as stand alone forms of protection. The downside is that they are not long lasting forms of protection. The upside is that they are easy to use and can be used often. Sort of like a spray wax.

BudgetPlan1 Thank you!

I am looking Gyeon Can Coat as my front runner simply because they spell out what it is and state sio2 content %. That said there has to be competitors that are very similar but my dumb A$$ is struggling to find and compare them. Do you know of others like Can Coat?

CanCoat is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment as a stand alone in this type of category. It sounds like this is exactly what you are looking for based on your original post.

You can kind of add Gloss Coat to this as well. I used it on paint and trim and it did ok. Can be used on all surfaces but it is not a sprayable coating. It's not recommended for the front glass as the abrasion from wiper blades will remove it. Gloss Coat is a hybrid coating consisting of SiO2/SiC (silicon carbide) CanCoat has more aggressive water behavior than Gloss Coat.

bfenne
04-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Thank you "The Guz"!

Always good to hear and see others first hand experiences. Car looks great also! I have know doubt Gyeon Can Coat is a fantastic product and an excellent choice to fit my needs. By default I will purchase and kudos to Gyeon for recognizing a mass consumer need and filling that gap. Hard to believe other companies have not followed suit with there own versions of this high quality and super flexible usability. I will also o with Gyeon Cure for maintenance.

Maybe someone will develop a cross reference chart for the sio2 family of coatings.

Thanks again to all for there help.