PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon Can Coat first timer needs help.

Mgavin1985
03-30-2018, 07:30 AM
Hello all I was torn between mckees coat and can coat. I went with can coat can I apply with the micro suede as a normal coating? My main intent was using it in trim and plastic has anyone had success with this?

JCDetails
03-30-2018, 07:56 AM
Here's Mike's video on cancoat. It explains things pretty well, but usually gyeon's directions are sufficient also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI7AQ2l7l_g&t=319s

Paul A.
03-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Looks like plush MF to apply. How about cure time? What does Gyeon recommend for cure time?

JCDetails
03-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Looks like plush MF to apply. How about cure time? What does Gyeon recommend for cure time?

Looks like the coating fully cures in 24hrs according to the instructions. I would imagine it's safe to drive in 4-8 hours, but would want to keep it dry for at least 12.

Paul A.
03-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Thanks Joe.

Mgavin1985
03-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Thanks Guys I never knew it was 200ml seems like a good buy I wanted to use the the normal coating application method to save product I bet if it worked someone could get about 9-10 applications. That is how I self justify the purchase so I don’t feel guilty. Would this work on let’s say 1 year old coating of CSL if someone wanted to top it

JCDetails
03-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Thanks Joe.

Any time. I may hit the wife's car with CanCoat this spring.

Thanks Guys I never knew it was 200ml seems like a good buy I wanted to use the the normal coating application method to save product I bet if it worked someone could get about 9-10 applications. That is how I self justify the purchase so I don’t feel guilty. Would this work on let’s say 1 year old coating of CSL if someone wanted to top it

I don't see why that'd be a problem. But if the cancoat provides a different look than CSL, you'll get the CanCoat look rather than the CSL.

To top CSL, I'd probably recommend C2v3 over cancoat.

BudgetPlan1
03-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Hello all I was torn between mckees coat and can coat. I went with can coat can I apply with the micro suede as a normal coating? My main intent was using it in trim and plastic has anyone had success with this?

I've applied on top of year old CSL w/ no issues, actually stays cleaner than the original CSL + C2V3; CanCoat has better water behavior than the original Gtechniq combo. CanCoat does 'candy it up' a bit visually. Have used on top of Cquartz as well, with similar refreshing results. Just did the standard decon wash with Gyeon Tar and Gyeon Iron, wiped down with Gyeon Prep, grabbed a few Gyeon PolishWipe towels and refreshed the paint quite nicely. Applied it to black plastic trim as well, no issues, covered it nicely.

Desertnate
03-30-2018, 12:18 PM
If the weather ever warms up, I've got a can ready to use on my wifes DD and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not very keen on using a full size MF towel to apply the CanCoat, but I do have a handful of MF pads like these:

Microfiber applicator pad (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-microfiber-pads.html)

Is there any reason they wouldn't work? I just feel I'd be able to apply the product more accurately and evenly.

JCDetails
03-30-2018, 12:19 PM
If the weather ever warms up, I've got a can ready to use on my wifes DD and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm not very keen on using a full size MF towel to apply the CanCoat, but I do have a handful of MF pads like these:

Microfiber applicator pad (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-microfiber-pads.html)

Is there any reason they wouldn't work? I just feel I'd be able to apply the product more accurately and evenly.

The only thing you might find with an MF pad vs a towel is you run out of real estate. You don't want to use the same surface over more than a couple panels as the coating will start to cure once it's exposed to oxygen. You might just need 4-5 applicator pads to coat a full car, and then toss them when you're done.

Kamakaz1961
03-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Love CanCoat! I use that on my wheels and I use it on a couple of rides that are not garage queens. The IDEAL cure time is 24 hours, however, 12 hours is good. You do have to wait about 2 to 4 hours to apply a 2nd coat. If you do use apply a 2nd coat, be extra careful to wipe off any high spots or imperfections. BTW, you CAN re-use the MF towels after you wash them.

But if you want to be safe, you can always discard the MF towels after use. For CanCoat all you need is 2 excellent quality MF towels. 1 to apply (spray CanCoat on the MF towel if you prefer or spritz and spread), the other to wipe and spread.

BTW, you can use CanCoat for windows and Trim too.

The Guz
03-30-2018, 03:42 PM

A microfiber applicator works but it will load up rather quickly and start to harden. You would probably go through a couple of these using both sides depending on the size of the vehicle. I personally like using it with a microfiber applicator as it is much easier to control than the towel and a much more even coverage. An applicator is so cheap anyway that it is not a big deal tossing it out or a towel.

Love CanCoat! I use that on my wheels and I use it on a couple of rides that are not garage queens. The IDEAL cure time is 24 hours, however, 12 hours is good. You do have to wait about 2 to 4 hours to apply a 2nd coat. If you do use apply a 2nd coat, be extra careful to wipe off any high spots or imperfections. BTW, you CAN re-use the MF towels after you wash them.

But if you want to be safe, you can always discard the MF towels after use. For CanCoat all you need is 2 excellent quality MF towels. 1 to apply (spray CanCoat on the MF towel if you prefer or spritz and spread), the other to wipe and spread.

BTW, you can use CanCoat for windows and Trim too.

CanCoat is indeed great. I had a conversation with Jeff from Gyeon and I asked him about the minimum time for a second coat and if one would have issues applying it 1 hour after the first. His response was 1 hour in between coats is fine. This is good to know to speed up the process at times.

Desertnate
04-02-2018, 08:44 AM
A microfiber applicator works but it will load up rather quickly and start to harden. You would probably go through a couple of these using both sides depending on the size of the vehicle. I personally like using it with a microfiber applicator as it is much easier to control than the towel and a much more even coverage. An applicator is so cheap anyway that it is not a big deal tossing it out or a towel.

Are the MF applicators your talking about a pad like I linked in my post, or a MF patch like I've seen sold elsewhere you wrap around a coating applicator block? Would dropping the applicators straight into a bucket of cleaning solution keep them from hardening?

Thanks. Just trying to think of options. With the weather we're having I won't be doing any detailing for a while, so I might as well overthink the process while I wait!

The Guz
04-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Are the MF applicators your talking about a pad like I linked in my post, or a MF patch like I've seen sold elsewhere you wrap around a coating applicator block? Would dropping the applicators straight into a bucket of cleaning solution keep them from hardening?

Thanks. Just trying to think of options. With the weather we're having I won't be doing any detailing for a while, so I might as well overthink the process while I wait!

I used these. I am sure they could be rinsed out but I just tossed mine.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/microfiber-applicator-pads-39.gif

Mgavin1985
04-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Ok so can coat cane last week got to love the gyeon packaging very slick I’m going to use the blue microfiber block and just watch it to make sure nothing crystallizes and I scratch the paint. Just quick question it will be applied around 65 degrees what has been everyone’s experience with dwell time.