PDA

View Full Version : Glass Clening is driving me to drink

Pages : [1] 2

KiwiTrev
03-29-2018, 02:32 AM
I have been a hobbist detailer for a number of years and can turn out a pretty spiffy looking product.

However, window cleaning is driving me to drink.

I keep on getting cloudy residue in the days after going to what I thought was great detail.

I stick with what I feel should be good product from either Mothers or Meguairs. Watched the full monty from Larry at AMMO and done the scraping, preping and hydrophobic, but never to achieve that residue free outcome, when into the sun or lights from the rear.

I excitedly took delivery of a brand new VW Arteon R-Line 10 days ago and even with brand new glass, good cloths and product, I just can't master that glass detailing.

Any critique or suggestions welcome.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180329/9697350f5267afab2b743ed25df50e6d.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MrRoo
03-29-2018, 06:42 AM
New cars have a lot of out gassing from all the adhesives and plastics. It can do that for over a year. Use an IPA mix with H2o. Some vehicles are worse than others with out gassing causing a haze. Make sure your microfibers are washed properly with no residue from any detergent. I use megs glass cleaner concentrate mixed with only RO water for regular cleaning.

Dan Tran
03-29-2018, 06:50 AM
New cars have a lot of out gassing from all the adhesives and plastics. It can do that for over a year. Use an IPA mix with H2o. Some vehicles are worse than others with out gassing causing a haze. Make sure your microfibers are washed properly with no residue from any detergent. I use megs glass cleaner concentrate mixed with only RO water for regular cleaning.

I personally would agree.

Recently started using an IPA mix to help break down the haze. After that’s all wiped up, I’ll follow up with my favorite glass cleaner sometimes using at least a three towel method to reduce streaks as best as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

luckydawg
03-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Read this-- its by Mike Phillips
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/117373-still-struggling-streaking-any-suggestions.html?highlight=

Don M
03-29-2018, 12:07 PM
I just started using a Mr Clean magic eraser and Invisible Glass it made a huge difference in my end results.

WillSports3
03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
I user car pro eraser ad a Window cleaner. Or what I do is to use on untinted class, I just use m37 glass restore polish. Works out great.

Coach Steve
03-29-2018, 05:54 PM
I feel your pain because I've been there. First of all, don't be too hard on yourself. It's not the easiest task to master. Here are a few tips I'll offer that, hopefully, will help.
It definitely takes practice, patience and more than anything, IMHO, pristine clean towels used for nothing else and co-mingled and washed with nothing else than towels used for glass.
If you clean the windshield of a smoker, demote that towel to general use.
If your glass towels have been washed with any other towels, replace them.
If they've ever been washed with fabric softener (either already mixed in the detergent or as an additive) or dried in a load with softener sheets, replace them.
If they've ever been washed with other types of towels, replace them.
No matter how many times you wash a towel that has been exposed to the above conditions, you'll NEVER completely remove all of the residue remaining on/in the towel.
If you're using a towel that has been exposed to these conditions, you're fighting a battle you'll never win.

With regard to the cleaner you use......, well, that's more a personal preference. Every detailer has their favorite that they swear by and will get up on their respective soap boxes about, so there isn't really one "be all, end all" product. You'll just have to find the one that provides the results you are happy with.
Me, I use Sprayway in the aerosol can. It's almost impossible to leave streaks, it evaporates very quickly, it's available everywhere, it's very inexpensive, requires no mixing and I get outstanding results with it.
Whenever possible use a quality squeegee and protect the rubber on it. When the rubber becomes worn or damaged in any way, replace it. A squeegee with a nick in the blade will drive you nuts!
Use enough cleaner that the area remains wet until YOU dry it. Using too little cleaner can cause streaks as well.
Be sure the glass is as cool to the touch as possible given the operating conditions. The warmer the glass, the less time you have to work and the more likely it is to streak.
If the window is really dirty, as in, has debris or standing dirt on it, wipe the window down with a wet towel so you aren't dragging it around the glass and embedding it into your towel.
IMHO it's impossible to clean a window and produce completely clear, streak-free glass with a single towel. I generally use 2-3 towels. You can usually use the same 2-3 towels over an entire vehicle, but use each for the same step in the process.

Best of luck with this. It's frustrating, I know but you'll eventually get it and it'll be locked in. I promise!

LEDetailing
03-29-2018, 06:34 PM
I feel your pain because I've been there. First of all, don't be too hard on yourself. It's not the easiest task to master. Here are a few tips I'll offer that, hopefully, will help.
It definitely takes practice, patience and more than anything, IMHO, pristine clean towels used for nothing else and co-mingled and washed with nothing else than towels used for glass.
If you clean the windshield of a smoker, demote that towel to general use.
If your glass towels have been washed with any other towels, replace them.
If they've ever been washed with fabric softener (either already mixed in the detergent or as an additive) or dried in a load with softener sheets, replace them.
If they've ever been washed with other types of towels, replace them.
No matter how many times you wash a towel that has been exposed to the above conditions, you'll NEVER completely remove all of the residue remaining on/in the towel.
If you're using a towel that has been exposed to these conditions, you're fighting a battle you'll never win.

With regard to the cleaner you use......, well, that's more a personal preference. Every detailer has their favorite that they swear by and will get up on their respective soap boxes about, so there isn't really one "be all, end all" product. You'll just have to find the one that provides the results you are happy with.
Me, I use Sprayway in the aerosol can. It's almost impossible to leave streaks, it evaporates very quickly, it's available everywhere, it's very inexpensive, requires no mixing and I get outstanding results with it.
Whenever possible use a quality squeegee and protect the rubber on it. When the rubber becomes worn or damaged in any way, replace it. A squeegee with a nick in the blade will drive you nuts!
Use enough cleaner that the area remains wet until YOU dry it. Using too little cleaner can cause streaks as well.
Be sure the glass is as cool to the touch as possible given the operating conditions. The warmer the glass, the less time you have to work and the more likely it is to streak.
If the window is really dirty, as in, has debris or standing dirt on it, wipe the window down with a wet towel so you aren't dragging it around the glass and embedding it into your towel.
IMHO it's impossible to clean a window and produce completely clear, streak-free glass with a single towel. I generally use 2-3 towels. You can usually use the same 2-3 towels over an entire vehicle, but use each for the same step in the process.

Best of luck with this. It's frustrating, I know but you'll eventually get it and it'll be locked in. I promise!

Great post, especially regarding the contamination that ruins glass towels.

The Guz
03-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Nick has some good tips for exterior and interior glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_dKSRhVAxw

This same process works for the film inside the glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxN360ZfBo

LEDetailing
03-29-2018, 06:45 PM
I noticed something recently when cleaning the glass screen on my computer monitor. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the faint smears and streaks completely removed. The monitor shows the imperfections especially well due to the black LED board/display behind the glass. I realized I could only completely remove the streaks with a completely dry, clean, no-nap, high quality, glass dedicated MF towel.

Try using three to four glass dedicated towels. Clean the glass 2-3 times, allow the glass to dry. Then try a dry buff with the last towel. To test the clarity of the glass, pull your car into a dark garage and inspect the glas with a bright flashlight.

UncleDavy
03-29-2018, 08:12 PM
I like to use Invisible Glass on the exterior with a three towel method. It works well for me with no streaks. On the interior I have been using ZapCloth with a little water and it is a superb product. It cleans streak free without chemicals.

Coach Steve
03-29-2018, 09:22 PM
I noticed something recently when cleaning the glass screen on my computer monitor. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the faint smears and streaks completely removed. The monitor shows the imperfections especially well due to the black LED board/display behind the glass. I realized I could only completely remove the streaks with a completely dry, clean, no-nap, high quality, glass dedicated MF towel.

Try using three to four glass dedicated towels. Clean the glass 2-3 times, allow the glass to dry. Then try a dry buff with the last towel. To test the clarity of the glass, pull your car into a dark garage and inspect the glas with a bright flashlight.Even better, pull it into a dark garage and turn the interior lights on in the car. Presto! Instant results. It's very much the same effect when you turn on a black light in a room.

mk9750
03-29-2018, 09:43 PM
When I was first getting serious about detailing, glass was my nemesis as well. Using clean microfiber towels, using 2 at a time, and swapping them out halfway through helped a lot. Using Sprayway glass cleaner improved my results. Switching to waffle weave towels, got me to the point where I think I've got it down pat - EXCEPT the inside rear window! All the other windows prove I have the tools and techniques about right, so the problem is location. I just can't seem to reach back there well enough to do an acceptable job.

I've tried contorting. I've tried the glass cleaning tools. I even hired a neighbor kid to get in there and try.

My story probably doesn't help, but you should know you have company.

KiwiTrev
03-30-2018, 02:14 AM
Steve
Now you have put things into some perspective for me, it all seems a simple concept
Recently moved to MF towel detergent and thought that was a silver bullet, but now I'm off tp the Auto store for their Easter deal on MF towels
Many thanks for your aid
I'll report in with my results

Sent from my SM-N950F using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

KiwiTrev
03-30-2018, 04:18 AM
Didn't twig that new car smell is really a solvent high
Will do the whole IPA thing as a first for me
Cheers thanks for the advice

Sent from my SM-N950F using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)